Clean Run Challenge #10-Honda weider HSZ-010 at Tokyo (No SRF)

• Thread starter NCRthree
  • 15 comments

NCRthree

Premium
United States
Virginia
ncrthree/GTP_ncrthree

CRC10 by Giulietta37, on Flickr
Photo courtesy of Giulietta73

Clean Run Challenge #10 '11 Honda weider HSV-010 (Super GT) at Tokyo R246
First Race in the 600pp Super GT Seasonal-5 laps

Specs: 2011 Honda weider HSV-010 on Race Hard Tires.
No added parts. A new Premium HSV-010 came to 501hp 1100kg @592pp. This will increase of course. Feel free to break in your car.

After the tire mix up with the Vette, here's something to hopefully make up for any frustrations at least grip wise. I love this car....a LOT. So glad PD added this to the Premium GT mix. Perfect balance, turn in and pretty fast it's a great drive through the streets of Tokyo. Love the semi obstructed but nicely detailed cockpit view and screaming sound. A winner all the way around.

THE GOAL:
Your fastest Total Race Time. The Race Events are basically Time Trials with moving obstacles (AI). Most are only 5 laps so think of it as a longer Time Trial but with other cars on track. Most races will only last 7-10 minutes. Winning the race is not the end goal-it's the Total Race Time like the latest GT5 Seasonal Overtake Challenges.

THE RULES:

1. No Driving Aids. No SRF, TCS, *ABS, ASM, Active Steering. Driving Line and Transmission Choice are optional. For inexperienced ABS OFF drivers check out this great guide: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=267564&highlight=guide+tO+no+abs

**If you are new to ABS OFF and having difficulty you may use the assist. Experienced no assists drivers are expected to not use it. There will be a separate leaderboard. Please note "ABS" when submitting. Thanks.

2. Tuning Prohibited. No added parts, ballast, weight or engine stages. We may add power if a car is too slow for a decent run but that will be very specific. Brake Balance is all that can be adjusted.

3. Tires. Race Hards

4. Track Rules: Only fully clean runs. 2 wheels on track at all times. Rumble Strips are part of the track. The white line is the boundary otherwise. Minimal wall contact OK. It will only slow you down anyway. *No initiated AI contact. This is what will make this a REAL challenge! Avoiding other cars may be the hardest aspect. Approach the driving like it's a real life track day.

*NOTE* For Challenges involving Race Cars, minor contact is acceptable in straight sections only. No initiated contact in corners however. No Dive Bombing.

Note: To be clear on what constitutes a "clean" pass, we will use this rule from the GTP OLR:

You must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead before they reach the corner’s turn-in point to have the right to drive up their inside, or to expect them to leave inside room for you. At least the front of your car should be up to the driver’s position in the ahead car. The ahead driver has the right to be fully committed to the racing line of their choice without any interference if there was no substantial overlap before he turned in.

So if you've made a clean pass according to this rule and the AI initiates contact, that is acceptable.
In some instances a pass may be accomplished by going inside the AI if they've left sufficient room. As long as you don't initiate contact, it's clean. Just use your best judgement, this is supposed to be fun!

5. 10 Maximum Clean Runs. Restarts or dirty Runs do not count toward the total. Winning the race is not necessary for a submission. No deadline for submitting a time.

Other Clean Run Challenges:
#1. 07 MINI COOPER S at Rome https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=279768
#2. 05 MINI COOPER S at Deep Forest https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=279839
#3. 07 BMW M3 at Nurburgring GP/D (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8360177&posted=1#post8360177
#4. 76 Ferrari 512BB at High Speed Ring https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=280395
#5. 71 Nissan 240ZG at Suzuka East Course (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=280775
#6. 66 Shelby Cobra 427 at Laguna https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=280778
#7. 07 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR at Grand Valley (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=281175
#8. 02 TVR Tamora at Trial Mountain Reverse (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=281579
#9. 09 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 RM at Spa (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=281914

Good Luck everyone!

Results.

Giulietta73 8:19.550
NCRthree 8:19.738
Ryk 8:26.995
StirlingMoose 8:30.062
no1pal 8:30.225
Woodski 427 8:37.144

Last edited:

1st lap - 1.42
Rest were 1.41s
Lovely car!!!! The amount of grip on RH tires is bordering on insane!
Got the 1st car round the outside of turn 1. So much time to be gained against the AI round the long right hander of turn 4. More time in the bag with this one for sure.👍

Edit: 8.23.566
Started finding the groove with this one - with this car I can really push the apex speeds:tup:

Last edited:
I only had time for a quick bash at this one and wasted half the time buying the car. You'd think they didn't want your money with all the rigmarole you have to go through to spend 79p. What a great car though. Didn't manage anything remotely like a clean run but did a couple of 8:40-somethings banger racing style. Could go a lot faster if the AI would get out of my way. Fast cars on racing tyres is not really my bag but it did make a nice change to be fighting the AI more than the car's handling. I won't get a session in or few days now but I'll definitely be returning to this. Tokyo is one of my favourite circuits and this car is superb.

About an hour spent tonight mostly bashing into the walls trying to find the most time through the sweeps. 8:21.467 with a badly muffed last turn unto the long straight. Almost spun out completely hitting the gas too early. I've had a few nice quick laps but not 5 in a row. Had a couple 1:38's but not in a clean set. Kinda tired so best to retire.

This would be a serious cash cow if need be. So much grip, wonder how realistic this handling is.

Had a good session this evening - 8.19.550...replay saved.
It was a heady combination of finding more speed in the 2 corners before the motorway section downhill, getting even earlier on the gas around the loop of turn 4 and the engine breaking in!!!
1st place by turn 1 on lap 3. NICE!👍

Very good choice NCR.
I like racing on Tokyo and it's a good track. But it's a track, for some reason, that I still haven't figured out yet.

The Weider is a great car, very nimble. Except for that cross bar on the windshield :boggled: I'm constanly catching my self in streching my neck for a better view out of my cockpit :P

So far, I have managed two clean races. The best so far: 8:34:479
BL: 1:41:1xx B/B 4/1
Not sure about the line up, because I'm not that familiar with GT500. It was a red NSX up front and I passed him on the beginning of the last lap.

@ giulietta: nice time :drool:

I'd done a few laps of the Fuji TT using this car so shipped over to Tokyo, gave it oil change and defaulted a settings sheet: 502 bhp was the result.

My first run was clean, which was slightly annoying as I was trying to to get the feel for Tokyo, not having been there for while. It didn't even give me a clue about AI positions as I was in p10 on my own for 3 laps.

First clean, a steady 8:58.882.

After that I started attacking and with a few restarts and two completed dirty races I was looking at 8:41, with a only minor scrape of the wall. Not confident in several areas on this track as I often clip (or bounce off) the wall/barriers, but was getting better each time.

The car is sweet though, and DS3 friendly. I hope I'll get another go soon, and improve that dismal time :lol:.

Alright Giulietta73, that's a good run you've put up. I'm on it tonight-hoping to break into the teens myself.

Next Challenge will be a bit more tricky. It probably won't envolve running any solo laps and it's on a rarely used track. I won't reveal it until tomorrow but I'll say it's going to be a night race that's no walk in the park to win. You might be able to EeK out a win though.

Still no clean run to report I'm sorry to say. Numerous restarts, trying too hard to get past the back-markers on the first lap, first corner sometimes. Then I did an 8:30.xxx, marred by one small tap when I was backing out of a move that was never on, got trapped between the wall and the AI and just caught his rear as he turned in.
Great times, Giulietta73 and NCRthree. My BL was 1.40.8 on the clear road. You guys must be going through the traffic as fast as that.
Hopefully I'll be able to report a clean time over the weekend. This car is a joy though, isn't it?

^Stirling- don't get too concerned about minimal amounts of contact. Like I wrote in the race rules above, some minor contact is fine. Just no diving into the AI and shoving them out of the way in corners.

But yeah, part of the challenge is timing passes through the traffic. I know I attempt some questionable passes just to see if it's possible. Sometimes I'll scoot through cleanly wondering how that happened. Nothing I would try in online racing!

We've been running these for a little while now and I'm open to suggestions. I've found the most frustrating part is AI contact for sure. I'm thinking we should just keep it to minimal contact for all Events not just race cars. 5 laps can last a long time and some minor contact in late laps has ruined some otherwise clean runs. It wasn't my intention for these to become super frustrating or become 4 hour fuming sessions.

Edit: One more try at Tokyo yielded a 8:19.738 BL of 1:39.293 on lap 2. Been running a B/B of 3/1. I think I'm done here, that was my goal-into the teens.

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about the minimal contact rule for race cars. I'd saved the replay and watching it back I reckon it complied with that, so put me down for a 8:30.062. I hadn't finished this set first time round and I was having so much fun in this car I did three other races in it, Tsukuba, Laguna Seca and SSR5.
I might have a go at the new Civic one tonight. I remember having a lot of trouble winning that one in a tuned car with ABS so it should be interesting.
Suggestions for future events - How about the Ferrari P4 330 round Cote d'Azure in the Historic Cup? Might be a problem if people haven't got the car already though. It's a tad pricey.

two runs

First was with my car - as is - with "Set up A" -
Level 2 turbo
11kilos of ballast 24clicks forward.
Aero at 40/65
trick gearbox
3.7/2.6/1.95/1.55/1.25/1.0 and 4.0 (199 estimate)
15/25/20 diff
-9/-3 Ride
14.3/13.3 spring
6 for all shocks in all corners
7 for the ARB
2.8°/1.3° camber
0.14°/0.09° toe in
3-1 brakes bias

With this set up I set a time of...

1m39.861 FL and 8m26.912 (Win by 5.45 seconds) (Illegal set up time for comparsion only)

The car had 503bhp/1111kg and 600pp

I then moved to SET UP B

Some say he tests wheel geometry with his own feet and that his skins tastes of dolphin all I know is that he is Polyphony Digitals favourite Portuguese set up master... "De Fault"

30/55 aero I altered the brakes to 3/2

this car now had...
484bhp and 1100kg and tipepd the PP scales at... 587PP

Had good fun blasting about. such a nice engine note.

1m40.408 FL and 8m26.995 (win by 4.884)

I know the first time is not valid - just putting the numbers up.
the race times are broadly the same... the loss of power and set up prowess balanced out wit hthe circuit knowledge and track time.

The car was a bit loose in places no impacts, but I love the ripple sound on the apexes when you just miss the armco but are still tyre logo width from hitting the steel.

Loads of fun discovering just how late you can brake for turn 1 (Icho-Namiki Dori) ... (Not just before 200m!)

Did get brake tested by cars clustering on the main straight into the flat out right kink opposite the pits at the end of the lap. - Still the win was pretty obvious so no need to "Perez" every AI car Passing points were pretty easy the odd choke point wrongfooting me slightly. But for the most part the AI are quite polite when you do get on one side of them. Complications were when you have a coupe of AI in formation.

I guess I got the weakest grid to get wins Loads of places I am not exactly happy about my approach. the Akasaka Palace chicane at the back of the circuit (Full concentration high speed job) I pussy foot through.
Car felt pretty loose on the up hill right that follows it (Past the Maranouchi Subawy line) - and all along the next bit Sutobori dori (Were they not in the Hobbit?) I was lifting for confidence. (Driving like a girl.)

My Honda now has 128 miles on it... after 10 laps / 32miles of this event.

1m40.408 FL and 8m26.995 (win by 4.884)

Last edited:
Was able to squeeze in an hour of race time on Sunday. Made just one clean run. Time: 8:30:225. Besides for a slow first lap (1:44.3xx), the other laps where consistent. Ranging from 1:41:1xx - 1:41:7xx
With a better first lap, I'm hopefully going to breach in to the high 8:20s

Another rare wheel session last night so I was planning to have a go at a couple of challenges. Firstly finished the Classic Japanese Seasonal in a tuned Bellet to get used to the wheel. Then to Tokyo with a few more horses.

First 3 laps were OK, a few scrapes but getting the feel for the HSV and Tokyo, then a few restarts to get a decent first lap. After half an hour and one completed dirty race I realised I wasn't going to be attempting any other challenges! I was getting two good laps then screwing up lap 3 or 4 for some reason: clipping a barrier, attempting a dubious overtake, hitting power while on the curbs, or totally underestimating how slow the AI are through some of the corners...

By being a bit more cautious I eventually strung together a second clean race: 8:37.144 for P2, 4.2 behind the winner.

My best laps (but not in this race) were low 1:41 and a good first lap was 1:43.3xx so if I could be consistent and clean I could get a decent time. Enjoyed the racing in the end, once I got used to the track, I definitely found it much, much better with wheel over DS3.

Back