College Football Week 14: This Ain't Over Yet!

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 0 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
GTPlanet, I will admit that trying to cover both basketball and football has led me to concentrate on one than the other.

DIVISION 1-A SCORES
(some scores courtesy of: http://statistics.ncaafootball.com/...age=cfoot/scores/live/scoreboard.aspx?season= )

*+x GAME OF THE WEEK x+*
"Star Power" UCLA at USC
Movie City, USA is home to one of the biggest rivalries all year. This is a battle of two Los Angeles schools. There were some celebrities both on the field and off the field. Some examples include Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and even college football analyst Kiri Herbstreit. Matt Leinart doesn't mind the attention, but he doesn't have a supreme ego. He hopes that his Trojans can win one more game to hopefully meet Texas in Pasadena, CA. The team who plays in Pasadena is UCLA. The Bruins call the Rose Bowl home. And what a beautiful home it is (not saying the L.A. Coliseum isn't beautiful too)! So let's see who won this ugly rivalry game. Ugly is right. The red carpet and paparazzi were out in full force as the Trojans felt like $1,000,000. Not just star power, not just horsepower, but fire power. They have plenty heading into the Rose Bowl.
(66-19; SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA)

* Akron vs. Northern Illinois *+x MAC Championship x+*
The Detroit Lions call Ford Field home. And unlike the Lions, two winning teams made their way into MoTown to see who will be the MAC Champion. The Akron Zips had to be the ultimate underdog. Akron is really inexperienced and enjoying their first taste of victory. Their opponents are from Illinois... DeKalb, IL to be exact. The Northern Illinois Huskies were champs several times and not afraid to meet competition like this. After NIU was cleaning house, Arkon fought back to win. Akron won their one-way ticket to the Motor City Bowl. (31-30; Arkon)

* Louisiana Tech at #23 Fresno State
After the First Quarter, both teams traded field goals to tie things up at 3-3. These are two of the WAC's biggest talents. Maybe Louisiana Tech isn't as big as Boise State, but they are still solid if they can get it done on the field. In the First Half, Fresno State picked up four turnovers. Two fumbles and two picks on Pinegar led to Fresno State to discombobulation and a 26-3 blowout by Louisiana Tech. (??-??; Louisiana Tech)

"Gold Rush" Tulsa at UCF *+x Conference USA Championship Game x+*
In the end, the Golden Hurricane took down the Golden Knights. Give credit to UCF for bringing this team from the grave. (44-27; Tulsa)

* Army vs. Navy ---RG: Army/Navy Game--- *+x for: Commander-in-Chief Trophy x+*
Talk about the great American rivalry! This is a rivalry which involves service, commitment, and honor. No matter who wins this game, both units are winners in defending our nation against any threat internally or externally. The Black Knights have done surprisingly well this season with a 4-6 record heading into this game. They usually used to lose 80% of their games, but have done pretty well this season. The Navy Midshipmen look to sink Army's battleship yet again. In the end, its... "oh my God, Navy blew out Army! You bastards!" (42-23; NAVY)

* Texas vs. Colorado *+x BIG XII Championship Game- Houston, TX x+*
In 1946, Texas b*tchslapped Colorado 76-0. This one wasn't even close. It was about 42-3 in the first half, 70-3 at the end of the 3rd... Colorado needs a miracle in about... 15 minutes to make a game out of this. Once again, Colorado failed to find the End Zone. Talk about can't win the big one. It's a Texas-sized Texas ass kicking. Can you dig that? (70-3; Texas)

* #13 Georgia at #3 LSU *+x SEC Championship Game- Atlanta, GA x+*
The Georgia Bulldogs rip a massive upset over #3 LSU's Tigers. From Athens to Atlanta isn't too far apart. Georgia's going to stay in Georgia to hopefully play in the Sugar Bowl. (34-14; Georgia)

* #5 Virginia Tech vs. Florida State *+x ACC Championship Game- Jacksonville, FL x+*
In one of two big upsets, the Virginia Tech Hokies were cleaning up the ACC (except rivals Miami). Florida State has a three-game losing streak. This is something the Seminoles hope to rectify before they go to a four-game losing streak. That streak ended as Florida State playing IN FLORIDA to whip Virginia Tech. I bet FSU was saying "overrated" to Virginia Tech. Turn the upset alarm on. (27-22; Floirda State)

* Middle Tennessee State at Florida International
The Middle Tennesee State Blue Raiders failed to take down the FIU Panthers. (35-31; FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL)

* #12 West Virginia at South Florida
The BCS-bound West Virginia Mountaineers finally got their tickets to play in a bigtime bowl. South Florida's Bulls was doing very well this season, just couldn't upset the Mountainners. If the Big East lacks talent and doesn't deserve a BCS bid, West Virginia surely was a huge exception. (28-13; West Virginia)

* Louisville at Connecticut
Connecticut is on the rise, but the Huskies couldn't prove it against the Louisville Cardinals. (30-20; Louisville)

I have no Division 1-AA or lower scores. I will try to update the Division 1-AA, 2, and 3 Playoffs whenever I get a chance and whenever I get some scores. Check that thread out when I get the chance to update.
===
MY COMMENTARY

BIGGEST WIN(S) OF THE WEEK
Akron Defeats Northern Illinois for Their First MAC Title I salute the Zips in this amazing win. Nothing makes an inexperienced team better than to win a big title. The MAC is no pushover conference and neither were Akron. That late touchdown drive really shocked the boys from DeKalb.

MOST DISAPPOINTING LOSS(ES) OF THE WEEK
All That Hard Work, Nothing to Show for Virginia Tech Virginia Tech is a good team looking to be great, but hasn't gone to "great" status by losing this game to a struggling Florida State. This is with all due respect to Florida State and Virginia Tech, but this was heartbreaking. Virginia Tech deserved to play in a BCS Bowl, but they didn't finish off Florida State. So as the Hokies didn't make the show, Florida State is going to go BCS Bowling instead of VT.

UPSET OF THE WEEK:
Georgia 'Dawgs Took a Big Bite out of the Tigers You know it. Big upset. Georgia held together to take down Louisiana State. Those Bulldogs got a big win and declared, "we won't be denied!" Beautiful win. Good doggies.

OWNAGE(S) OF THE WEEK:
Your National Championship Game is Set! As a special service, I'm offering my OWNAGE OF THE WEEK to USC and Texas to show that these are the two best teams in the nation. So...

Colorado = OWNED! (by Texas 70-3)
...and...
UCLA = OWNED! (by Southern California 65-19)

Texas got the first ownage because it was bigger than USC owning UCLA.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
GTPlanet, for what I know... the regular season for all divsions of college football is over! Postseason play will be in my forthcoming thread on the Bowl Games. I will update the thread each day when a Bowl is underway. I encourage you to join me to talk Bowl Game action. Until then, that's the final week of 1-A football as the Bowl Games near.

Back