NCRthree

Premium
United States
Virginia
ncrthree/GTP_ncrthree
Clean Run Challenge #1 2007 MINI at Rome
First Race in the 450pp Mini Seasonal Challenge

The Goal: Your fastest Total Race Time.
The Race Events are basically Time Trials with moving chicanes(AI). Most are only 5 laps so think of it as a longer Time Trial but with other cars on track. Most races will only last 7-10 minutes. Winning the race is not the end goal-it's the Total Race Time like the latest GT5 Seasonal Overtake Challenges.

The Rules:

1. No Driving Aids. Since SRF is forced on, there's more than enough car control available. No TCS, ABS, ASM, Active Steering. Driving Line and Transmission Choice are optional.

2. Tuning Prohibited. No added parts, ballast, weight or engine stages. We may add power if a car is too slow for a decent run but that will be very specific. Brake Balance is all that can be adjusted.

3. Tires. Once more because of SRF we'll be using 1 less grade than the AI.

4. Track Rules: Only fully clean runs. 2 wheels on track at all times. No wall contact. No initiated AI contact. This is what will make this a REAL challenge! Avoiding other cars may be the hardest aspect.

5. 10 Maximum Clean Runs. Restarts or dirty Runs do not count toward the total. Winning the race is not necessary for a submission.

Specs: 2007 MINI on Comfort Soft Tires. No added parts.
I just bought a new one. With initial oil change it specs out to 175hp 1210 kg 397 pp. With a few runs this will go up.

Rome will be a real challenge for the first outing. Lots and lots of walls and several very tight AI passing spots. Good Luck!

Last edited:
MadMax86 7:20.741
Lewis_Hamilton_ 7:23.733
MustangManiac 7:23.779
NCRthree 7:25.431
GTsail290 7:26.051
Giulietta73 7:27.017
Machinehead 7:27.848
Both Barrels 7:29.223
Ryk 7:29.557
cbcvabch 7:37.145

Last edited:
After about 45 minutes and 3 clean runs (lots and lots of restarts!) my 07 is at 177 hp 399pp.

Best today 7:28.015

Cool idea, you say no added parts, then say transmission choice optional. Which is it? What about other drivetrain choices? I'm going to give it a go this evening.

Cool idea, you say no added parts, then say transmission choice optional. Which is it? What about other drivetrain choices? I'm going to give it a go this evening.

Transmission optional only means automatic or manual transmission. It doesn't mean fully customizable transmission in the tuning options.

Wow. Looks like I need to find a whopping 2 sec/lap.

Any prohibition against going to cm's or ch's?

Last edited:
Gave this a go. First clean run resulted in a finishing time of 7:23.733. I was caught behind the AI in the bottle neck sections several times, I probably lost around 5-6 seconds. Replay saved.

If I can time the AI right, and keep mistakes to a minimum, I'll try and aim for 7:15-7:18.

Gave this a go. First clean run resulted in a finishing time of 7:23.733. I was caught behind the AI in the bottle neck sections several times, I probably lost around 5-6 seconds. Replay saved.

If I can time the AI right, and keep mistakes to a minimum, I'll try and aim for 7:15-7:18.

That's great Lewis! I knew you'd be quick.

Timing is everything for sure. I got a much quicker run and on lap 4, BAM! I
smacked the last car. Between holding in my shoulders to not scrape the walls and timing the AI, I've had some infuriating moments.

@Ills1999- CS is the regs for this run.

Did one run, too much minor contact to not be DQed, but finished anyways with something like a 7:31, 3rd place. I figure this was an easy enough car to first try ABS 0 on, but I guess the SRF is probably bailing me out. That's all I could get time to do today, probably won't get 10 runs in until most of the way through the week.

EDIT, April 2: Think that 7:31 time was misremembered. Must have been 7:37 or so. Did A DQ'ed 7:33. Seem to be having more trouble not hitting things than using ABS 0.

Last edited:
^You do not need to do 10 Runs. That's the maximum number of clean runs allowed. One submission is all that's needed.

After only two clean runs, I'm at 7:29.223. Went 3 seconds better, but clipped the outside of the last turn...frustrating...

Only have a couple more attempts left. Best for now 7:25.431. I had a couple tenths better run but had put 3 tires in the green painted area through the last turns. Seems like the last lap with no cars I get nervous on.

Interesting concept NCRthree👍

I think I will give this a try. A nice change of pace from my usual Seasonal runs.

I've made 8 attempts and my best time is 7:26.818

I think I can find another second if the AI and my skills will cooperate, but I'm certainly near my max after 8 full attempts and maybe 16 re-starts due to AI/wall contact.:grumpy::yuck:

Good luck to everyone!
GTsail

Made a 7:30.092 with a best lap of 1:29.135 this morning before work. I know there is more time to be had if I can get lucky with where I catch some traffic.

Gave this a go again today after work, posted a 7:29.282 with a best lap of 1:28.328 and then remembered to check my oil...duh. After an oil change I made some very aggressive (extremely lucky) passes and knew it was a good run when I made the pass for P1 before lap 5 began. I was really surprised to see I made a 7:23.779, best lap of 1:27.917. Street courses are usually my least favorite, like I said, I made a couple of very lucky passes on that last run.

Last edited:
Two more full runs, so I've done the alotted 10 runs.:cool:

I was able to find just a bit more speed, so my best time was 7:26.051

Great fun!

GTsail

There we go: 7:27.848.
After about 5 runs with no restarts even though I hit something or other every time, I felt I had enough of a feel for it, and started going for the serious full run. Got a bit frustrating because I'm so used to ignoring minor contact, but I got the clean, reasonably fast run in in fine time. Still could do better, but I think It's time to move on.

Great! Nice run. I'm not going back to this one either. It takes a few rough runs to get the rhythm of walls and AI down. Thanks for taking part.

Roma... ah Bella!

Got my Mini Cooper S (Jack Brabhams Birthday a day or two ago...)
Painted it the usual colours. Altered the BB 3/2

175bhp at 397PP

I didn't know what to expect, so I was a bit dora the explorer at first.

1m29.7 - 7m33.0 (2nd place by 1.0s)

Car felt fun enough, but if you muck up the car seems to hang on in an odd way. I also spotted the inside front wheel spooling up when I came out of corners (Obviously I am doing something wrong!)
The interesting bits on this was I managed back to back laps of 1m30.083 which messed up the lap times somehow...
30.818 - 28.201 - 31.064
30.446 - 28.717 - 30.920

Bonkers.
I repeated the event.
1m30.2 - 7m33.4 (2nd place by 1.4 seconds)
I think I was just of the boil for this one.

Third time
1m29.239 - 7m29.557

Much better all flying laps were sub 1m30 and the final lap was faster as I didn;t have a car ahead mucking up my lines.

I Hooked a curb (Erm the tight right hander before the Circus Maximus straight... and the car bobbled a bit and the right front over heated... I blamed it on hitting the curbstone - but later had the same result from a smooth clean line here.

I am not a Front wheel drive bloke so not sure what I am doing wrong or right.

Had fun The traffic can easily ruin a race, but it was enjoyable to make "pressure passes" in a hurry rather than wait a few corners a pick them off in a safe place.

That said it was a pain if you got one just ahead of you and you have to back right out of it - the Temple of Heracles left right chicane job just before the second time split was a real bottle neck at times. Made worse if the AI clobbered the left side barrier and rebounded into your path... so you avoid and scrub speed away.

neat fun. I am sure wonce you nail down the proper way to take each corner you can see race time plummit.

Thanks for the PM NCR, apologies for not replying sooner, been on holiday.
Great idea!! Here's my Rome time:

Had to pass the 2nd car on the back straight before changing into 4th gear to stand a chance of a sub 7.30! Shame there was noone to draft on the last lap!!!
lap 1 1.30.442
lap 2 1.28.736
lap 3 1.28.353
lap 4 1.29.402
lap 5 1.30.084

Now on to the other events!!:D

7:20.637 , dirty. locked the brakes and rearended AI while going uphill in last sector.

1st clean run

178 bhp 1210kg 399pp

7:20.741 , margin of win 10.782 seconds. (passed the rabbit in first sector / lap 4)

laps:
1:29.920
1:27.939
1:27.905
1:27.317
1:27.660

Shifting up at 5750 rpm

Brakes 3/2

MadMax

Back