Clean Run Challenge #5 - 71 Nissan 240ZG at Suzuka East (No SRF)

• Thread starter NCRthree
  • 11 comments

NCRthree

Premium
United States
Virginia
ncrthree/GTP_ncrthree

240zgSuzuka by Giulietta37
Photo courtesy of Giulietta73

Clean Run Challenge #5 '71 Nissan 240ZG at Suzuka East Course
Second Race in the 450pp Japanese Classics Seasonal-5 laps

Specs: 1971 Nissan 240zg on Comfort Medium Tires.
Available now in the Online Car Dealership @ 0 Miles
No Added parts
With an initial oil change it came to 155hp 384pp. 1010kg.

We'll take on the uphill esses in a stylish Nissan Classic Sports Car. The Original Z Car. I'm old enough to remember what a splash this car made when it was first released. It's on my bucket list to one day get an early model. Have fun!

THE GOAL:
Your fastest Total Race Time. The Race Events are basically Time Trials with moving obstacles (AI). Most are only 5 laps so think of it as a longer Time Trial but with other cars on track. Most races will only last 7-10 minutes. Winning the race is not the end goal-it's the Total Race Time like the latest GT5 Seasonal Overtake Challenges.

THE RULES:

1. No Driving Aids. No SRF, TCS, ABS, ASM, Active Steering. Driving Line and Transmission Choice are optional. For inexperienced ABS OFF drivers check out this great guide: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=267564&highlight=guide+tO+no+abs

2. Tuning Prohibited. No added parts, ballast, weight or engine stages. We may add power if a car is too slow for a decent run but that will be very specific. Brake Balance is all that can be adjusted.

3. Tires. Comfort Mediums

4. Track Rules: Only fully clean runs. 2 wheels on track at all times. Rumble Strips are part of the track. The white line is the boundary otherwise. No wall contact. No initiated AI contact. This is what will make this a REAL challenge! Avoiding other cars may be the hardest aspect. Approach the driving like it's a real life track day and you have no Auto Insurance!

Note: To be clear on what constitutes a "clean" pass, we will use this rule from the GTP OLR:

You must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead before they reach the corner’s turn-in point to have the right to drive up their inside, or to expect them to leave inside room for you. At least the front of your car should be up to the driver’s position in the ahead car. The ahead driver has the right to be fully committed to the racing line of their choice without any interference if there was no substantial overlap before he turned in.

So if you've made a clean pass according to this rule and the AI initiates contact, that is acceptable.
In some instances a pass may be accomplished by going inside the AI if they've left sufficient room. As long as you don't initiate contact, it's clean. Just use your best judgement, this is supposed to be fun!

5. 10 Maximum Clean Runs. Restarts or dirty Runs do not count toward the total. Winning the race is not necessary for a submission. No deadline for submitting a time.

Other Clean Run Challenges:
#1. 07 MINI COOPER S at Rome https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=279768
#2. 05 MINI COOPER S at Deep Forest https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=279839
#3. 07 BMW M3 at Nurburgring PG/D (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8360177&posted=1#post8360177
#4. 76 Ferrari 512BB at High Speed Ring https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=280395

Good Luck everyone!

Last edited:
Results:
MadMax86 5:31.811
HanibalII92 5:32.187
NCRthree 5:36.016
Ryk 5:37.912
Woodski427 5:40.472
no1pal 4:40.765
Giulietta73 5:41.216
StirlingMoose 5:43.9xx

Last edited:
Love this track! So going to do it when I get home! :)

BTW, the link to teach how to drive without ABS isn't working...

5:36:963
5:33:570
5:32:187
Not a bad time. The zero concept flogged me by 16+ seconds though. Could only get into second llace.

Last edited:
5.41.216 - with a few more runs left.
I'm a bit of a slow poke with this one. I find I take the 1st Ess in 3rd and the rest in 2nd - anyone else find this?
Getting a good entry into turn 1 and a good exit out of the final turn is where I'm finding time - but not enough!!!

Last edited:
I got three runs in. Best was 5:38.166. Typical traffic hold ups but the Z feels great on CM's to me. Using 3/0 but could go higher, think I'll try it.

Edit: 5:36.016 B/B 4/1. Ran against the Dome Zero starting in 1st and came in 2nd. 14.609 behind.

Last edited:
Love this track! So going to do it when I get home! :)

BTW, the link to teach how to drive without ABS isn't working...

5:36:963
5:33:570
5:32:187
Not a bad time. The zero concept flogged me by 16+ seconds though. Could only get into second llace.

That's odd. When I've been running 5:38's the Zero is consistently 16-17 seconds ahead at finish. Maybe there's a faster rabbit than mine!

Thanks for letting me know the link wasn't linking. Fixed.

Last edited:
That's odd. When I've been running 5:38's the Zero is consistently 16-17 seconds ahead at finish. Maybe there's a faster rabbit than mine!

Thanks for letting me know the link wasn't linking. Fixed.

Yeah, that rabbit is a real rabbit! The best I've gotten close to him was 11.5ish seconds. Furthest was between 16-17

I've found it depends greatly on how well you tackle the first 2 laps with the other traffic. If you get caught up between the #11 car on the first corner, it really slows you down. Because then you end up in a worse position starting the esses. I've found that you need to have laps of 1:05 at the minimum to have a shot at winning.

When I attempted it earlier, first lap was 1:08 second was 1:07 third was 1:05 and last 2 were 1:06. That put me 12ish seconds behind. If you can maintain a laptime of 1:05, you should get within 2 seconds of first place. However I doubt anybody could do that, because at the start, they all hog the best lines through the esses.

BTW, I'm really LOVING this trial! :D It's helping me get use to no abs :D Plus I'm actually getting money :P

My first clean run:

5:31.811 , gap to 1st 10.692 seconds. (1st lineup)

laps:
1:07.879
1:06.154
1:06.469
1:05.602
1:05.707

I was very cautious around AI , ended up passing them on this race at completely strange places.
Shifting up at 6500 rpm . brake balance 2/3

Used 2nd gear for first corner (exit of that 180 degree double right) and when overtaking the AI cars from outside.

The rest of time , spent mostly on 3rd gear , exept at the main straith.
Found the 3rd gear especially usefull at the last corner.

MadMax

240ZG

I chose a Used (Yet unused...) one in my garage... 6348.7 miles got on the 20120625 - 144bhp/374PP

Fitted CM tyres - altered the brake bias and off to the "Lube her up!" shop at GTAuto. (Or should I get an engine overhaul? - And a Chassis fettling too?

Engien overhaul - 156bhp - 384PP (16,500cr)
Oil change - 152bhp - 381PP (250cr)

Engine overhaul I think. And a chassis tightening and of course the colouring paints.

Usually I would use a Mazda RX7 Brilliant Black to blend in with the bolt on wheel arches. But Maziora Seyfert does the job for me.
Wheels - Enkei 5 spokes - painted Arancio Atlas - Bit too bright... The Original wheels are pretty good as stock. Never mind eh.

With these wheels you can look at the hub assembly, the rear drum brakes and the bottle top discs at the front. (Is it only Englandland that drinks milk from a Glass bottle now?)

Just had a re read of the rules. I like this series as most of it plays into what I do anyhow. GT5 is easy enough without driving like you're at the funfair in a bumper car or at a British Touring car smash fest.

Took a while to find the race... way over back in time over at the right of the. Eek it is on the edge of the cliff (As so many F1 one engineers like to compare Pirelli tyres to at present.) Better do some runs before it is lost in the mists of time.

No SRF - sweet sweet music. Wonder how the car sounds?

East Suzuka - and a Dome Zero on pole. But This isn't the win, this is for the time, so a fast rabbit car could be more of an incentive.

Final grid check - ABS - Off - TCS - Off--- Comfort Mediums - all four corners, check.

Let's go to work!

1m07.033 - 5m44.434

Nice engine note - 7000rpm red line but will get to 7500 before you bounce off the rev limiter. Had to drop into 2nd gear in a few places.. At the start of Dunlop I went in a bit too forceful and managed to break traction at the rear... Nothing major, just noticed the rear tyre indicators glow red.

Had a traffic free 2nd and final laps, first lap was learning, 3rd and 4th laps I had lots of traffic, the 2000GT and the Bluebird bashing into each other side by side at the first corner didn't help my lap time. (I was running 1m09's and that was down to holding station and waiting for the clean time to pass.

Had a slide wheel on the grass moment in the final link corner - didn't gain anything other than a cheer form the car wash girls at GTAuto. Bit of a tought corner that one, the first apex has no corner apex marker, looks all too easy for drivers to cut, but if you do, you could run the risk of taking too much speed and travelling through the corner and run wide. The rest of the corner is a bit undulating, but the radius really loosens up so muc so it is often here you regret not being a bit more commited at the initial part of the corner. Just to compund that you have a huge longh downhill straight which begs more speed at the top of the hill... the only crumb of comfort is that it would be worse if the pit straight were uphill.

Passing - The corners are long so once you know where the other guy (gal) is you can plot a line that loops around them. or stick to a tight inside line if one of them elects for a lazt outside line while they are fighting their own battles. (Turquise Metallic paint)

1m07.103 - 5m42.419 (2nd - 20.477 down) "White paint" (Wow there's a keeper!)

Much more messy - (Had a peak at the first few times for the event... 5m32! - wow 12 seconds off th epace... 2.4 seconds per lap -
Much more aggressive, deeper and mroe sideways into turn 1 (No SRF - excellent!) Nice car to balance about, but grip is key here, and good lines, both of which I seem to squander with less than tidy lines. Again a foot on the grass in the final corner... it does seem to come up ever so fast. Also I had problems getting on the power in the final corner... too slow into it, and then unable to get the power down as the car was only ever going to drift wide and off track a'la Juan Pablo Montoya

1m07.051 - 5m40.178 (2nd - 18.449) "Almandinrot" - hmm - wonder what that tastes like.

Much faster it seemed, very clean easy passes, I noticed I was a lap ahead as I passed the Civic for 2nd place, but the final 2 laps were clean air and I didn't break 67 seconds, Which is a shame. Still 3 goes and an improvement of 4 seconds. And I have not got the corners dialed in. 2nd or 3rd gear>
Do you row the car about, is it better to stay in 2nd and get all hot and hairy near the rev limiter (7500rpm) or go up a cog and hope the torque of the engine (2.4litre?) is enough to power it up the hill?

Much fun though. The car ism't planted on the track and if you put in too much steering for a corner or too much brake and steering then the car will get a wriggle on.

1m07.212 - 5m40.562 (2nd 18.783 down) "Super Red IV" - Ivan Drago's paint chip?

I used 3rd gear for all of the lap save the main straight. I also flirted with drifting a corner... That was easy to do but smeared the grip over the road and didn't give up any extra speed - but I knew that before I started looning about. Honestly I am surprised how fast the race time is, as none of the laps felt great, I felt behind my early races pace in getting past the other cars, - Which are now pretty familier.
73 skyline (white) - Bellet GTR (Magnolia - Black bonnet) - Cosmo Sport(Chamonix White) - 110S (Swan White) - 2000GT - Bluebird (White) Fairlady 2000 (White) - Honda 1300S Coupe (Patricia Green) - S800 (Scarlet) - Civic (Sante Fe Orange) --- And way of fin the distance - only seen on the huge TV screens is the Titanium silver Dome Zero.

The Mazda's have a bad habit of brake testing me as we rejoin the main straight - otherwise all well behaved.

1m06.422 - 5m37.912 (2nd 16.246 down) "Queens Silver Pearl" -

Very happy with this run, Less larking about, the AI are very compliant if you try for a wall of death move on the outside of the final corner... I kept the revs nice and smooth - only used 3rd and then up to 4th on the main straight. Tried to be extra smooth. softly into the esses, little lift, give the fronts more grip - some throttle to sort of drive through the sweeps without ripping chunks from the tyres. I can see more time in the Esses just from more accurate lines and not being greedy early on. I wa sin clean air at the start of lap 4.

Managed ot make six and a half seconds from my first go (Hmm... wonder if my BHP has gone up and that is the real reason I have made the time... 156bhp/384PP - still - which is nice.)

Final time
1m09.775
1m07.425
1m07.312
1m06.442
1m06.978
5m37.912 (Best lap 1m06.422 -) (2nd 16.246 down)

6387.8 miles 155bhp/22Torques/1010kg/384PP)

...Hmm have to read Max's post.... the secrets of speed.

I Was toying with trying Comfort Hards to make more of a race with the majority of the field and make it a race for 2nd place.

Inspired choice, NCRthree. This combo of car, tyres and track is irresistible fun. My first clean run, after many mishaps, was 5.43.9 for first place, up against the Sports 800. There's no real rabbit in this line-up. He's pretty easy to catch. I won by about 7s. Maybe this would be one to try on CH.

Quick attempt, 3 full races with 1 clean but quite a few restarts to get a good first lap. Really quite awkward this one - as soon as you go offline you lose so much speed and there aren't many places to get a good pass.

This was a Dome rabbit field so I was about 16.8 behind. I used a lovely Grand Prix Maroon 240Z, with 156bhp and 384 pp (after final race). It was a 0/0/0 with oil change.

First clean: 5:40.472

I tried a few quick attempts and managed one clean run: 5:40:765 B/B 4/1
The Z seem quiet equal to the other cars here. On a couple of occations I caught up with the other Z on the main straight. Slipstreaming behind, going left to pass, but can't pass because he is slipstreaming the car in front. One time he even crashes in to me, when he decided to pass the car in front of him.

Funny event :)

Back