Clean Run Challenge #7- 07 Mitsubishi Evo X at Grand Valley (NO SRF)

• Thread starter NCRthree
  • 20 comments

NCRthree

Premium
United States
Virginia
ncrthree/GTP_ncrthree

CRC7 by Giulietta37, on Flickr
Photo courtesy of Giulietta73

Clean Run Challenge #7 '07 Mitsubishi Evolution X GSR at Grand Valley Speedway
Second Race in the 530pp 4WD Challenge Seasonal-5 laps

Specs: 2007 Mitsubishi Evolution X on Comfort Soft Tires.
Added Parts: ECU Tuning, Sports Air Filter, Sports Exhaust

A new Premium O7 came to 364hp 1540kg 483pp. This will go up of course. Feel free to break in your car.

After the 512BB, 240Z and Cobra it's time for some grip! This Challenge will feature my Real Life ride - A 08 Evo X GSR. Unlike GT5's car, mine's got a 5 Speed Manual not the trick twin clutch semi-automatic. The mods are what's done to mine so that's why they're included. Another GT Classic track that's great for AWD's. Hope you dig "my" Evo, it's a blast in real life too. The poor man's GTR.

THE GOAL:
Your fastest Total Race Time. The Race Events are basically Time Trials with moving obstacles (AI). Most are only 5 laps so think of it as a longer Time Trial but with other cars on track. Most races will only last 7-10 minutes. Winning the race is not the end goal-it's the Total Race Time like the latest GT5 Seasonal Overtake Challenges.

THE RULES:

1. No Driving Aids. No SRF, TCS, *ABS, ASM, Active Steering. Driving Line and Transmission Choice are optional. For inexperienced ABS OFF drivers check out this great guide: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=267564&highlight=guide+tO+no+abs

*If you are new to ABS OFF and having difficulty you may use the assist. Experienced no assists drivers are expected to not use it. There will be a separate leaderboard. Please note "ABS" when submitting. Thanks.

2. Tuning Prohibited. No added parts, ballast, weight or engine stages. We may add power if a car is too slow for a decent run but that will be very specific. Brake Balance is all that can be adjusted.

3. Tires: Comfort Softs. Not default Sports Hards.

4. Track Rules: Only fully clean runs. 2 wheels on track at all times. Rumble Strips are part of the track. The white line is the boundary otherwise. No wall contact. No initiated AI contact. This is what will make this a REAL challenge! Avoiding other cars may be the hardest aspect. Approach the driving like it's a real life track day and you have no Auto Insurance!

Note: To be clear on what constitutes a "clean" pass, we will use this rule from the GTP OLR:

You must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead before they reach the corner’s turn-in point to have the right to drive up their inside, or to expect them to leave inside room for you. At least the front of your car should be up to the driver’s position in the ahead car. The ahead driver has the right to be fully committed to the racing line of their choice without any interference if there was no substantial overlap before he turned in.

So if you've made a clean pass according to this rule and the AI initiates contact, that is acceptable.
In some instances a pass may be accomplished by going inside the AI if they've left sufficient room. As long as you don't initiate contact, it's clean. Just use your best judgement, this is supposed to be fun!

5. 10 Maximum Clean Runs. Restarts or dirty Runs do not count toward the total. Winning the race is not necessary for a submission. No deadline for submitting a time.

Other Clean Run Challenges:
#1. 07 MINI COOPER S at Rome https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=279768
#2. 05 MINI COOPER S at Deep Forest https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=279839
#3. 07 BMW M3 at Nurburgring GP/D (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8360177&posted=1#post8360177
#4. 76 Ferrari 512BB at High Speed Ring https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=280395
#5. 71 Nissan 240ZG at Suzuka East Course (NO SRF) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=280775
#6. 66 Shelby Cobra 427 at Laguna https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=280778

Good Luck everyone!

Last edited:
Results:

MadMax86 10:58.917
NCRthree 11:03.450
GTsail290 11:04.646
Giulietta73 11:07.307
StirlingMoose 11:13.466
HanibalII92 11:14.881
Woodski427 11:19.647

Last edited:
After 4 clear runs: 11.07.307 - running laps in the 2.12s, early 2.16 for opening lap.
Its nice to have some grip after the Cobra event!!!

After a couple of very messy runs, including putting your lovely car into a wall at one point, I did a 11:17.9 clean. I was doing 2.13s by the end but the first two laps were very slow. I really need to work on the passing places as I kept getting stuck behind the AI on the fast bendy sections where it's difficult to pass.

Seems fun, I think I'll give this one a shot. Hope I can make some time.

Also a friend of mine owns an evo VI makingen edition i believe, tuned a little bit to around 347 hbp. The car handles so good. Much lighter i believe than these newer models.

We raced against a friend of hours who used to own a e55 amg. We were faster on start up from full stop, the amg was faster during the rest of the acceleration and with top speed (evo 275+ kmh, amg 310+kmh). The corner though, where the amg was struggling with 180 kmh+ we were goign well over 200 kmh+ (did a really nice pass through in these corners).

@Stirling - I found the grid:
Impreza sedan,
Impreza coupe,
Skyline GTR V spec & spec II,
Lancer evo VI,
Atenza,
TT coupe,
GTO twin turbo,
Legacy Touring Wagon & B4
and the TT coupe

worked the best in terms of passing. The grid with the Alfa at the back was terrible - I seemed to meet them coming up to nearly evey apex!:grumpy:

@Stirling - I found the grid:
Impreza sedan,
Impreza coupe,
Skyline GTR V spec & spec II,
Lancer evo VI,
Atenza,
TT coupe,
GTO twin turbo,
Legacy Touring Wagon & B4
and the TT coupe

worked the best in terms of passing. The grid with the Alfa at the back was terrible - I seemed to meet them coming up to nearly evey apex!:grumpy:

Thanks for the tip. I've been using the grid with the pick-up in 11th and there always seems to be some blighter right in front on the bits where I know I could go much faster. By working the passing points I managed to improve to 5:16.875 but most of the time I gained on the first two laps I lost by being too exuberant later on.

Edit- Well that's weird. I must have recycled 20 times and that grid didn't come up. I tried a different grid anyway and it was much better, lots of clean air and catching the AI at the best passing points. I did a 5:11.xxx but it was marred by a couple of bumps early on.

Last edited:
Glad I don't have to pay for the torched rubber. Ran against the first grid up with the 2 Subies in front. Now I know their sequence and can slide under them by inches. Had a 11:06.545 but had taken liberties on the first concrete pad. Ooops, replay was ugly! So a 11:07.145 for now. BL is a 2:12.147.

This one pays pretty well. Almost time for a big purchase...again. Running 3/0 BB. Think I might bump it up in the back for some rotation.

5:13.466. Just watched the replay and the AI did a remarkable job of avoiding me while I went careering through. I think I'll leave it at that. I haven't had a go at the Cobra one yet. Thanks for doing these NCRthree. I'm really starting to enjoy driving with no ABS. I think I might be a convert.

Got a bit quicker on lap 1 running low 2:15's. 11:04.757 for now. Changed to 3/1 BB. BL 2:11.8xx.

@StirlingMoose- You're quite welcome. No ABS is so much more involving. I stopped using it last October for all offline driving. I gather you meant 11:13.466 not 5:13.466 for your time.

Last edited:
Nice job NCR - I was eye-ing up your time there for a while! Gonna have to go some to get near your new time:tup:
I was using BB 2/0 - might have to give 3/1 a go.:scared:

Got a bit quicker on lap 1 running low 2:15's. 11:04.757 for now. Changed to 3/1 BB. BL 2:11.8xx.

@StirlingMoose- You're quite welcome. No ABS is so much more involving. I stopped using it last October for all offline driving. I gather you meant 11:13.466 not 5:13.466 for your time.

Er yes, 11 not 5. For some reason I was thinking it was 5 minutes per race. That explains where my evening went.

It's a shame more people are not taking part in these as they really are a good challenge. I suspect the original concept of making the new seasonals with srf more interesting has put a lot of srf haters off, even though it's obvious that that these latest ones are with no srf. Anyway there are still lots more pre-srf seasonals left so keep 'em coming and I'll try to keep up.

Was able to drop some more time. Had a run with two 2:11.7's. Now best total of 11:03.450. Keeping up momentum out into the last exit and up the first set of turns is key. I think 2/3 of my race was tire shredding. Best thing about no ABS=smokin' em!

Last edited:
This is fun. Great car, you can place it with confidence and the gearing is good for for track use. Only had a warm up earlier and didn't complete a full race as I did my usual trick of misjudging the brakes at the end of the S/F straight. Mostly managed to resist the usual temptation of cornering like a hooligan in a 4WD. Looking forward to giving this an attempt tomorrow.

Was able to drop some more time. Had a run with two 2:11.7's. Now best total of 11:03.450. Keeping up momentum out into the last exit and up the first set of turns is key. I think 2/3 of my race was tire shredding. Best thing about no ABS=smokin' em!

Hey friend, nice to see your series taking off as good as it has. Kudos to you for coming up with something new for people to do.👍 On a side note, you should come back to the WRS and run a few events with me. I recently recieved a double promotion to Division 3 and think it would be cool to compete with you in a few events now. We have a great group of D3 drivers and the competition is as close as ever, really alot of fun. Anyway, give it some thought and again, congrats on your series.:cheers:

^^Hey Cargo congrats on getting the boot upstairs! I know you dig TT's and work hard on 'em.

Yeah, this is proving to be a lot more time consuming and challenging than I originally thought! I may try some WRS but my GT time is pretty thin as it is. But I'm really liking this concept. To me it's more fun than solo laps. Having to time passes as well as running fast laps can be a blast or frustrating as hell. Glad there's some dedication with some other guys with this. I was hoping I wasn't going to be the only masochist doing these!

Well, excuses first :lol:, I've never really mastered Grand Valley and only really been on it to get things done. It is a great track though easily PD's most realistic IMO. Braking for the first hairpin sorts the men from the boys, and I'm definitely in short trousers when it comes to this one.

A couple of unclean runs with a pickup in P11 left me around 11:25. After a break, and re entering the field had an Airtek Turbo in P11 and MNP II in the lead.

Second clean race: 11:19.647 with a best lap of 2:14.7xx.

Again consistency was a problem due to being held up or over exuberance into some corners. This was an easy win, but need more work get decent times!

First clean one:

10:58.917 gap to 2nd 9.757 seconds.

374 bhp / 1540 kg 487pp

brakes 2/1

laps:
2:14.867
2:11.701
2:10.983
2:11.035
2:10.331

Had two 11:01.2xx's before this one , but there were a few off tracks and AI touches in them.

MadMax

Nice challenge NCRthree!👍

After five good runs at the Valley, I have been able to record a best time of 11:04.646

It was a very good race:), with only one blown brake lock-up in the first hairpin.:dunce:

Earlier, on my third race, I recorded two identical 2:12.335 laps in a row, so the second lap disappeared into the twilight zone as they are wont to do because of the lap-time glitch!:eek:

Great fun!
GTsail

Latest Posts

Back