College Basketball 2018-2019 Season (Men and Women)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 52 comments
TB
The NDSU - Duke game will likely be a blowout but it will amazing to see the Bison on national television... and not for football!

Maybe it'll be that one game.
16 upsets a 1 seed.
:lol:

But you can always celebrate with No. 10 seed Minnesota. ;)

Maybe my best memory of North Dakota State [men's] basketball was when they went to Wisconsin and defeated Wisconsin in a regular season game. I do have love for the NDSU Bison. Any given game...

Sorry I forgot to mention this, but last night was the beginning of the NCAA Division 1 Women's Basketball Tournament. It was also the last of the round of 64. A few teams did good in the First Round, such as Houston, Purdue, Murray State, and Kentucky among others. Some others... not so much- like North Dakota State and Marquette.

This weekend is the 2nd Round- the Round of 32 for the men and the continuation of the round of 64 for the women. The Madness continues!

I waited until all of the matches were done before posting.

So now, we have hit the Sweet Sixteen on the men's side and the women's side. I think I heard that for the first time since 2009, all No. 1 seeds, all No. 2 seeds, and all No. 3 seeds have advanced to the Sweet Sixteen. There is no real Cinderella here. We had Loyola UC make the Final Four last season. There is still a ways to go before we crown champions. Among us active GTPlaneteers, my Houston Cougars are still in it, and Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers are still in it. Same goes for AnthonyD1993's Michigan Wolverines. Let's not forget Jordan's Kentucky Wildcats (who my Houston Coogs face next). Who, though, will be heading to the Final Four after this weekend's matches? We'll find out in the various matches to come this weekend.

Don't forget about the non-NCAA Division 1 tournament action. We still have NCAA Division 2, NCAA Division 3, the NIT, and the College Basketball Invitational (CBI) among others to still be settled. I was watching some of the NIT last night or so.

Tennessee parted ways with head womens coach Holly Warlick today. This season was the first time that Tennessee finished with a losing record in the SEC and the first in over 40 years that they didn't win 20 games.

Most of Tennessee's dominance in women's basketball was with the late, great Pat Summitt (who I GREATLY respected). Best of luck to the Lady Volunteers moving forward.

Speaking of moving forward, this weekend starts up the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight. We determine our National Championship picture after this weekend of action. Many dreams will continue; many others will be shattered. The action all continues today!

Good luck to all remaining teams in men's and women's basketball this postseason.

Speaking of Tennessee, Purdue's game against the men's team was tough to watch. Purdue blew a 2nd half 18 point lead, got behind, tied it back up, went to overtime and managed to win. Ryan Cline was raining 3's in the second half, a HUGE reason for the Purdue W.

Elite 8! Boiler Up!

University of Houston- done. 62-58 was the score as the Kentucky Wildcats advance to the Elite Eight. Proud of my Cougars nonetheless, though I knew the competition was only going to get tougher. Cheers to Jordan's Wildcats. The better pack of felines on this night, though, was Kentucky. Of course, there is no shame in losing to Kentucky at all.

Since I and my Coogs are done, congratulations to the eventual National Champion. I will still hype up this post and everything still. Just that it's over for UH. Elite Eight games begin Saturday. Final Four on the line for the remaining teams.

The National Championship is on the line today... in NCAA Division 2 men's basketball. At 3:00 PM Eastern, it will be Point Loma Nazarene against Northwest Missouri State. CBS will be showing this game.

Other than that, enjoy the Elite Eight!

Well, poop. Purdue nearly had 'em at the end of regulation, but it wasn't meant to be. Lost in overtime. :(

In other news, Carsen Edwards set a record with the most made 3's in an NCAA tournament. And despite the loss, he put up ANOTHER 42 points. He was also named the Most Outstanding Player of the South Regional, the first player to win that particular honor on a losing team since some guy named Steph Curry in 2008...

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our NCAA Division 1 Men's Final Four! When this coming weekend comes along, these four remaining teams will clash for a chance to play for the National Championship next Monday:

* #2 Michigan State vs. #3 Texas Tech
* #1 Virginia vs. #5 Auburn

We'll figure out the NCAA Division 1 Women's Final Four tonight. No. 2 Oregon and No. 2 UConn already advanced. The winner of (#1 Baylor vs. #2 Iowa) will meet Oregon in the Women's Final Four, and the winner of (#1 Notre Dame vs. #2 Stanford) will meet UConn in the Women's Final Four.

I actually saw most of Michigan State take out (or "drop off" in NBA 2K speak) Duke yesterday. So no more Zion talk during this season's March Madness.

Well... anyone want to pick a National Champion from these teams with this post? Or do you want to at least predict the National Championship game?

So no more Zion talk during this season's March Madness.

With Zion out and LeBron sitting the rest of the season the only thing ESPN has left is Bryce Harper until the NFL draft. Guess I don't need to watch SportsCenter for a month.

The men set it off in Minneapolis tomorrow night. The women, meanwhile, will set it off TONIGHT in Tampa Bay. Here's your Women's Final Four for NCAA Division 1 Women's Basketball:

* #2 Oregon vs. #1 Baylor
* #2 Connecticut vs. #1 Notre Dame

Two of these teams will move one step closer to college basketball immortality. The losing two will have to try again next season to have a chance at a National Championship.

Elsewhere, there is the CBI tournament in its final. We got South Florida vs. DePaul in Game 3 of this three-game series. So the champ of this Tournament will be from either Tampa Bay (South Florida) or Chicago (DePaul).

Good luck to the remaining teams not only in the NCAA D1 Women's Basketball tournament, but also the NCAA D1 Men's basketball tournament.

Okay, GTPlaneteers- can you feel it? It's about to be the Final Four of NCAA Division 1 men's basketball. Coming up in mere moments as of the time of this post:

* #5 Auburn vs. #1 Virginia
* #3 Texas Tech vs. #2 Michigan State

Two will play for a National Championship this coming Monday; two others will see their season end. It is the first-ever Final Four for Auburn and Texas Tech. So you know they want to make this experience last. It's going to be interesting to see what this season's National Championship will be. Heck... we could even have Auburn vs. Texas Tech for the National Championship!

Enjoy the [Men's] Final Four! And by the way, the Women's NCAA D1 basketball tournament has its National Championship game tomorrow- Connecticut vs. Notre Dame.

National Championships in NCAA Division 1 men's and women's basketball will be decided tonight and tomorrow. Tonight, we got Connecticut vs. Notre Dame for the women. It will be Texas Tech vs. Virginia tomorrow night on the Men's side. Are you ready for all the action as another season of college basketball nears its sunset?

I always thought Virginia won a National Championship. However, both Virginia and Texas Tech will play for their first-ever National Championship in men's college basketball.

Good luck to these teams, and congratulations to the eventual National Champions of these games.

I will compile all of the National Champions in a future post, but did any of you see the National Championship game last night between Notre Dame and Baylor? The game got very exciting late even as Baylor was playing very hard. It was "Sic 'em Bears" as Baylor won the NCAA Division 1 Women's National Championship this season, defeating Notre Dame 82-81.

So my congratulations to the Baylor [Lady] Bears on a job well done. Kim Mulkey is now a three-time National Championship coach.

Texas Tech has never been National Champions in men's basketball. Virginia [surprisingly] has never been National Champions in men's basketball. Tonight, one of these two teams will be atop the college basketball mountain for the first time ever in program history. Who will be on top? How will the 2018-2019 season of college basketball end? We'll find out as tonight's National Championship game will be played out in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Good luck to both teams, and congratulations to the eventual National Champion in NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball.

The 2018-2019 season of college basketball has concluded as of last night. Sad, I know. Now is the time I do my usual salute to champions across many different college basketball leagues and divisions. So here is my salute to the Champions of this season:

NCAA D1 Men: Virginia
NCAA D1 Women: Baylor
NCAA D2 Men: Northwest Missouri State (undefeated!)
NCAA D2 Women: Lubbock Christian
NCAA D3 Men: Wisconsin-Oshkosh
NCAA D3 Women: Thomas More
NIT Men: Texas
NIT Women: Arizona
CIT: Marshall
CBI: South Florida
NAIA D1 Men: Georgetown College (Kentucky)
NAIA D1 Women: Montana Western
NAIA D2 Men: Spring Arbor University
NAIA D2 Women: Concordia (Nebraska)
NJCAA D1 Men: Vincennes
NJCAA D1 Women: Gulf Coast State
NJCAA D2 Men: Kirkwood
NJCAA D2 Women: Kansas City (Kansas)
NJCAA D3 Men: Herkimer
NJCAA D3 Women: Hostos

Congratulations to all of the National Champions across many different levels of college basketball this season. So we can only wonder what the 2019-2020 season college basketball will provide. The champions can freely celebrate. But remember- the tens and hundreds of schools will be wanting to take the crown you all proudly hold. So get ready for a new season of college basketball!

College basketball talk this season on GTPlanet has been fairly minimal, but feel free to share your thoughts on the 2018-2019 season of college hoops.

It was a great season for Purdue and frustrating at the same being so achingly close to the Final Four and possibly making it to the championship game. And Edwards just declared for the NBA draft. :(

As a University of Houston fan, I am proud of my Cougars on a job well done. That baller season they've had shows the Cougars' basketball is going in the right direction, and Coach Kelvin Sampson is making Houston truly relevant for the first time since the "Phi Slamma Jamma" days. No one expected Texas Tech to advance as far as they did this past season. If you ask me, Houston could eventually return to competing for a National Championship if they keep this up and show improvement. Also helping the Coogs' cause was the renovation of the ancient Hoffheinz Pavillion to the beautiful NBA-like Fertitta Center. To me, the University of Houston can go only one direction- up. It is sad their journey had to end with a bitter defeat to Kentucky (no shame losing to Kentucky) in the Sweet Sixteen, but I think Houston will not go away any time soon.

I still found it hard to believe the University of Virginia never won the National Championship before. I thought they did since Virginia is usually a pretty good basketball school. Maybe I thought they were champions in the 1980s or so even with them being historically upset by Chaminade in 1982. But... they have never been champs until now. So all congratulations to the Virginia Cavaliers on winning it all.

Feel free to discuss any other thoughts on this past season of college basketball you may have.

THIS JUST IN...

Zion Williamson declared for the NBA Draft. So we're not going to hear of Zion tearing it up at Duke for the 2019-2020 season. Best of luck to Zion in the NBA.

Latest Posts

Back