Clean Run Challenge#13 Lamborghini Murcielago at Autumn Ring (No SRF)

• Thread starter NCRthree
  • 19 comments

NCRthree

Premium
United States
Virginia
ncrthree/GTP_ncrthree

CRC13 by Giulietta37, on Flickr
Photo courtesy of Giulietta73

Clean Run Challenge #13 '09 Lamborghini Murcielago LP 640 at Autumn Ring Reverse
Third Race in the 550pp Lamborghini Exclusive Seasonal 5 Laps

Specs: 2009 Lamborghini Murcielago LP 640 on Sports Soft Tires
No added parts. A new Premium Murcielago came to 642 hp/554 pp Use the Power Limiter and/or Ballast to stay under the pp limit. You may adjust the ballast location. Feel free to break in your car.

Another request this time by acclaimed GT photographer Giulietta73. This car is a beast no doubt about it. This wild Supercar is a handful and Autumn Ring is a perfect playground to try and harness this wild bull. Quick Miuras are hard to hunt down and the rest of the field can be quite sloppy so be careful. This may be our most challenging Event yet.

THE GOAL:
Your fastest Total Race Time. The Race Events are basically Time Trials with moving obstacles (AI). Most are only 5 laps so think of it as a longer Time Trial but with other cars on track. Most races will only last 7-10 minutes. Winning the race is not the end goal-it's the Total Race Time. A 5 lap Overtake Challenge.

THE RULES:
1. No Driving Aids. No SRF, TCS, *ABS, ASM, Active Steering. Driving Line and Transmission Choice are optional. For inexperienced ABS OFF drivers check out this great guide: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=267564&highlight=guide+tO+no+abs

**If you are new to ABS OFF and having difficulty you may use the assist. Experienced no assists drivers are expected to not use it. There will be a separate leaderboard. Please note "ABS" when submitting. Thanks.

2. Tuning Prohibited. No added parts, *ballast, weight or engine stages. We may add power if a car is too slow for a decent run but that will be very specific. Brake Balance is all that can be adjusted.

*As stated above, you may adjust the ballast location. This car is quite tricky.

3. Tires. Sports Softs

4. Track Rules: Only fully clean runs. 2 wheels on track at all times. Rumble Strips are part of the track. The white line is the boundary otherwise. Minimal wall contact OK. It will only slow you down anyway. *No initiated AI contact. This is what will make this a REAL challenge! Avoiding other cars may be the hardest aspect. Approach the driving like it's a real life track day.

Note: To be clear on what constitutes a "clean" pass, we will use this rule from the GTP OLR:

You must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead before they reach the corner’s turn-in point to have the right to drive up their inside, or to expect them to leave inside room for you. At least the front of your car should be up to the driver’s position in the ahead car. The ahead driver has the right to be fully committed to the racing line of their choice without any interference if there was no substantial overlap before he turned in.

So if you've made a clean pass according to this rule and the AI initiates contact, that is acceptable.
In some instances a pass may be accomplished by going inside the AI if they've left sufficient room. As long as you don't initiate contact, it's clean. Just use your best judgement, this is supposed to be fun!

5. 10 Maximum Clean Runs. Restarts or dirty Runs do not count toward the total. Winning the race is not necessary for a submission. No deadline for submitting a time.

Other Clean Run Challenges:
#1. 07 MINI COOPER S at Rome https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=279768
#2. 05 MINI COOPER S at Deep Forest https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=279839
#3. 07 BMW M3 at Nurburgring GP/D (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8360177&posted=1#post8360177
#4. 76 Ferrari 512BB at High Speed Ring https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=280395
#5. 71 Nissan 240ZG at Suzuka East Course (NO SRF) PD removed this Event
#6. 66 Shelby Cobra 427 at Laguna https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=280778
#7. 07 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR at Grand Valley (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=281175
#8. 02 TVR Tamora at Trial Mountain Reverse (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=281579
#9. 09 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 RM at Spa (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=281914
#10. 11 Honda weider HSV-010 at Tokyo (NO SRF)https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=282340
#11. 97 Honda Civic EK RM at Clubman Reverse (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=282794
#12. 67 Ferrari 330 P4 Race Car at Cote d'Azur (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=283201

Good Luck everyone!

Last edited:
Results.

NCRthree 6:49.334
Giulietta73 6:53.595
StirlingMoose 6:58.xxx
Woodski_427 7:11.042

ABS:
yj 6:52.xxx

Last edited:
Alright, this Event will not be easy. No sir.
It took me a LOT of laps to get a feel for this angry bull. It needs full concentration to not let that heavy rear end try and go through the turns first.

I've got a fully broken in car that I tried at 639hp with my weight 75kg at -35. 1740 fat kg's. B/B 4/0. When I had no ballast Turn 1 was getting my front end too light but the trade off is more entry understeer. Just offsetting that with lots of front end pull on early entry. Basically a tire shredding display that drives the crowd wild. So after an hour a best Total of 6:55.862. BL 1:22.862. For 3rd place. I'll try again with less ballast to try and get the understeer toned back.

Lots of patience was required to get the feel or lack thereof down. I really had to adjust my usual driving style. Doubt I could jump back in and be successful. Really wonder how these cars drive in real life. Lamborghini should add a life insurance policy for every test drive.

On my 3rd clean run, got the bull down to 6.53.595. Replay saved.
I have to say that the hours I spent on the Cobra/Laguna Seca challenge has paid dividends!!!!
I reduced the power rather than add ballast - based on my experience grinding the F1 Eifel seasonal, the handling of super cars improves with less power.

The first kink is make or break for me. If you can get to the left hand corner carrying as much speed as possible without spinning out will pay you back loads! I found I was using 1st gear for the tight corners - this beast has surprisingly great traction coming out of corners.
This sounds stupid but I accelerate in a straight line, brake in a straight line and coast many of the fast left right left sequence corners maintaining speed to maximize speed on exit.

There is a groove to be found - honest!!!:eek:

Changed my ballast from so much in front to 20kg at 15. Helped a lot. Understeer minimized. I drove this car at the Nordschleife and needed to keep the front end down but here it's not the case. Much better turn in. Ran for another hour with a best Total of 6:50.873. Laps were in the 1:22's and high 1:21's. Second place finally.

Ok, Giulietta this car isn't that bad! Can't say I like it but for some reason it keeps calling me back for more. Good choice, I think I found the groove.

Well I can't say I've found the groove yet, but I can see that there is one to be found. It didn't help that I misread the entry requirements and started off using SH. Not recommended! It's great on the exits. You can just floor it and away it goes, but the entries are a different matter. I managed one clean run but it was very messy and the time was well over 7 minutes.
Did you guys change the oil because my brand new car was only 614bhp, 547PP with no ballast or power limiter?

This is a fun car to drive on this track. I'm right at 6:52.xxx right now, but I know I can get down to the 40's. I'm running with ABS at 1. (I can't do ABS off with the default controller. Tried many hours and continued to fail.). Thanks for the fun challenge.

I haven't changed the oil. My setup is like NCRthree's.

A couple more clean runs and got below the 7 minute mark. 6:58.xxx despite coming to an almost complete standstill at one point after a massive slide trying to avoid the AI rejoining the track. I can't say I'm finding it a hugely enjoyable ride yet but it's certainly exciting and keeps you on your toes.

Well I can't say I've found the groove yet, but I can see that there is one to be found. It didn't help that I misread the entry requirements and started off using SH. Not recommended! It's great on the exits. You can just floor it and away it goes, but the entries are a different matter. I managed one clean run but it was very messy and the time was well over 7 minutes.
Did you guys change the oil because my brand new car was only 614bhp, 547PP with no ballast or power limiter?

Sure you can do an initial oil change and break in your car also. I'm using one with about 400 miles that I'd been trying to drive on the Nordchleife. Speaking of challenging!

7:11.042 first clean run.

This is another seasonal series I haven't done, but I normally use the Gallardo for Lamborghini events as it is considerably less wild.

As a bit of preparation I took this animal for some practice laps first to reduce the frustration of remembering the track. I was performing a lot of sideways manoeuvres, which looked impressive but didn't improve lap times.

At the race I was getting a taste of my own medicine as the Bobs also struggled with the various Lambos: weaving about dangerously, running off and rejoining the track with gay abandon. I was stuck behind another Murci for most of lap 2 being afraid to make a move.

Not sure if this is fun or torture :lol:, but I think I will try Giulietta's approach next time: be like Crocodile Dundee and calm the beast.

This is one of the few times I've used up all my attempts. Great combo Giulietta! Best I've done is 6:49.334. Same setup as I ran with 20kg@15. 3/0 B/B. BL 1:21.443. Messed up one turn sliding about otherwise a First place may have been close. Missed by about 3/4 second behind a Miura. All done for this challenge, itching to get Gold though. Need some luck scooting by the sliding bots. Looks like we may need a breathalyzer for a couple of them.

I had another go at this tonight but didn't manage a clean run. I'm starting to get the hang of it now and put in some good laps but stringing five together is proving elusive. I can keep it together on a clear track but the AI are a real menace on this one. Isn't there some rule about rejoining the track? Great choice Giulietta, frustrating but compelling.
Anyone fancy doing the Nordschleife in a Muira?

Nice job NCR - I got a 6.50.xxx but the replay showed I had 2 wheels on the grass and 2 on the blue n white kerb. Gutted. Still got 4 runs left.

Cheers Stirling, glad you like it. I did the Nord in the Miura to get gold in the seasonal but had to use SRF - it made a huge difference. I also used the Gallardo with the tune recommended in the thread to get it without SRF. So Nord with the Miura - bring it on!!!:scared:

I tried the Miura yesterday on the Nordchleife. I ran it fully stock on SS tires (I think) but only got 11th place. It will need added hp for sure. I'll add all bolt ons and see, don't want to do any irreversible mods.

I did the Nord in the Miura to get gold in the seasonal but had to use SRF - it made a huge difference.

Me too. Doing it with no srf and abs0 would be a hell of challenge but I seem to be a glutton for punishment these days. I doubt a gold would be possible but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Edit - Another couple of clean runs in the Murcielago got me a 6:57.496. Just missed third place. I don't think I'm going to improve on that easily but I have a few runs left so I may return to it.

NCRthree - I suspected the Miura would be struggle stock. It was probably a daft suggestion so don't feel obliged.

Has anyone else noticed the tyres resetting to SH on this series? It doesn't seem to happen all the time but a couple of times when I've started a fresh session I've had to change them back to SS. Something to do with the entry requirements being wrong probably.

Last edited:
Me too. Doing it with no srf and abs0 would be a hell of challenge but I seem to be a glutton for punishment these days. I doubt a gold would be possible but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

On the Ring with my Gallardo tune I've won by 4sec on ABS1 TCS1. I've never really done much driving without ABS so I'm not the person to try, but I'd share my tune for any brave ABS0 driver willing to take a shot at it 👍

Just checked and my Miura has got stage 3 engine mods. I nearly bought another one last week but blew all my dosh on a Jag XJ13 instead.

Well I don't mind running the Miura at all. It will basically be a solo run though. Which might be a nice break from all the heavy traffic lately. I hate overpowering cars and this is meant be a stock series more or less. Rather run SH than the grippy SS's. I like CS's on it myself.

Yeah, I've got one I can share as well Stirling.

Great. Sounds like fun. Any excuse to drive the Muira.

Edit - I just can't stay away from this event. 6:54.957 for P3. I'm starting to use the gears more now. I've found that short-shifting to 1st and 2nd really stabilises it on some of the tricky corners. Three attempts left and maybe a bit of room for improvement.
I've sent you guys FRs in preparation for the next one.

Last edited:
Back