Premium
United States
Virginia
ncrthree/GTP_ncrthree

CRC6 by Giulietta37, on Flickr
Photo courtesy of Giulietta73

Clean Run Challenge #6 66 Shelby Cobra 427 at Laguna Seca - 5 laps
Third Race in the 550pp Supercar Nostalgia Challenge

Specs: 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 on Sports Hard Tires.
No Added parts

A new Premium 66 came to 494 hp 1068 kg 539pp w/ initial oil change. This will go up of course. Feel free to break in your car.

All-American Hot Rod ingenuity vs. Exotic Royalty. Home turf defense again this time in sunny California. It's a Legend and a handful-careful round the corkscrew.

THE GOAL:
Your fastest Total Race Time. The Race Events are basically Time Trials with moving obstacles (AI). Most are only 5 laps so think of it as a longer Time Trial but with other cars on track. Most races will only last 7-10 minutes. Winning the race is not the end goal-it's the Total Race Time like the GT5 Seasonal Overtake Challenges.

THE RULES:

1. No Driving Aids. Since SRF is forced on, there's more than enough car control available. No TCS, *ABS, ASM, Active Steering. Driving Line and Transmission Choice are optional. For inexperienced ABS OFF drivers check out this great guide:https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showth...uide+TO+no+abs

*Since this is a tricky car and are new to ABS OFF and having difficulty you may use the assist. Experienced no assists drivers are expected to not use it. There will be a separate leaderboard. Please note "ABS" when submitting. Thanks.

2. Tuning Prohibited. No added parts, ballast, weight or engine stages. We may add power if a car is too slow for a decent run but that will be very specific. Brake Balance is all that can be adjusted.

3. Tires. Sports Hard.

4. Track Rules: Only fully clean runs. 2 wheels on track at all times. Rumble Strips are part of the track. The white line is the boundary otherwise. No wall contact. No initiated AI contact. This is what will make this a REAL challenge! Avoiding other cars may be the hardest aspect. Approach the driving like it's a real life track day and you have no Auto Insurance!

Note: To be clear on what constitutes a "clean" pass, we will use this rule from the GTP OLR:

You must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead before they reach the corner’s turn-in point to have the right to drive up their inside, or to expect them to leave inside room for you. At least the front of your car should be up to the driver’s position in the ahead car. The ahead driver has the right to be fully committed to the racing line of their choice without any interference if there was no substantial overlap before he turned in.

So if you've made a clean pass according to this rule and the AI initiates contact, that is acceptable.
In some instances a pass may be accomplished by going inside the AI if they've left sufficient room. As long as you don't initiate contact, it's clean. Just use your best judgement, this is supposed to be fun!

5. 10 Maximum Clean Runs. Restarts or dirty Runs do not count toward the total. Winning the race is not necessary for a submission. No deadline for submitting a time.

Other Clean Run Challenges:
#1. 07 MINI COOPER S at Rome https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=279768
#2. 05 MINI COOPER S at Deep Forest https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=279839
#3. 07 BMW M3 at Nurburgring GP/D (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8360177&posted=1#post8360177
#4. 76 Ferrari 512BB at High Speed Ring https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=280395
#5. 71 Nissan 240ZG at Suzuka East Course https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=280775

Good Luck everyone!

Last edited:
MadMax86 7:54.695
Giulietta73 8:04.050
NCRthree 8:05.365
Ryk 8:10.165

Last edited:
I just want to say thanks for all the effort you're putting in here. I love Laguna Seca and I'll be giving this a go.

Agreed^, good work NCRthree 👍. Pity I don't have the time for more attempts at these though.

I don't like Laguna :lol:, but like the Cobra. It can be frustrating as hell of course but when you put some good laps together it is fantastic.

I suspect this will be a tricky one: throttle control is a given, but I find the Cobra really unstable under high speed no-ABS braking. Even in a straight line the back end tries to break away, so I tend to use 4/0 or 3/0 depending on the track, and approach any trail-braking with caution!

Still got 5 clean runs left - 8.08.318.
It's probably worth completing a few dirty runs just for the practice. The braking points are quite early and this monster really does need a slow-in and her nose sorted before exit - traction is king here I think, any wheel spin will kill the time.

Brilliant race - nice one NCR:tup:

So if I'm 8.08 with a ds3, I'm looking forward to the non-ds3 runners' times.:scared:
BB 2/0 (3/0 gave me too many lock ups)

Edit: just got a 8.04.050
1.37 for the 1st lap then 1.36s for the rest.

Last edited:
This is a blast! However I'm having more fun hanging the back out in a smokey drift than actually hot lapping. So 45 minutes and nowhere close to a clean 5 laps. Who cares, this is a hoot.

Wow 6 is up and I only just saw 5 yesterday.

One thing we could all do is after a few months - repeat the event... and see just how rusty we get after a - 3 month break. Of course you could make special rules for the re-run, Only one go - If you muff it you add 1% to your total time. (Per muff!) - So do you play safe and get a clean run... or run it hard hot and ragged right out of the blocks... and hope you have the skills to pay the bills. - And we can compare to the original run.

---

Sports Hard - And SRF - wow you are really spoiling us Ambassador!

To Fort Ord and give me 5 clean laps you maggot!! (Drill Sgt mode off)

This is a blast! However I'm having more fun hanging the back out in a smokey drift than actually hot lapping. So 45 minutes and nowhere close to a clean 5 laps. Who cares, this is a hoot.

:lol: I spent most of this afternoon doing just that!!!! What a car! and these events really tune you into a circuit.👍

Spent the whole afternoon yesterday at this with no clean runs to report.

Gave it another try today and I finally got one clean run.

7:54.695 , margin of win 7.394 seconds

497 bhp / 1068kg 540pp

Brake balance 5/0 (controller used : G27)

laps:
1:35.762
1:35.057
1:34.574
1:35.344
1:33.958

gears for corners:

sector 1
(on top off hill after s/f line , partial throttle to avoid going too wide for 1st corner + to be able to brake in a straith line)
1st corner 2nd gear , (1st gear with traffick / bad entry angle)
2nd corner , before the bridge / T1 2nd gear
sector 2
1st corner , 3rd gear ( g2nd ear with traffick / bad entry angle)
2nd corner , 2nd gear
secotr 3
1st corner 3rd gear (2nd gear with traffick / bad entry angle / going wide on exit)
corcscrew enter in 1st gear , shift up to 2nd on exit (when you start to turn right)
sector 4
1st corner 3rd gear (2nd if going wide on exit)
2nd corner 3rd gear (2nd if going wide on exit)
last corner 1st gear on entry , shift up to 2nd on exit.

MadMax

Thanks for submitting MadMax. This one was a lot trickier than anticipated. Glad I didn't go with Comfort Softs like I'd considered. Forgot to post my better time 8:05.365.

^^Yeah, very tricky - but that made it all the better!👍 The fact that I've lost most of last weekend to it is testement to that. Trying to balance the need for maintaining speed through the corners with the lack of grip and negotiating the errant AI was a sheer joy - and bloody tough!!!

Comfort softs would be insane:lol:

Nice driving Max, those are some quick lap times:tup::scared:

Well I'm not too bad on the straights but the corners are a different matter. Started off with BB of 3/2 and was all over the shop. 4/0 calmed it down a bit but I've still not managed 5 clean laps. I did 8.15 with a couple of taps but it's still very messy. What fun.

Edit - 8:13.656 8:12.433. Not exactly blistering but, for me, just doing 5 clean laps in this car is an achievement.

I'd love to see a replay of Max's 7:54. That must have been some driving.

Last edited:
I've had a few attempts at this one, but no clean results yet. Closest was an 8:20.xxx but I ran wide at the final turn on lap 4.

The Cobra is so edgy, I can't take any risks overtaking and hard braking even with 0 rear bias still finds the back end twitching. I will need a wheel session to make a decent attempt at this!

Edit:

Question - do the 'two wheels on the track at all times' have to be on the same side of the car?

It obviously wouldn't be the best run, but with this beast I had a couple of occasions with the back wheels in the sand, but the front still on the track :dopey:.

Last edited:
Managed to get some GT5 time (110% login bonus - big money here we come!)

Had a new but unsued Cobra (White with blue stripes)
Fitted... nothing, came with Sports Hards - adjusted the brakes to 3/2.... (Didn't do the Oil thing...)

To the track...
SRF... faff. TCS and ABS off.

Had a pair of Miuras and three interceptors.

First race was interesting... Laguna Seca is an awkward track the ultra flat infield bit just makes me wish they had the original layout with proper corners... that infield bit ruined the better corners on the original.

Car - Cobra. Meat and Potatoes car... The engine is solid the low weight is refreshing and the suspension is consistent.

Track - I stay inside the white lines. I had several messy slides that didn't leave the track but left me struggling to get away from the corner as I was sat in a cloud of smoke - a tell tale of me wasting the speed I took into the corner.

First go I was polite with the AI, The next time I was more confident and made clean passes, but they left me very off line for the next corner, so cost me ultimate pace. - Mostly as I was going too fast for my new line that made the corner much tighter as I couldn't use the full width of the track.

After 10 laps I don't feel I am close to having many of the corners nailed down in terms of lines, braking points and the like. Turn one I get all nervous, and lift and the Andretti Hairpin... I try a miss first apex, and bring it on in for a nice second apex... but it still feels like I am doing more Waiting than Hurry up through it. (Have to read Mad Max's driving guide - Was he in one of those Interceptors... (Mel Gibson...))

Times
1m41.049
1m38.369
1m38.823
1m37.250
1m37.203 (8m12.664)
3rd place - 8.35 down

Race 2
1m40.451
1m37.204
1m37.451
1m37.814
1m37.245 (8m10.165)
3rd place - 6.408 down

plenty of time to get, I am sure I hook up a good corner or two every lap but I also make a real pig's ear of a couple of others, and the black marks of shame point out which corners I pile into with far too much "Villenueve"

Now where to improve... Brake Bias - Maybe a softer 2/1 or 3/1 or 4/0 (You get the idea)

Lines - With ten laps and no offs I obviously am driving the car like it is my girlfriend's father's (Do you know him? Big guy that use to do bare knuckle fighting... He loves the Cobra more than his daughter, So I will wax and polish both of them after I've had my laps...)

Try out Mad Maxwells gears... always worth trying out a new style.

The Miura's are only a smidge ahead... I can see making the time up just gettig the corners smooth on the outside for the turn in should save a second a lap.

I'll be Bach.

Car had - 470bhp/1068kg / 532PP
No oil change...

Last edited:
Question - do the 'two wheels on the track at all times' have to be on the same side of the car?

It obviously wouldn't be the best run, but with this beast I had a couple of occasions with the back wheels in the sand, but the front still on the track :dopey:.

Obviously this has never happened to me (cough), but what if you lock-up going into a chicane and end up parked with just your front wheels over the line?

Obviously this has never happened to me (cough), but what if you lock-up going into a chicane and end up parked with just your front wheels over the line?

Well I didn't think about it that way but the rule just says 2 on track.

Back