Cloud Storage Recommendation

• Thread starter Robin
  • 13 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a cloud storage provider which offers the ability to create password protected link to a file for free.

All the major ones charge for this feature and as I only need it for one file it's pretty pointless to sign up.

Any recommendations?

Dropbox charges for this,

upload_2015-3-31_8-26-16.png

There is a simple way.

Dropbox with a archive with a password.

Someone needs the dropbox link to start with so it is safe to start with, once you know the person has it you can remove the link or even set a duration to the file.
If you use 7zip to archive the file, add a password using the AES-256 encryption.

I dont think windows zip supports AES-256 encrypted password protected zip files.

But use a large password made up with lower case, uppercase, numbers and symbols.
eg.
R0b1n_G7-p@4^3+

There is a simple way.

Dropbox with a archive with a password.

Someone needs the dropbox link to start with so it is safe to start with, once you know the person has it you can remove the link or even set a duration to the file.
If you use 7zip to archive the file, add a password using the AES-256 encryption.

I dont think windows zip supports AES-256 encrypted password protected zip files.

But use a large password made up with lower case, uppercase, numbers and symbols.
eg.
R0b1n_G7-p@4^3+

I had considered passwording the actual file as the easier option but I was just worried about the tech competence of the person at the other end, i.e. people file it mush easier to enter a password when they visit the link then get the whole thing ready to go.

The other method requires downloading the ZIP, then unzipping it, entering the password, then finding the unzipped files etc. Trust me, you wouldn't believe how difficult some people find this :ouch:

The other method requires downloading the ZIP, then unzipping it, entering the password, then finding the unzipped files etc. Trust me, you wouldn't believe how difficult some people find this :ouch:

7zip is a free, small program that should be on all computers as it does compression better than the windows zip utility.
When you want to unzip a password protected archive, you just go to unzip it prompts you to enter password and when correct it unzips where you told it to unzip

You could do the following.

Folder.zip
|_READTHIS.TXT(instructions on how to unzip)
|_archive.7z

7zip is a free, small program that should be on all computers as it does compression better than the windows zip utility.
When you want to unzip a password protected archive, you just go to unzip it prompts you to enter password and when correct it unzips where you told it to unzip

You could do the following.

Folder.zip
|_READTHIS.TXT(instructions on how to unzip)
|_archive.7z

I know it seems basic to us but the people at the other end barely know how to turn on a computer! I guess that's why all cloud providers charge for password protected links.

Thanks for the offer DQuaN but it's sensitive info so I can't let it leave my control hosting it.

Ok no problem.

My ownCloud is a full cloud storage server. I can create you an account and you can set the password etc. It will be totally under your control, just hosted on my servers.

Have you tried Onedrive?

I just uploaded a .ogg file, made the share link which is set to view only and you can email them the link

Back