• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 10 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
To enhance the scope of topics on GTPlanet's Sports Forum, I figured I'd start a general thread on collegiate hockey. From time to time, I like watching some college hockey games as much as I try to catch NHL games. At least here in the United States is where some of the stars of the college game end up making a difference in the pro hockey ranks. I've seen a few games from teams like Notre Dame, Boston College, Boston University, St. Cloud State, Miami University (Ohio), Michigan, Wisconsin, and schools like that. You certainly can't go against B1G hockey.

I will try to contribute to this discussion any way I can. But if you like collegiate hockey, you're free to discuss it here in this thread. Let's drop the puck on this thread and face off for this discussion.

To contribute to the college hockey discussion, here are the standings in NCAA Division 1 Men's Ice Hockey as of December 12, 2016:

01: Minnesota-Duluth
02: Denver
03: Penn State
04: Harvard
05: Boston College
06: Boston University
07: Massachusetts-Lowell
08: North Dakota
09: Ohio State
10: Minnesota
11: Vermont
12: Notre Dame
13: Union
14: Quinnipiac
15: Bemidji State
16: Western Michigan
17: St. Lawrence
18: St. Cloud State
19: Minnesota State
20: Nebraska-Omaha

For full standings and stats, visit http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/icehockey-men/d1 . Other teams that got votes include Cornell, Michigan Tech, Army, Clarkson, Providence, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

Wow... first post here in 2017 for this thread. Anyhow, if you have CBS Sports Network, they'll be showing Colorado College at #1 Minnesota-Duluth tonight.

Here are some other games slated for tonight (I believe):
* #6 Massachusetts-Lowell at New Hampshire
* Michigan Tech at #12 Notre Dame (NBCSN)
* #17 Bemidji State at Bowling Green State
* Michigan State at Wisconsin
* Arizona State at #3 Denver

I do watch some college hockey apart from NHL hockey. So I'm sure these boys will all put on a great show for us all.

RECENTLY WRAPPED UP...

Did you know Arizona State has a hockey team? Well, you do now. They won 3-2 at #10 Ohio State in a 3-round shootout. BIG time win against a B1G Ten school. Arizona State hit a late goal to tie the game at 2-2. They went on to hold off the Ohio State Buckeyes in Overtime. They scored the only made shot in the Shootout. In the end, Ohio State fans saw their team get taken down by Arizona State. Big win for the Sun Devils.

Earlier this week, #1 Denver lost at Western Michigan 3-0 last night. The Pioneers will try to get some revenge later today when the WMU Broncos and Denver Pioneers clash again.

So do you want some college hockey? CBS Sports Network will be showing these two games tonight:

* Western Michigan at Miami University
* #18 Nebraska-Omaha at #3 Denver

Hope you college hockey fans get to enjoy tonight's action!

A few games went final tonight.

* NBCSN shown #12 Vermont at #16(?) Notre Dame. Vermont was up by about 4-2 for a good bit of the game before Notre Dame scored two unanswerered goals to force Overtime. The game ended in a 4-4 tie in South Bend, IN.

* St. Cloud State went to #13(?) North Dakota and upset the North Dakota Fighting Hawks 3-1.

* Omaha and #1 Minnesota-Duluth played to a 1-1 tie in Duluth, MN.

* Providence played at home against (I think) Maine tonight and won 3-2.

Congratulations to all winners from Friday night's games.

Here are the brackets for the NCAA Division 1 Men's Hockey tournament. Winners play in Chicago for the Frozen Four. Here's the brackets announced a few days ago:

--- REGION A ---
* #1 Denver vs. Michigan Tech
* Penn State vs. Union (of NY)

--- REGION B ---
* #4 Minnesota vs. Notre Dame
* Cornell vs. Massachusetts-Lowell

--- REGION C ---
* Harvard vs. Providence
* Air Force vs. Western Michigan

--- REGION D ---
* Minnesota-Duluth vs. Ohio State
* North Dakota vs. Boston University

Good luck to all in their quest to play in Chicago for the Frozen Four and the National Championship.

I often make college sports threads to incorporate more than just the NCAA. So if you're willing to chat about Canadian collegiate hockey, then go right ahead.

The tournament is currently underway. Among one of the games that just went final, Harvard knocked out Providence with a 3-0 victory. Boston University and North Dakota just entered Double Overtime, tied at 3 as of this post.

Go enjoy some college hockey if you're a fan!

Tonight on ESPN at about 8:00 PM EDT is the Frozen Four finale. We got Minnesota-Duluth going against Denver for the National Championship. Both teams are pretty solid. Should you check this game out, enjoy the action!

Back