Coast 2 Coast Tire Roast

• Thread starter The359
  • 1 comments
United States
Macungie, PA
The359
This is a bit of a delayed thread as this actually happened a few months ago, but I really feel like sharing something automotive that I was lucky enough to be part of since one of my friends who was involved has dropped a trailer of the video being made from out adventure.

At its core, the Coast 2 Coast Tire Roast was 17 days with a group of my friends, as well as new friends who signed up for the trip, driving 7600 miles from Philadelphia to the Pacific Northwest via the northern states and then back via the Midwest. All of us drove in our 86s - Subaru BRZs, Scion FR-Ss, and Toyota 86s, and we brought along a dedicated photographer and dedicated videographer as passengers to document the whole thing. We set foot in 17 different states as well as 6 National Parks, and met up with fellow 86 owners along the way.

20210904_093907.jpg

The idea is actually the brainchild of a friend of mine who I help run the 86philly Club, she actually planned the first Coast to Coast Tire Roast to Los Angeles and back in 2019, which she brought friends and newcomers on as well but I missed out on the opportunity to go along, so the second edition was a must for me, especially as I have never been west of Chicago in my life. She is wonderful at planning and the entire trip was built around a 50-page itinerary that she built but was more than open to altering based on how the days went. Every night was a different and random AirBNB, everything from 19th-century hotels, apple orchards, an old converted bar, to A-frames in the woods. And the routes were also picked for their scenery, getting off the highways when we could to take the back roads, because we literally are driving backroad corner carvers! And then sometimes we just found random places, like haunted hotels and locomotive graveyards.

20210907_125621.jpg

Because really the trip was about the cars and all of our love for the drive. But we also got out of the cars and enjoyed each other's company. Part of the route included a 4-hour ferry ride across Lake Michigan, and we didn't care that we were playing bingo, we were still loving it (and taking a break).

20210905_082748.jpg

Some of the early days through Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota were spent on highways, obviously not ideal for the 86s, and many of us really got mentally burned out from the driving simply because we covered a lot of miles those days. But once we hit the North Dakota Badlands and the scenery went from rolling hills to really beautiful gorges, followed by the heights of Montana and Glacier National Park. Taking the slow pace of tourists winding through the park didn't really matter, because they were beautiful sights and the car was still wonderful to drive through there.

20210908_113115.jpg20210908_121631.jpg

Then the sights changed once more as we skipped right through Idaho and met Washington. We stopped at so many small towns and everyone had questions for us, in part because we all had large themed magnets on our doors and banners on the windshields, so it all stood out. Even when we got to Mount Rainier and the smog was so thick we absolutely could not see Mount Rainier, it didn't really matter, because these old friends and new friends of mine made the best of it, it was laughs and memes and phrasing the entire way.

20210910_091723.jpg

We finally touched the ocean after 7 days on the road near the mouth of the Columbia River, and just took the time to soak it all in.

20210911_174510.jpg

But it was right back on the road, following the Columbia for some time and loving the roads in Oregon.

20210912_082309.jpg

But any road trip has to have its obstacles, and the forests of Idaho were where it came undone. Someone's transmission drain plug had not been attached properly in the weeks of prep beforehand, and the stress of our long miles finally backed it off and spilled its guts. Once we figured out the issue and got ourselves a plan for how to rescue one of our comrades from the middle of nowhere, two of us dashed through the rest of Idaho to get to our AirBNB and prepare what we needed so that we could fix it the next morning. But what roads to dash through, even if it meant three straight hours of driving without stopping because we were against the clock. And then after a late night of finally getting the stricken car to our AirBNB, we all got up early and fixed it, better than it was before, and we went right back to it, although a few hours delayed from our itinerary.

20210914_095857.jpg

And the car never faltered again. From here it was sight after sight, the Tetons, Yellowstone, Old Faithful, Devil's Tour, the Needles Highway, Mount Rushmore, The Badlands, and yes, even Wall Drug.

20210915_170314.jpg
20210916_093528.jpg

And let me tell you, gravel roads can be fun...to a point. Too many, and it starts to really get tiresome.

20210916_134005.jpg

But we ended a night in a town with a population under 200 in Nebraska, watched a thunderstorm roll through, and had a nice movie night on sofas.

20210917_064146.jpg

We knew once we hit Nebraska that we were back to some of the boredom of Midwest driving, so we found what tourist traps we could to entertain ourselves. I personally made the judgment call of stopping at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on our way back through Indiana, and absolutely no one argued against it.

20210918_165149.jpg

But by this point, it was all just a long drive to get home and an ending to our adventure. We stayed together as long as we could until each of us branched off to our respective highways home. My BRZ was coated in bugs and guts, dust, gravel, washer fluid, rock chips, and god only knows what else, but she survived and I loved every moment of driving it.

IMG_20210919_190653_131.jpg

This is a bit rambling, but I just wanted to be able to put down into words a fraction of what I experienced.

We made a collective instagram account to collect all of the group's photos together, so feel free to browse through them all at Coast 2 Coast Tire Roast

This is a bit of a delayed thread as this actually happened a few months ago, but I really feel like sharing something automotive that I was lucky enough to be part of since one of my friends who was involved has dropped a trailer of the video being made from out adventure.

At its core, the Coast 2 Coast Tire Roast was 17 days with a group of my friends, as well as new friends who signed up for the trip, driving 7600 miles from Philadelphia to the Pacific Northwest via the northern states and then back via the Midwest. All of us drove in our 86s - Subaru BRZs, Scion FR-Ss, and Toyota 86s, and we brought along a dedicated photographer and dedicated videographer as passengers to document the whole thing. We set foot in 17 different states as well as 6 National Parks, and met up with fellow 86 owners along the way.

View attachment 1096916

The idea is actually the brainchild of a friend of mine who I help run the 86philly Club, she actually planned the first Coast to Coast Tire Roast to Los Angeles and back in 2019, which she brought friends and newcomers on as well but I missed out on the opportunity to go along, so the second edition was a must for me, especially as I have never been west of Chicago in my life. She is wonderful at planning and the entire trip was built around a 50-page itinerary that she built but was more than open to altering based on how the days went. Every night was a different and random AirBNB, everything from 19th-century hotels, apple orchards, an old converted bar, to A-frames in the woods. And the routes were also picked for their scenery, getting off the highways when we could to take the back roads, because we literally are driving backroad corner carvers! And then sometimes we just found random places, like haunted hotels and locomotive graveyards.

View attachment 1096917

Because really the trip was about the cars and all of our love for the drive. But we also got out of the cars and enjoyed each other's company. Part of the route included a 4-hour ferry ride across Lake Michigan, and we didn't care that we were playing bingo, we were still loving it (and taking a break).

View attachment 1096918

Some of the early days through Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota were spent on highways, obviously not ideal for the 86s, and many of us really got mentally burned out from the driving simply because we covered a lot of miles those days. But once we hit the North Dakota Badlands and the scenery went from rolling hills to really beautiful gorges, followed by the heights of Montana and Glacier National Park. Taking the slow pace of tourists winding through the park didn't really matter, because they were beautiful sights and the car was still wonderful to drive through there.

View attachment 1096919View attachment 1096920

Then the sights changed once more as we skipped right through Idaho and met Washington. We stopped at so many small towns and everyone had questions for us, in part because we all had large themed magnets on our doors and banners on the windshields, so it all stood out. Even when we got to Mount Rainier and the smog was so thick we absolutely could not see Mount Rainier, it didn't really matter, because these old friends and new friends of mine made the best of it, it was laughs and memes and phrasing the entire way.

View attachment 1096921

We finally touched the ocean after 7 days on the road near the mouth of the Columbia River, and just took the time to soak it all in.

View attachment 1096922

But it was right back on the road, following the Columbia for some time and loving the roads in Oregon.

View attachment 1096923

But any road trip has to have its obstacles, and the forests of Idaho were where it came undone. Someone's transmission drain plug had not been attached properly in the weeks of prep beforehand, and the stress of our long miles finally backed it off and spilled its guts. Once we figured out the issue and got ourselves a plan for how to rescue one of our comrades from the middle of nowhere, two of us dashed through the rest of Idaho to get to our AirBNB and prepare what we needed so that we could fix it the next morning. But what roads to dash through, even if it meant three straight hours of driving without stopping because we were against the clock. And then after a late night of finally getting the stricken car to our AirBNB, we all got up early and fixed it, better than it was before, and we went right back to it, although a few hours delayed from our itinerary.

View attachment 1096924

And the car never faltered again. From here it was sight after sight, the Tetons, Yellowstone, Old Faithful, Devil's Tour, the Needles Highway, Mount Rushmore, The Badlands, and yes, even Wall Drug.

View attachment 1096925
View attachment 1096926

And let me tell you, gravel roads can be fun...to a point. Too many, and it starts to really get tiresome.

View attachment 1096928

But we ended a night in a town with a population under 200 in Nebraska, watched a thunderstorm roll through, and had a nice movie night on sofas.

View attachment 1096927

We knew once we hit Nebraska that we were back to some of the boredom of Midwest driving, so we found what tourist traps we could to entertain ourselves. I personally made the judgment call of stopping at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on our way back through Indiana, and absolutely no one argued against it.

View attachment 1096929

But by this point, it was all just a long drive to get home and an ending to our adventure. We stayed together as long as we could until each of us branched off to our respective highways home. My BRZ was coated in bugs and guts, dust, gravel, washer fluid, rock chips, and god only knows what else, but she survived and I loved every moment of driving it.

View attachment 1096930

This is a bit rambling, but I just wanted to be able to put down into words a fraction of what I experienced.

We made a collective instagram account to collect all of the group's photos together, so feel free to browse through them all at Coast 2 Coast Tire Roast

This is awesome man. Thanks for sharing, was a fantastic read!

Back