CLOSED: POLL: The Photomode Tournament S01 - 2.0 - Round Two - Results

• Thread starter Nato_777
  • 20 comments

Who will make it through to the Semi Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nato_777

Moderately Super
Premium
New Zealand
Kaikoura, NZ
Nato777
View attachment 166021
Second Round of the GT6 Photomode Tournament 2.0 Advanced Season 01. 8 are gone and 8 are left to battle it out for the final 4 positions.
Make sure you understand the theme requirements of your match.

Please remember all entries are to remain anonymous throughtout the tournament.

You can see each dashboard update by clicking on the 2.0 below.

[Click to raise dashboard]

View attachment 166022
  • Be reminded that this is a multiple choice poll;
  • Entries for each match are in random order;
  • IMPORTANT: Contestants do not vote in your own match – not even for your opponent!
  • Please be sure to review each entry in the Poll Options section below before casting votes;
  • Do not vote on your own entry;
  • Do not try to sway the poll;
  • Do not post or identify your entry elsewhere until poll closes;
  • Only the 4 most voted in each match will get through to the Semi Final Round;
  • In the event of a tie, qualifying vote count will be the deciding factor;
  • In the event of a second tie, total tournament votes will be the deciding factor;
  • In the event of a third tie, host vote will count as two votes;

If there is any problem, please, report to me via a Conversation.

View attachment 164436
View attachment 166023

Match 01 – Option 1

Match 01 – Option 2

View attachment 166024

Match 02 – Option 1

Match 02 – Option 2

View attachment 166025

Match 03 – Option 1

Match 03 – Option 2

View attachment 166026

Match 04 – Option 1

Match 04 – Option 2

View attachment 161797
12-06-2014

2nd Match:

It's curious how both of you @NBDESIGNZ and @DigitalBaka went for Alfas. :) Great choices. Alfa Romeo is one of my top 5 brands when we are talking about design and looks. I voted for the entry that capture my senses on my first glance.

3rd Match:

Both entries are great @nato777 and @GPR The thing that made me decide in this match was really the sense of loosing control at high speed. I voted for the shot that captures the motion sense in a more dramatic way.

4th Match:

Nice shots @Amac500 and @Fyshokid I like the composition in the 1st shot and the tonning in the second. I went for the more balanced overall (IMO). By "default", I don't like overexposed and burnt shots, so I was kind of undecided regarding my vote.

Good luck everyone! :cheers:

Yes a few tough choices in there for me too. Obviously couldn't vote on my match but out of the others I really had to toss up my desicions. Nice entries all around, had to get really picky with what I didn't like so much on one vs the other.

Well done guys. 👍

I agree, well and truly evenly matched all the way around. Even my match up with @NBDESIGNZ . To be tied at this point is more than I could have hoped for. :D:tup:

The decisions were a bit tough, but I decided not to vote for the third set.

Everyone has done an outstanding job this round and decisions were tough to make when it come to voting - match 1 is much closer than the votes would suggest.

I'm getting curious to see if I've guessed the authors correctly or not. Obviously I know mine but the others are pretty close in style and could be either.

I'm getting curious to see if I've guessed the authors correctly or not. Obviously I know mine but the others are pretty close in style and could be either.

I'm pretty certain I know whose is whose. I'll find out soon enough. Most seem pretty obvious to me. Of course I know my match up too. ;)

The poll has closed and we have our results.

Advancing to the Semi Final Round

Eliminated

Match 01 - gtuned vs zzz_pt
1. zzz_pt

2. gtuned

Match 02 - DigitalBaka vs NBDESIGNZ
1. NBDESIGNZ

2. DigitalBaka

Match 03 - GPR vs Nato_777
1. Nato_777
2. GPR

Match 04 - Amac500 vs Fyshokid
1. Fyshokid

2. Amac500

Congratulations to the 4 contestants advancing to the Semi Final Round. :cheers:

Huge thanks for all your votes guys! I'm happy to make it one round further.

Congrats to Ricardo, George and Fysho! And to all the others who made it this far.

:cheers:

Congratulations George, thanks for the great match - you fully deserved the win with your great entry. 👍
Just can't seem to beat you - came second fiddle to you in the last two 2.0 comps and the last CCCL as well! :lol:

Reactions: GPR
Congrats to everyone going to the semi-finals. :cheers:

I think Garret didn't pulled out his best shot (not even close of what he usually do). It would be a much closer match. :)

ps: no surprises on the authors of each shot :D

Reactions: GPR
Bummer to be out but the poll was close and for barely making the field I'm happy to go this far! Enjoyed my first tourney, can't wait for the next one! Well done @Fyshokid your edit was fantastic!

Wow. Just.. Wow. Incoming rant.

24 to 6 is just embarrasing. No lie. I've seriously never felt worse at photomode. Losing to an amazing shot would be one thing, but to a "meh" shot, (honestly, An M4 down La Sarthe, not that special imo) not to mention artifacts blatantly visible in the shadows, and the biggest thing, Part of the track not even loaded... Does anyone bother to view fullsize images anymore, or do they just vote by the 500px preview?

Seriously, what was so wrong in my shot that it was a bigger error than artifacts and a missing part of the track. I spent half a 🤬 hour alone on taking color banding out of the sky, and produced a shot that I really loved, and to be destroyed by that much of a 🤬 margin. But does anyone really vote based on quality and idea, or just go with "hey, 500px looks good. I'll vote for that." Numerous times I've seen people get a ton of votes, if not win with a good shot, but the overall quality is crap. So when does an idea out weigh picture quality and even something so massive as a missing part of the track.

But really, what was so much better with his than mine? I just don't see it even in the general idea, even with out the quality issues. If it was me vs Fyshokid, I'd really be okay with losing that much, but I really, really do not see what the hell is so wrong with mine. Is it cause I used the 97T? Is it the letterboxing or tones or what. I just don't get it.

Call me an asshole or whatever, but I've been seriously pissed about this since the poll opened.

Wow. Just.. Wow. Incoming rant.

24 to 6 is just embarrasing. No lie. I've seriously never felt worse at photomode. Losing to an amazing shot would be one thing, but to a "meh" shot, (honestly, An M4 down La Sarthe, not that special imo) not to mention artifacts blatantly visible in the shadows, and the biggest thing, Part of the track not even loaded... Does anyone bother to view fullsize images anymore, or do they just vote by the 500px preview?

Seriously, what was so wrong in my shot that it was a bigger error than artifacts and a missing part of the track. I spent half a 🤬 hour alone on taking color banding out of the sky, and produced a shot that I really loved, and to be destroyed by that much of a 🤬 margin. But does anyone really vote based on quality and idea, or just go with "hey, 500px looks good. I'll vote for that." Numerous times I've seen people get a ton of votes, if not win with a good shot, but the overall quality is crap. So when does an idea out weigh picture quality and even something so massive as a missing part of the track.

But really, what was so much better with his than mine? I just don't see it even in the general idea, even with out the quality issues. If it was me vs Fyshokid, I'd really be okay with losing that much, but I really, really do not see what the hell is so wrong with mine. Is it cause I used the 97T? Is it the letterboxing or tones or what. I just don't get it.

Call me an asshole or whatever, but I've been seriously pissed about this since the poll opened.

I don't know what to think reading your reaction, seriously.

I know from the list of people who voted for it there are a few of them that know how to evaluate and criticize what's a bad or a good shot. And I'm aware that my shot is not perfect but for the time I had, this was the best I could do (I think I might have been the first submitting my entry) and I'm pretty happy with it.

I know that part of the road is missing but I opted to go with it even though this could mean that I would lose. And no, that is not such a big problem as you want to make it look like (even in full size). Under 2.0 rules, I couldn't do anything to change it and my point wasn't for people to realize that that straight was in Le Mans. My objective was to give the viewer a sense of freedom and yes, in a "meh"/simple but great car, a feeling of realism. I know for instance that the trees are miserable and there are some articafacts. But as I said, I didn't have the time or permission to edit those issues under 2.0 reg.

About your shot, I can keep it short:
The car is to much blended with the background; the overall picture is to flat (low DoF); clouds are burned; Elements without hierarchy (outdoors, car, red structure on the right have similar "whight"); Composition is not the best to pull the car from the background (puting the camera a little bit higher/to the left could give you the contrast between the body of the car and the white wall behind IMO). On the other side, I think the picture is very clean and the location is great.

And why are you bashing at people votes and almost implying they are "stupid"? And why do you think your shot has a better idea? People's opinions are subjective. As you can see, some people liked your shot more than mine. Do I think they somwhow don't know how to evaluate a shot? No.

I don't even undersand why do you think you would accpet this numbers in the poll if Fyshokid was in my place. Seriously? I think this is why you can't accpet this result. Because your Critic is inconsistent. However I agreed that sometimes people win weekly competitions with not so great shots. But hey, this isn't a professional environment. This is all for fun.

I was surprised by the gap in votes for match 1 and can sympathise with gtuned's frustration. As I said earlier this match should be much closer than the votes tell. Yes there are issues with zzz's image, but I think it's overall first impression in relation to the theme is just that little bit better and I think that's what brought it home. When I look at the image my eyes are immediately drawn to the car and then the road stretched out before it - the intent of the image is quite clear.
Gtuned's entry is a really nice image but I do feel the car was a little lost in the image - there just seems to be too much else competing for attention with the shot so my eyes really aren't drawn to anything in particular, there just isn't the same feeling of intent. For me it was a tough decision and I did just give it to Ricardo on that initial feel.

Last edited:
First off, I'd like to say Congrats to the winners and a big thanks to all the voters. Stoked to be through to the semi's. :cheers:

And a tip of the ol' hat to Nato. After seeing your shot I thought it might be tighter in votes than it ended up being. As there is some similarities between our entries. ;)

Now I think I'll chime in on this noise above.

@gtuned Fair enough, your are entitled to a rant. Much of what you said is your opinion though. I do not know how many people if any soley base their vote on the 500px preview. I for one don't, although it does in my mind sometimes help my descision in the end as at the smaller size it highlights the initial appeal of the shot and it's basic or fundamental good and bad points.

In regards to your match I found it one of the tougher ones to vote on as each had differing strong points. Yes the win margin may be large in the end but that doesn't mean it wasn't a close descision on the minds of the viewers. I almost voted for your shot as I thought the composition was more interesting and I liked the clartiy but what killed it for me was the blowout of the clouds. I just couldn't go past that. On the other side I liked ZZZ's toning a little more it creates more character to me. While yours felt a little flat.

It didn't bother me that ZZZ's shot had the issue of unloaded bg elements as this is not really his fault, yes he chose to go with a shot that shows this fault but I don't count it as a photo flaw as it's the games fault for this in my mind. As for artifacts I don't really see a huge amount wrong with his entry, minimal elements. His compostion while simple and basic, I don't find boring, sometimes center comps although boring to some work well.

True yours is clean and that is good but I had issue with a few other elements of your shot also. The black bands are certainly not an issue or the car choice. I do find the billboards in the back quite distracting and they take my focus away from the main subject, mainly because they seem so brightly lit. If I were to vote purely on a compositional bassis you would have had my vote. Nato has summed things up pretty well above, and I agree with his comments.

I do agree with your comment on some comps being won by shots that have a great idea but not the best execution/quality of editing but for some people the idea or fundamental base of a photo is more important to them and their sensbilities. Does it frustrate me sometimes, yes it does on occasions. But in the end if their idea was cleary better then it does count for something.

I hope that all makes sense. Your shot is not bad but I do agree with Ricardo's statement that it isn't your best. Hell last Tourney which was my first I got smashed in the first round and there was nothing wrong with my entry technically.
You can't account for peoples tastes.

What they said ^^. Maybe a beer is needed gtuned? At the end of the day, that many people cannot be wrong and letting yourself get annoyed by something as trivial as this is not gonna help your health :) Its for fun and that's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back