Clutchless shifting

• Thread starter dkstz
  • 4 comments
Brazil
São Paulo, SP, Brazil
arten_v
Hi guys, it's been a while but I know no other place with so many car enthusiasts I could talk about this and get some real feedback about this.
In the last week I've been testing things with the car, like clutchless shifting.
From my home to the college it's about 4km. I use this way 4 times a day, and it has and steep uphill (downhill in reverse), traffic lights, one quick left-right corner... and it doesn't have many cars around any hour in the day (small town) :indiff:.

So, as I said earlier, recently I've been doing this kind of shifting. Upshifting and downshifting also. At first it was jerky and somewhat :nervous: noisy, but lately it got kind of smooth. Anyway, I was wondering... is it bad for the car to change gears withou using the clutch? Could I've been causing any damage to the transmission or something?

To upshift, I just release the gear while taking off my foot from the accelerator and with some "timing" it just enter in the next gear without even forcing the stick. For downshift it's more complicated, I have to give a quick tap in the accelerator to match the rotations of the engine and the transmission.... kinda like that.

I'm sure many of you has at least tried it once or twice, and you all have more experience and knowledge than I do. What are your thoughts about it??
Is it any good? Bad? Useful at all??

Thank you!!
Oh, by the way, I drive a Fiat Palio 1000cc.... :yuck: but it feels confortable :dopey:

I'm not going to get too into it but..

It can be a good skill to know if you ever have a clutch or MC problem, most times you can at least limp the car home.

Other then that, you'll just end up wearing your transmission faster, especially if your hearing grinding noises.

Back