College Football 2006 Postseason - Before, During, and After

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 43 comments
FoolKiller, with this win by LSU over Notre Dame, what do you think this proves about SEC football against teams like Notre Dame?

But on to my earlier question, what do you think this LSU blowout of Notre Dame does for SEC football in terms of national respect and recognition among college football fans? What does this loss say about Notre Dame and Brady Quinn? I may provide my own preview of Ohio State vs. Florida in a future post.

Reply away!
Well, I think it lets people know that the SEC is just a tough conference and getting out with one loss or less is a mighty feat. It also gives some of the smaller teams, like Kentucky, some football respect because it shows that you don't have to be a horrible team to get blown out by LSU.

If Florida can win the championship it will be great because then it will have people in the SEC debating whether it should have been LSU and then national discussions will have a hard time downplaying the SEC.

Honestly, I feel anyone that didn't give the SEC some respect before just weren't paying attention.

I ALWAYS respect the SEC. The SEC is just hard-nosed football. You can be as great as LSU or as pathetic as Mississippi State. Regardless, you're playing in a conference in which you always need to watch your back. I'm usually on tap in saying that the Big XII is a tough conference here in my region. Most people didn't get Texas a chance against USCal last season. But look what happened.

Ohio State is still a great team in their own right. So what do you all think it would take for Ohio State to beat Florida?

Two Bowl games remain until the epic encounter of Ohio State and Florida. One in America while the other is not. Let's go international by going to Toronto for the International Bowl!

NOTE: I am deeply sorry for not posting these scores on Saturday. I just simply forgot to update this thread with these results.

The 2007 International Bowl
Toronto Skydome - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

--- World Class ---
* Western Michigan vs. Cincinatti
Two MAC conference states are ready to duel in the only non-American Bowl game. Cincinatti is a Big East school in a state rich with MAC talent including... another team in Ohio that will play a big game on Monday. Western Michigan is a MAC school trying to make some noise against the Big East. The battle ground is the beautiful city of Toronto. Toronto is perhaps my favorite Canadian city. I do like the street race tracks at Vancouver and even Trois-Rivieres. Toronto is a wonderful city. WWE fans know Toronto as the hometown of Edge, Christian (still wrestling?), and Trish Stratus. You can see some sporting action of many varieties. You can watch the Toronto Blue Jays bat the ball into the stands and throw every money pitch against the other team. Toronto's ball park will be converted to play football. Speaking of football, you can see the Toronto Argonauts light up the CFL. The only reason why most of us Americans are caring about the Argonauts is because the maligned Ricky Williams (former Miami Dolphin. Now wants to return to Miami) played for the Argonauts. You can also see Toronto Raptors basketball. I don't think it will ever be the same since Vince Carter was rocking Toronto. The bread and butter of Canadian sports is hockey. So fear the Toronto Maple Leafs when you come to Canada to play hockey. The University of Toronto is a great place to get an education and enjoy some sports if you're in Toronto. They even have a Formula SAE team at the University of Toronto. Away from sporting events, Toronto remains a lively and fun city. The world's tallest tower can be found in Toronto- CN Tower. I believe it even has the world's tallest revolving restaurant. We need to go from the tallest tower back down to Earth. Western Michigan and Cincinatti will give Canadians a taste of American football. Western Michigan University probably didn't have to travel very far to get to Toronto. These boys stampeded their way into Toronto from Kalamazoo, MI. The Broncos are probably the second-best MAC school in Michigan other than Central Michigan. Western Michigan needs to stampede Cincinatti to have a chance. The University of Cincinatti has had some good footbal teams in the past. They usually make Bowl games. After the recent conference realignment, Cincinatti moved from Conference USA to the Big East. They play at lovely Nippert Stadium for their home games. And while Cincinatti has the Bengals in the NFL, the Bearcats are Cincinatti's kitty of choice. Let's find out together who will be lights out in Toronto.

I didn't get a chance to see this game live on TV. Thanks to ESPNEWS, I learned that Cincinatti barely edged out Western Michigan.

FINAL SCORE:
Western Michigan - 24
Cincinatti - 27

JOHN'S COMMENTS:
There is very little doubt that both of these teams are pretty powerful. Cincinatti may have not had an explosive season, but they are still among one of the better teams in America. They have great football and basketball. And if I'm not mistaken, the two have won National Championship(s) in both football and men's basketball. I probably know men's basketball for Cincinatti championships because of what Bob Huggings brought to Cincinatti before his controversial firing by University of Cincinatti president, Nancy Zimpher. Congrats to both teams on great seasons.

I apologize for not getting this in earlier. I will quickly put on GMAC Bowl results in a few minutes.

The 2007 Dakar Rally is underway if you are a motorsports fan. The Dakar Rally is a test of endurance and bravery. A lot less enduring will be the GMAC Bowl game between Ohio and Southern Mississippi.

The 2007 GMAC Bowl
Ladd-Peebles Stadium - Mobile, AL

--- Mobile Melee ---
* Ohio ***Bobcats*** vs. Southern Mississippi ***Golden Eagles***
It's the final non-BCS Bowl of the postseason. We will see Ohio meet Southern Mississippi. Before the festival in Glendale takes place, we are out in Mobile, Alabama. I don't know almost anything about Mobile. All I do know is that the racing world will see a brand-new motorsports complex in Mobile to host everything from go-karting to road racing. Alabama's motorsports reputation will increase more than it has been the past few years. Do you know your college basketball? What university calls Mobile home? That's right- the University of South Alabama. South Alabama hasn't hosted football in quite a while. I think they haven't had football since the 1960s. Mobile is Sun Belt country in basketball. South Alabama has a very talented school in basketball. Their basketball team makes a great matchup in the Sun Belt East against teams like New Orleans and Western Kentucky. I want to say that I know who plays at Ladd-Peebles Stadium, but I'm not extremely sure. Two teams have football teams... Ohio and Southern Mississippi. Southern Miss is first. I normally credit Southern Mississippi for developing Brett Favre into the future NFL Hall of Famer. The Golden Eagles are ready to soar into Mobile. They hope to im-Mobile-ize Ohio. So let's see... Tiger... Cougar... there's never a car bearing the name of Ohio's mascot. Or was there? Don't confuse Ohio with Ohio State. Ohio State plays in Glendale, Arizona against Florida. Ohio are a pack of Bobcats looking to take Southern Mississippi out of the skies. We got okay weather, two talented teams, and a packed house in Mobile. Let's get 'r done!

Both teams failed to score a point in the First Quarter. So it's either poor offense or great defense. The scoreless game was no more as Southern Mississippi picked up a wicked run on after USM gets sacked to a 2nd and 15 play. It's 6+1 with 8:33 left in the First Half. Southern Miss led 7-0 on a beautiful play from about mid field. Southern Mississippi rushed her in for another Touchdown in a First and Goal play. The extra point makes it 14-0 as a hard-nosed Southern Mississippi squad led Ohio with 3:03 left in the Half. I tuned into the game about two more times, and what I saw was pretty bad. Southern Mississippi led 28-0 with about 10 minutes left in the game. Inside the proverbial "two-minute warning," Ohio got themselves a consolation 6+1. And in the end, Southern Mississippi BEAT DOWN Ohio. Thanks for coming! Sorry, players. You dig Southern Miss' vibe?

FINAL SCORE:
Ohio - 7
Southern Mississippi - 28

JOHN'S COMMENTS:
Southern Mississippi is a great team in Conference USA. It's why I feared what they would do against my hometown University of Houston during C-USA play. I think Houston beat Southern Mississippi twice this season. Southern Miss will lose games, but they'll fight in ALL of their games. They are absolutely killer either way. Ohio is a great team themselves. They'll bounce back and be a tour de force for the MAC. That is, unless Central Michigan have another stellar season next season.

JOHN'S EXTRAS

--- BOBBY HAMILTON SR. DIES ---
On the NASCAR circuit, Bobby Hamilton has lost his battle with cancer. B. Hamilton was a pretty good NASCAR racer when I heard of him. I think I best remember Bobby Hamilton driving the Kodak #4 car in (then) Winston Cup and is a considerable NASCAR Truck racer. But sadly, we have lost a great NASCAR racer. His sunrise is 1957, and 2007 is his sunset. I'm deeply saddened to get this news. Bobby Hamilton was 49 years old.

--- DAKAR RESULTS AFTER STAGE 1 ---

The CAR class saw the Top 5 dominated by Volkswagen. The leading VW driver was Carlos Souza. A bunch of other competitors in the car class involved BMW, Renault(?), and those damned Hummers. * The TRUCK class saw the #502 Gerare de Rooy followed by Hans Stacey in an MAN truck. Helder Rorigues' Yamaha led the way in the Bike class. I have great apppreciation for what these racers do. Over 525 entrants will compete in this year's event. This number of cars is a record for the event. It used to be the Paris-Dakar Rally, but the action starts in Lisbon, Portugal. The race ends on the northwestern African coast in Dakar, Senegal. Versus ( http://www.versus.com ) has the highlights of the rally since Speed Channel is too stuck up on NASCAR to cover any real racing this time of year.

--- BOBBY PETRINO TO THE ATLANTA FALCONS ---
Bobby Petrino is the head coach of the Orange Bowl-winning Louisville Cardinals. Now the Cards will have to kiss Bobby Petrino goodbye as Petrino will coach the Atlanta Falcons of the NFL. It will sure be interesting to see who will fill Petrino's seat once the renewal of the Louisville/Kentucky rivalry takes form for next season. Good news for me is that I won't confuse Bobby Petrino with Rick Pitino (Louisville's Men's basketball coach) when talking about Louisville. It should be a 5-year deal for Petrino to try to save the Falcons.

--- UPDATE ON THE SOUTH ALABAMA DEAL ---
I had to read a cached website link on Google. I found out about the link with Ladd Peebles Stadium and whatever football is played there. The link below this paragraph was a Press Release from 2002 regarding South Alabama's intent to use Ladd Peebles Stadium as the home of South Alabama football. The Jaguars will use Ladd-Peebles to make ready for football by about 2007. It is pretty old, but I don't know if we'll actually see South Alabama stage a potentially successful 1-A football team much like when Western Kentucky plays Sun Belt football in 2009.

Read more here: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...uth+Alabama+football&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Save the last dance! Ohio State vs. Florida! You ready? The final Bowl of the 2006-2007 season is on Monday on FOX. Florida is #2 going up against #1 Ohio State. Will Ohio State finish undefeated with their Heisman man, Ted Ginn Jr.? Or will Florida bat clean up and give the SEC an undisputed National Championship? Preview at will because my next post may likely be about this upcoming match.

--- BOBBY PETRINO TO THE ATLANTA FALCONS ---
Bobby Petrino is the head coach of the Orange Bowl-winning Louisville Cardinals. Now the Cards will have to kiss Bobby Petrino goodbye as Petrino will coach the Atlanta Falcons of the NFL. It will sure be interesting to see who will fill Petrino's seat once the renewal of the Louisville/Kentucky rivalry takes form for next season. Good news for me is that I won't confuse Bobby Petrino with Rick Pitino (Louisville's Men's basketball coach) when talking about Louisville. It should be a 5-year deal for Petrino to try to save the Falcons.
As a Kentucky fan I can only say one thing about this deal--- GO FALCONS!!! :lol:

Honestly, in Louisville, Kentucky this morning you wouldn't know there is a championship game tonight. But as a Louisville fan co-worker said this morning, "He's been trying to leave since he got here." It's a pretty honest statement, considering the man has interviewed both secretly and publicly multiple times a year since he arrived.

The big problem is that the fans in Louisville felt secure after he signed a ten-year contract with a $1 million buyout clause in July while saying, “For me and my family, Louisville is my home. I also wanted to make sure that everyone understood — and I know I’ve said it — that this is where my family wants to be and where I want to be.”

So, while Louisville fans mourn, because they have no basketball hopes at this point, I will walk with my head high. I guess I won't be hearing those championship rumblings for a while now. All I hear now is, "What will Brohm do?" and, "Will we keep our recruits?"

If any of those recruits would like to wear blue, I know a team that just regained their full compliment of recruitment scholarships after some NCAA punishments. :D

Okay, folks. You waited a whole month for this match to take place. Well guess what? It's here! Ohio State looking for yet another title. Florida looking for its second-ever. The best of the best. Gloves off. Crap aside. Balls out. Put up or shut up. Let's decide a National Champion!

*+x Battle for the National Championship x+*

The 2007 Tostitos BCS National Championship Game
University of Phoenix/Cardinal Stadium - Glendale, AZ, USA

--- All or Nothing ---
* Ohio State ***Buckeyes*** vs. Florida ***Gators***
Magic couldn't possibly happen again. Remember the last game played in Glendale? Some team called Boise State made themselves known to America when they knocked off Oklahoma in a stunning upset. Glendale saw one great game. Will they see another? This beautiful new stadium will host the BCS National Championship game. Let me start with Florida. There is one reason why I like Florida: Urban Meyer. I call him a magician. Nobody heard of Utah until they blasted Pittsburgh in a BCS game a few years ago. He's a guy I truly admire. Most people don't believe Florida's offense can stand up against Ohio State. The Gators will be ready to take on Ohio State with guns ablazing. Now let's meet Ohio State. You know what you're getting playing as or against Ohio State. Ohio State is pure football power. You go to Ohio State to play football and beat the other team into their own grave. Get ready to see Buckeye football, Florida. While I don't underrate Florida, this is sure to be a big match. Maybe not as anticipated as last year's USCal/Texas match, but still a great matchup nonetheless. Let's make like Marvin Gaye and get it on!

Ted Ginn Jr. put the Buckeyes on top on a wicked coast-to-coast touchdown. Extra point good, so give Ohio State 7 points total. Seven Gator plays later, don't forget to give Florida seven points. They got 6+1 to tie the game. Ohio State has allowed two touchdowns in the First Quarter for the first time this season. Florida's game plan seemed more like: "hit 'em early; hit 'em hard!" First Quarter ends with Florida leading 14-7 inside the 5 and close to paydirt. * Thirty seconds into the Second Quarter, Florida hit paydirt as they make their 6+1 to make it 21-7. Ohio State got some help as Florida was Roughing the Passer after a great OhSU gain. Can Ohio State cash in? Who would have thought this would be a high-scoring fragfest? The scarlet and gray found their way into the end zone with a rushing touchdown. An extra point makes it 21-14. It's a Wild West shootout between two teams that reside nowhere near Western. Not even West Coast offense between these two. At an even six minutes left in the Second Quarter, Florida cashed in a three-point kick. So it's 24-14 now. Make it 27-14 as Florida hit a money field goal later in the game. This was a Florida team that got b:censored:slapped by Auburn earlier in the season. With 23 seconds left in the half, Florida cashed in an easy money touchdown. It's 33-14 pending the extra point. Extra point taken. So make it 34-14 after that score. Tebow shown his mobility in connecting to one of his receivers. And SEC nation is ready to bad mouth Ohio State straight to Hell. And my buddy FoolKiller is one the biggest SEC supporters on GTPlanet. We got a blowout going here. Anything over 14 points in football (to me) is a blowout. Over four Personal Fouls were called in the First Half. Later in the game, Ted Ginn Jr. sprained his ankle or his foot... and Ohio State's offense took another shot to the heart. The updated score with 4:15 left in the Third Quarter is unchanged- 34-14. It remained unchanged after three quarters. * I'm basically watching Florida get her done with the running games and a little bit in the passing game. No one thinks Ohio State is overrated. Just that Florida is trying to beat Ohio State much like when people doubted Texas in last year's INCREDIBLE Rose Bowl. Is it possible for Florida to win a National Championship in men's basketball, football, and whatever else (only Triple Crown would be a National Championship in baseball). Speaking of baseball, Florida's been getting plenty of hits against Ohio State. Fourth and Goal with 10:20 left in the game... Meyer wants to go for it at around the 2 or 3 yard line. TOUCHDOWN GATORS!!! Despite the tipped extra point, Florida led 41-14. How do they party down in Gainesville? It was ten years ago in which Florida blown out Florida State in the 1997 Sugar Bowl for the title. Ten years later... look at Florida now. Ohio State's chances of winning are being shattered like these good Tostitos chips I'm eating. Bad way to start 2007 if you're a Buckeye fan. The people in SEC country and at the University of Michigan are laughing their butts off looking at Ohio State. Ohio State hasn't scored a single point since the Second Quarter. One of college football's most dominant teams ANYWHERE is getting spanked like a bad Kindergarten student. Ohio State has allowed the most points against an opponent since Ohio State was getting spanked against Illinois in 11/13/1999. That's right. We're talking football, not basketball. Most people know Illinois is the worst Big Ten football team other than Indiana. Three minutes even and on a 4th and 4, Florida barely converts for the First and 10. Since that conversion, Florida has been unglued from their seats. Urban Meyer ran away from a Gatorade bath as he was getting swamped with Gatorade. How fitting... Gator-ade. And as the seconds ticked away, your National Champions hail from Gainesville, FL. They call their football field "The Swamp." They haven't won the tielt since 1996 under Steve Spurrier. Here is your winner, and the NEEEEEEEEWWWWW National Champions: The Florida Gators!!!!!

*+x FINAL SCORE x+*
#2 Florida - 41 (2006 National Champions!) *upset!*
#1 Ohio State - 14

JOHN'S COMMENTS
Wow. This was a first-class ass pounding. With cheese. And ketchup. And extra fries. And salt. And pepper. And an extra-large soft drink. And a free Kids Meal, with a toy that doesn't fall apart after a couple of months. What happened to Ohio State? Ohio State had only one lead. It was Florida thereafter. I love Big Ten football. GREAT football tradition. But I also like SEC football. It's down and dirty. You come to play EVERY DAY in the SEC. You don't come to play, you're going to get beat. The main question is if Florida was too good, or if Ohio State didn't come to play. This was the first National Championship embarassment since USCal smashed Oklahoma a few years ago. I'll admit. I usually don't think of Florida as the premiere football power in the state of Florida. It used to be that Florida State and Miami are the two best in Florida. Florida shown just how incredible they are as Florida State and Miami had subpar seasons. This was unbelievable at best. It's an upset in terms of rankings. Florida was a #2 as Ohio State was #1. I'd sure like to see the Preseason rankings for both teams when next season rolls around. Here is a fact for you. Ohio State falls to 0-8 with this loss in Bowl Games against the SEC. So let's say Mississippi State or Kentucky plays Ohio State in a Bowl. Could they still win? Ohio State just had a quality loss. Told some of you not to overlook the SEC. But you didn't listen. And look what happened. Also, the last time a team won the Heisman Trophy and won a National Championship game, only Matt Leinart won the past few years back in 2004.

Next post is going to be my "Winners and Losers" in which I take a look at what the Winners and Losers of the Bowl season. I will also make my votes for winners and losers on the whole season. Let me review to you all how I do the "Winners and Losers" segment. Here is a brief overview:

BIGGEST WIN - Recipients of this award range from teams who pick up huge wins in pressure situations or teams who get wins to help build momentum.

MOST DISAPPOINTING LOSS - Recipients of this are about teams who lost would've/could've/should've won games. Think about games in which teams should have won but allowed the other team to come back to win. Think of easy wins on paper that resulted in horrible losses once the game played.

UPSET - Recpients of this award go to outmatched teams that win under extreme pressure. Think of an unranked mid-major beating a bigtime team.

OWNAGE - My personal favorite. This relates to teams who win the game by BIG margins. Think of a team that beats the other by about five touchdowns. There's no preference as to what teams are involved. It all depends on who beats the other team by a huge margin of victory.

Congratulations to the 2006 National Champion. You played great. Now stay tuned either later today or tomorrow for my Winners and Losers.

JOHN'S EXTRAS

--- DONALD TRUMP VS. ROSIE O' DONNELL ---
Monday Night RAW showcased an "interesting" wrestling match while the BCS National Championship was under way. Rosie O' Donnell took on the Donald. Not Don Panoz... the other Donald- Donald Trump. And in the end, it was Donald Trump who beat O' Donnell after she was pie-faced with some sugar-packed fudge cake that was Rosie's pre-match meal. The two weren't real (I believe), but it was a heated exchange. It used to be that one of the big celebrity rivalries was Jennifer Aniston and... that other girl (forget who. Angelina Jolie, perchance?). Then later in the 10PM EST hour, Ron Simmons (Farrooq) said the only thing he really says- "Damn!"

--- EVER SEEN THE WORLD COMBAT LEAGUE? ---
The World Combat League is a team concept of martial arts fighting. Some teams I've heard of in the WCL are the Philadelphia Fire, New York Crush, Los Angeles Stars, Dallas Dragons, Denver Destroyers, and the Las Vegas Gators among others. Teams score points by scoring knockdowns and such. It's a group founded by Ryan, Oklahoma's finest martial artist- Chuck Norris. I believe there are teams of five men and one tough woman to each team. This is a pretty cool concept. Matches are about three minutes long whereas the teams bring out a member of the team to take on a member of the other team. The circle they compete in is kind of like a Sumo wrestler circle or even Greco-Roman wrestling. The fights can be pretty intense. You're talking about getting whacked in the head, kicked in the abdomen... getting your head rattled... and you're just a mixed-martial artist (MMA) trying to survive as is your team. Wicked stuff. More info at: http://www.worldcombatleague.com/

Once again, I will choose my Winners and Losers. I want you all to make your own votes as to the biggest winner, most disappointing loser, the biggest upset, and the largest ownage. See you with all of that later this week.

Great write-ups throughout, John. And it's great...to be...a Florida Gator.

And it's great...to be...a Florida Gator.
We'll see how you guys do when you come back to Commonwealth on October 20th.

While I love to see my conference win this is going to be miserable. For the first time ever a school reigns in both basketball and football at the same time.

Come February Billy Packer and Dick Vitale won't be able to shut up. This will somehow be brought into our basketball rivalry.

Thanks to everyone for their support. I honestly thought that I would cover these Bowl games all alone with no support from the GTPlanet public. I'm thankful people stepped up and got involved. I love it when I can get some support going. Some of you even notice how I've tried to personalize scores and such. I'm just trying to get some more people to check out my scores and talking college football. When I'm done with all of this, I'll go to the Basketball forums and finish off the 2006-2007 hoops season from conference play to March Madness.

So after reviewing the scores, I will render my Winners and Losers. Here goes:

JOHN'S WINNERS AND LOSERS

BIGGEST WIN(S) OF THE POSTSEASON
(tie) (Division 1-A/FBS) Texas Tech Comes from Behind to Beat Minnesota in Overtime
- This is hands-down the biggest winner of all. Texas Tech was looking to be ripped to shreds until they fought back with all their might. Too bad this wasn't on the ESPN networks (it was on NFL Network of all channels). Not many people had the chance to see Texas Tech match Minnesota's offers towards regulation. Then when it mattered most, Texas Tech kicked their game into another gear and totally won this game. As a result of Minnesota's terrible season, their head coach got fired. Certainly NOT Minnesota football.
(tie) Kentucky Returns to Bowl Action and Beats Clemson - Kentucky has been the team I've kept a close eye on all season. I'm grateful to work with GTPlanet's FoolKiller on a season of ups and downs for Kentucky. I never expected Kentucky to do as well as they have this season. This is probably their best season since Tim Couch was under center for Kentucky years ago. Kentucky is not the best team in SEC football, but they aren't the sorriest. At least they've shown they aren't the sorriest in the conference. They still have a long way to go in taking down teams like LSU, Florida, Georgia (they already beat the Bulldogs this season), Auburn, and Arkansas. The blue and white can happily rest until next season starts. Hope some more recruits will help so that Kentucky can be the next Arkansas. From a personal perspective, FoolKiller, it's a great joy for you to reply in my reports about your beloved Wildcats. I hope I made things as interesting as I could in covering the 'Cats.
(tie) (Divisions 2 and 3) Grand Valley State (Div. 2) and Mount Union (Div. 3) Remain Dynasties in Respective Divisions - I would love to see a match between Grand Valley State University and Mount Union College. These are the two finest football schools in NCAA Divisions 2 and 3 respectively. They have been the best of the best in recent times. Absolutely no denying the firepower these two teams bring. I forget the Division 2 opponent for GVSU, but Ohio's Mount Union took on a hungry Wisconsin-Whitewater and came away victorious. Still. I'd love to see these two teams (despite their Divisons) go at it. It would be the best matchup Division 1-AA/FCS or lower.

MOST DISAPPOINTING LOSS(ES) OF THE POSTSEASON
(tie) Rivals Ohio State and Michigan Have Seperate BCS Bowl Woes
- Ohio State and Michigan are two of the nation's finest teams in America. Their respective opponents (Florida for OhSU and USCal for Michigan) may not be extremely inferior, but these two schools could have put forth a much better effort than what these two teams shown in their BCS bowls. Michigan has lost two straight heading into the 2007 season. Michigan's only regular season loss was to Ohio State in a close game I didn't get a chance to listen to or see. I'm extremely disappointed in Ohio State. Ohio State performed worse than Michigan. Florida's defense simply blanked Ohio State in the Second Half. It also shows that you don't count out the SEC. The SEC had a field day whitewashing the Ohio State offense and defense. And let me say it again- Ohio State got pounded and pounded hard. Ohio State disappointed severely. Michigan disappointed as well, but not as bad as Ohio State.
(tie) The Big XII (the losing teams) - Kansas State lost 37-10 to Rutgers (Texas Bowl). Texas A&M lost 45-10 to California (Holiday Bowl). Missouri lost to Oregon State 39-38 in a thriller (Sun Bowl). Nebraska lost 17-14 to Auburn (Cotton Bowl). And let's not forget Oklahoma's crushing Overtime defeat to Boise State by a score of 43-42 (Fiesta Bowl). My region normally gets a lot of Big XII talk. So it's sad for my region because we've seen these teams simply taken down and out.

UPSET(S) OF THE POSTSEASON (if any)
#9 Boise State is for Real! Just Ask #7 Oklahoma
- Boise State shown some true character in looking for the grand slam. Now I could have given this honor to the Ohio State/Florida game, but this is more of an upset than that game. The coolest thing about this game was after the game was over. After Boise State made that BEAUTIFUL play to win the game, the guy who ran it in for the 2-point conversion was on bended knee to his cheerleader girlfriend. She accepted! And Boise State lived happily ever after. It seems like a storybook ending, minus the National Championship trophy. This Boise State win also added plenty more fuel to the playoff fire. Would Boise State have taken Florida to the limit like they did Oklahoma? Would Boise State be the first(?) Division 1-A/FBS champion from the WAC conference? This was as impactful as the game-winning touchdown in last year's Rose Bowl game between USCal and Texas. It was great joy watching this game.

OWNAGE OF THE POSTSEASON
Notre Dame's and Ohio State's BCS Beatdowns
- Both teams lost by the same margin. According to what's been available to me, I haven't seen any Division 1-AA/FCS to Division 3 beatdowns. So all I have are Division 1-A/FBS beatdowns. The two biggest beatdowns were LSU beating Notre Dame and Florida beating Ohio State. So here you go:

Notre Dame and Ohio State = OWNED! (Margin: 27; 41-14 was final score in both defeats)

Do you all like my picks? Well, you're free to make your own Winners and Losers for one or all categories. Nice of you all to read this thread and make comments. I hope to continue providing more college sports discussions here on GTPlanet. I love you all. Thank you for your reading and your respect.

(tie) Kentucky Returns to Bowl Action and Beats Clemson - Kentucky has been the team I've kept a close eye on all season. I'm grateful to work with GTPlanet's FoolKiller on a season of ups and downs for Kentucky. I never expected Kentucky to do as well as they have this season. This is probably their best season since Tim Couch was under center for Kentucky years ago. Kentucky is not the best team in SEC football, but they aren't the sorriest. At least they've shown they aren't the sorriest in the conference. They still have a long way to go in taking down teams like LSU, Florida, Georgia (they already beat the Bulldogs this season), Auburn, and Arkansas. The blue and white can happily rest until next season starts. Hope some more recruits will help so that Kentucky can be the next Arkansas. From a personal perspective, FoolKiller, it's a great joy for you to reply in my reports about your beloved Wildcats. I hope I made things as interesting as I could in covering the 'Cats.
Coming out with a decent season looks good for the Cats and it was just what we needed now that we have a full compliment of scholarships available. I'll give Rich Brooks credit, he has brought in the young talent. They aren't the best in the country and don't make big headlines, but they come in and make the team work well.

If we can keep this up for a few years we may be able to attract more talent and possibly face a Florida or LSU on equal footing (fingers crossed).

It's been great reading your Kentucky reports and I was surprised to see a Texas man have more faith in the Wildcats than I did, but football is something we gave up on a few decades back. It is a trend that we need to reverse because the big money is in football now, no matter how much more we love basketball.

A side not in Kentucky news: The first football game every year for a while now has been Louisville, but our athletics director thinks we could actually win if we played them around game three, so for the first time in over a decade next seasons Game One will not be Louisville, rather Easter Kentucky University. :indiff: So much for the big kickoff to the season, but at least we won't start of 0-1, for a change.

See you in the Basketball threads.

GO CATS!!!

Back