College Basketball: 2019-2020 Season (Men and Women)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnBM01, May 14, 2019.

1. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

With tonight being the 2019 NBA Draft, I figured I'd start VERY early on a new college basketball thread. There is a lot of talk that goes on about players making moves, coaching moves, and more. So let me start off the 2019-2020 thread of college basketball today.

When we talk about defending champions, here are the champs of the 2018-2019 season:

--- 2018-2019 College Basketball Champions ---
    NCAA D1 Men: Virginia
    NCAA D1 Women: Baylor
    NCAA D2 Men: Northwest Missouri State (undefeated!)
    NCAA D2 Women: Lubbock Christian
    NCAA D3 Men: Wisconsin-Oshkosh
    NCAA D3 Women: Thomas More
    NIT Men: Texas
    NIT Women: Arizona
    CIT: Marshall
    CBI: South Florida
    NAIA D1 Men: Georgetown College (Kentucky)
    NAIA D1 Women: Montana Western
    NAIA D2 Men: Spring Arbor University
    NAIA D2 Women: Concordia (Nebraska)
    NJCAA D1 Men: Vincennes
    NJCAA D1 Women: Gulf Coast State
    NJCAA D2 Men: Kirkwood
    NJCAA D2 Women: Kansas City (Kansas)
    NJCAA D3 Men: Herkimer
    NJCAA D3 Women: Hostos

Can these teams repeat as champions? Will there be changing of the guard? Can not-as-talented teams overtake the better teams of today? This thread is all about all of the goings on in college basketball. Anything is fair game- from players transferring, new coaching hires, and all the preseason college hoops talk all the way to the National Championship games in Tournaments.

Time to tip off a new season of college basketball. So... GO!

2. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Recent word has it that the University of Michigan now has a new head coach after John Beilein took the Cleveland Cavaliers' job. Who's the new men's basketball coach of Michigan? Get to know Mr. Juwan Howard. Yep- J. Howard has gone from being an assistant of the Miami Heat to being the coach of the Michigan Wolverines men's basketball team. Michgan has been pretty baller in recent seasons, especially for a school traditionally known as a football power. Maybe Juwan Howard can help keep Michigan as being one of the most solid teams in college basketball.

3. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

The NCAA has voted to extend the 3-point line to the international distance. So that means the three-point line, at least in the NCAA Men's Basketball ranks, will be moved to 22 feet, 1.75 inches. NCAA Divisions 2 and 3 will follow with this distance the following season. Another change is that the shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound.

A few other changes have also been made. To see some of the other material I didn't mention here, take a look at this article: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...asketball-3-point-line-extended-international .

4. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

RECENTLY REPORTED...

Kansas University and Bill Self are being investigated for a lack of institutional control (insubordination?). They are being investigated with some sort of deal with Adidas. Bill Self will extensively battle this claim.

5. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

6. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

College basketball will tip off 2019-2020 this month. Most people don't follow college hoops around this time of year, but every game counts towards making the Tournament. So get ready for a new season!

7. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

College basketball is back TONIGHT! Among the many regular season games is the State Farm Champions Classic to be aired on ESPN. The Champions Classic consist of these games to be played at Madison Square Garden:

* #1 Michigan State vs. #2 Kentucky
    * #3 Kansas vs. #4 Duke

I forgot to post the Preseason AP rankings for men and women. So let me post those now. These are as accurate as October 21, 2019...

--- Preseason Top 25: NCAA Division 1 Men (as of: October 21, 2019) ---
    01: Michigan State
    02: Kentucky
    03: Kansas
    04: Duke
    05: Louisville
    06: Florida
    07: Maryland
    08: Gonzaga
    09: North Carolina
    10: Villanova
    11: Virginia <<< defending Nat'l Champion
    12: Seton Hall
    13: Texas Tech <<< Nat'l Champ. runners up
    14: Memphis
    15: Oregon
    16: Baylor
    17: Utah State
    18: Ohio State
    19: Xavier
    20: St. Mary's
    21: Arizona
    22: LSU
    23: Purdue
    24: Auburn
    25: Virginia Commonwealth

--- Preseason Top 25: NCAA Division 1 Women (as of: October 30, 2019) ---
    01: Oregon
    02: Baylor <<< defending Nat'l Champion
    03: Stanford
    04: Maryland
    05: UConn
    06: Texas A&M
    07: Oregon State
    08: South Carolina
    09: Louisville
    10: Mississippi State
    11: UCLA
    12: Florida State
    13: Kentucky
    14: North Carolina State
    15: Texas
    16: Notre Dame
    17: Michigan State
    18: Miami (Florida)
    19: DePaul
    20: Arizona State
    21: Syracuse
    22: Arkansas
    23: Minnesota
    24: Indiana
    25: Michigan

Enjoy the 2019-2020 season!

8. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

A newcomer to NCAA Division 1 basketball pulled off a nice win earlier tonight! Merrimack joined the Division 1 ranks and beat the Northwestern Wildcats of the Big Ten. The Merrimack Warriors of the NEC defeated Northwestern 71-61 at Northwestern.

9. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Have you heard? Last night, the Purple Aces of the University of Evansville knocked off the Kentucky Wildcats 67-64. Oh... and did I mention Kentucky was ranked No. 1 in the nation at that time? And also, this game was AT Rupp Arena! So can you imagine the 20K or so fans in attendance seeing their Wildcats fall hard last night? HUGE win for the Purple Aces!

10. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

You can never take anybody lightly. You can never assume big schools will take down smaller ones. We saw (then) No. 1 Kentucky fail hosting Evansville. Last night, No. 1 Duke lost at home to the Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin State. I'm sure this will hurt Duke pretty hard. Most of the early season Tournaments are wrapping up or maybe about to start or are continuing. Enjoy whatever college basketball action you are getting into!

11. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

College basketball still in full anger, but let me talk about some of the better teams right now. Let me share some Top 25 rankings with you all. Check it (source: NCAA.com)...

! = currently undefeated

--- NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball AP Rankings (as of: January 5, 2020) ---
    01 - Gonzaga
    02 - Duke
    03 - Kansas
    04 - Baylor
    05 - Auburn!
    06 - Butler
    07 - San Diego State!
    08 - Michigan State
    09 - Oregon
    10 - Florida State
    11 - Ohio State
    12 - Maryland
    13 - Louisville
    14 - Kentucky
    15 - Dayton
    16 - Villanova
    17 - West Virginia
    18 - Virginia
    19 - Michigan
    20 - Penn State
    21 - Memphis
    22 - Texas Tech
    23 - Wichita State
    24 - Arizona
    25 - Colorado

--- NCAA Division 1 Women's Basketball AP Rankings (as of: January 6, 2020) ---
    01 - Connecticut!
    02 - Oregon
    03 - Oregon State!
    04 - South Carolina
    05 - Stanford
    06 - Baylor
    07 - Louisville
    08 - UCLA!
    09 - North Carolina State!
    10 - Texas A&M
    11 - Florida State
    12 - Indiana
    13 - Mississippi State
    14 - Kentucky
    15 - DePaul
    16 - Gonzaga
    17 - Maryland
    18 - Arizona
    19 - West Virginia
    20 - Missouri State
    21 - Arkansas
    22 - South Dakota
    23 - Tennessee
    24 - Michigan
    25 - Princeton

I was going to report on NCAA D2 and NCAA D3, but I didn't have as reliable of sources to report on those rankings. I hope your favorite team(s) are doing well. Keep playing hard!

12. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Pittsburgh defeated North Carolina 66-52 earlier today in Pittsburgh. Can you believe UNC is now 8-9 on this season? North Carolina- usually one of the most baller programs in all of America... now under .500 after this loss. They are also now in last place in the ACC. Wow! Can you believe it? What's up with the Tar Heels this season?

Elsewhere...

* The University of Houston Cougars upset the No. 16 Wichita State Shockers 65-54 earlier today in Wichita, KS. UH improves to 14-4 on the season against a very game Wichita State crew. I really like where today's UH Cougars are going the past few seasons. They got a solid team and a great coach keeping everybody in check with Kelvin Sampson. This is a stretch, but I am hoping today's Houston Cougars can be as great as the Phi Slamma Jamma Cougars... only do what Phi Slamma Jamma couldn't do- win the National Championship.

* Auburn is no longer undefeated. The Auburn Tigers got lit up like a Christmas tree as the Florida Gators beat Auburn 69-47 in Gainesville, FL.

* West Virginia didn't have a good day themselves. The No. 12 Mountaineers were bested 84-68 in Manhattan, KS by the Kansas State Wildcats.

* Despite getting ejected on a Double Technical, John Calipari's Kentucky Wildcats escaped the Arkansas Razorbacks with a 73-66 victory.

Congratulations to all other winners from today- men's and women's basketball.

13. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Let's get ready to RUMBLE!!! The big news maker from this week has been the after-game brawl that ensued between rivals Kansas State at Kansas. Punches and a thrown chair were being thrown after the Jayhawks trounced the K-State Wildcats 81-59. Hmm... sounds like a No Disqualification WWE match, huh? De Souza of KU was suspended for at least 12 games for his involvement of throwing a chair.

More info: https://sports.yahoo.com/massive-fi...tate-basketball-game-bill-self-021543414.html

Wow. Insane brawl.

14. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Did you know San Diego State is the only undefeated team in men's Division 1 basketball? The Aztecs are 25-0. Their next game is at Boise State this Sunday. San Diego State is ranked 4th in the nation on the NCAA Division 1 men's side.

15. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

HEADS UP!

On ESPN right now is a Big Top 5 match as Big XII foes Kansas and Baylor are squaring off. Kansas is No. 3 in the nation at 23-3 (12-1 in Big XII), and Baylor is No. 1 in the nation (13-0). Enjoy any college basketball action that interests you!

16. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

All congratulations to U. of Oregon Guard Sabrina Ionescu. She is the first player in NCAA Division 1 basketball history (male or female) to record over 2K points, over 1K assists, and 1K rebounds in a career. It is an amazing accomplishment no matter how you look at it. S. Ionescu could have done this for a national power, but she did it at Oregon and asserted herself VERY well. No. 3 Oregon went on to beat No.4 Stanford 74-66 at Stanford.

Congratulations to all other winners from tonight's games.