Clutch sensitivity option/ engine braking.

• Thread starter clos2727
  • 11 comments
con-sistant
After a few days i finally unlocked a car that i can use my thrustmaster shifter with.

i immediately noticed that their is a lot of inconsistancy with the clutch, which leads to many miss shifts

clutch should not be engaged at 95 percent clutch throw.

another problem i noticed was that you cannot speed shift. the current way is set-up is like the feeling of learning to drive stick shift. (focused effort)

not to mention the immense amount of time loss to re-engage a gear. (having to push the clutch 100%)

release, throttle, engage clutch, shift, ect. literally we should not be concentrating our efforts in shifting.

i also know that this is to prevent an unfair advantage when other don't use the shifter as it takes much longer time to shift between a seq, and a full manual.

that being said, that's their problems,

we drivers who use shifter should not be hindered by the fact that other don't know how to drive stick shift. and limit the efficiency and skill of drivers who do

another problem that really bothers me is the miss shifts, every miss shift i had threw me into Neutral, with no consequence to Engine/Transmission damage.

i understand that Sony wants to approach a wider audience. which i call casual racers. but what about the hardcore guys that will play this for years to come. give us the option to turn this damage on in race settings.

Engine braking,

i am very efficient doing heel toe, and i did not come across downshifting problems as much as i did upshifting. but what i did notice was that their is'nt significant engine braking when doing so, no forward lunge, no scrubbing off speed, ect. (and purposely threw a low gear while on the rev limiter, again no consequence to engine damage. and it really changes the dynamics as far as going into a corner.

All in All, the essence of driving is their. but the subtle things that make you feel like your racing seem lackluster.

while i do enjoy the sim very much. the above is essentual to any sim, and in my opinion really puts pressure on all drivers to focuse their efforts on the core of what racing is,instead of pleasing a mass casual audience.

at least give us the option to turn this on, rather then hinder our skills to compete fairly with casual sim racers.

ill leave you with a video from Asseto Corsa. using hydraulic brakes. this is what shifting should be like.
video begins at 7:25 before that is just explanation to the Mod

@clos2727 probably same simple solution for clutch works on GTS as on GT6, limit your physical clutch pedal movement range.
I have limited my G27 clutch range approx to 35% of original, fully engage is easy and no missed shifting.
Game calibrate any distance on pedal, if it's limited then game thinks 100% is on end of your new limited range.

After a few days i finally unlocked a car that i can use my thrustmaster shifter with.

i immediately noticed that their is a lot of inconsistancy with the clutch, which leads to many miss shifts

clutch should not be engaged at 95 percent clutch throw.

another problem i noticed was that you cannot speed shift. the current way is set-up is like the feeling of learning to drive stick shift. (focused effort)

not to mention the immense amount of time loss to re-engage a gear. (having to push the clutch 100%)

release, throttle, engage clutch, shift, ect. literally we should not be concentrating our efforts in shifting.

i also know that this is to prevent an unfair advantage when other don't use the shifter as it takes much longer time to shift between a seq, and a full manual.

that being said, that's their problems,

we drivers who use shifter should not be hindered by the fact that other don't know how to drive stick shift. and limit the efficiency and skill of drivers who do

another problem that really bothers me is the miss shifts, every miss shift i had threw me into Neutral, with no consequence to Engine/Transmission damage.

i understand that Sony wants to approach a wider audience. which i call casual racers. but what about the hardcore guys that will play this for years to come. give us the option to turn this damage on in race settings.

Engine braking,

i am very efficient doing heel toe, and i did not come across downshifting problems as much as i did upshifting. but what i did notice was that their is'nt significant engine braking when doing so, no forward lunge, no scrubbing off speed, ect. (and purposely threw a low gear while on the rev limiter, again no consequence to engine damage. and it really changes the dynamics as far as going into a corner.

All in All, the essence of driving is their. but the subtle things that make you feel like your racing seem lackluster.

while i do enjoy the sim very much. the above is essentual to any sim, and in my opinion really puts pressure on all drivers to focuse their efforts on the core of what racing is,instead of pleasing a mass casual audience.

at least give us the option to turn this on, rather then hinder our skills to compete fairly with casual sim racers.

ill leave you with a video from Asseto Corsa. using hydraulic brakes. this is what shifting should be like.
video begins at 7:25 before that is just explanation to the Mod

Bro, they have a lot to fix with the shifter and the clutch, look at this glitch with the audi tts coupe. The car doesn't have a H shifter in real life, at least not to my understanding, but yet you can use the shifter for it in game. Not properly, but you can.

Last edited:
On GT5-6 there were some solutions for miss-shifting when racing, like limiting the range as mentioned above. But this does not work for drifting as it wont get into gear at all, even when pressed 100%. The way to do it is to let off the throttle for a significant amount of time till the RPM lowers to a certain point. Very, very dissapointed that this is still the case...

And yet the Subaru WRX and the Renault Mégane (which both have gear sticks) won't work with my TH8A...
They have been improving the h shifter step by step, first they fix the shifter available on cars that don't have it, second they fix the 4, 5 and 6 gear problem for the g29, now they fix the problem were if you used a pedal car, you can't just go back to a h shifter car and use the h shifter again (They still need to improve on that one a bit more, but is ok for now) and finally, they made it so you can switch from pedals to h shifter on th spot, without having to quit the game and rejoin agin.

They have been improving the h shifter step by step, first they fix the shifter available on cars that don't have it, second they fix the 4, 5 and 6 gear problem for the g29, now they fix the problem were if you used a pedal car, you can't just go back to a h shifter car and use the h shifter again (They still need to improve on that one a bit more, but is ok for now) and finally, they made it so you can switch from pedals to h shifter on th spot, without having to quit the game and rejoin agin.
Yet games made with 1/10th the budget or less have a clutch that works much like a real clutch and the game automatically knows which shifters you have available and which one is appropriate for the car you are using. It's not rocket science, there's no need for PD to slowly fix the problem. Just fix it.

Some how my th8a is not working.
Neither does the clutch on my t3pa.

Do you have the shifter plugged in the wheelbase or directly in the Ps4?

And yet the Subaru WRX and the Renault Mégane (which both have gear sticks) won't work with my TH8A...

Some how my th8a is not working.
Neither does the clutch on my t3pa.

Do you have the shifter plugged in the wheelbase or directly in the Ps4?
From what I understand, the game is very picky about the TH8A, much like on GT6. If you plug it directly into the PS4, it will let you use H-Pattern+Clutch on cars that have it available (Focus, Lan Evo, etc.) but you can't use sequential mode.

If you go into the wheel base, it will let you use sequential on any car, but the H-Pattern or clutch will not function at all.

From what I understand, the game is very picky about the TH8A, much like on GT6. If you plug it directly into the PS4, it will let you use H-Pattern+Clutch on cars that have it available (Focus, Lan Evo, etc.) but you can't use sequential mode.

If you go into the wheel base, it will let you use sequential on any car, but the H-Pattern or clutch will not function at all.
I really hope this will be sorted before the game releases.
With the headphones and steeringwheel all USB ports are occupied.
Besides that it should work anyway.

Latest Posts

Back