Color banding in GT5

  • Thread starter Thread starter carlosy
  • 19 comments
  • 3,068 views
Messages
515
Did anyone experience it as well? I have seen it especially on the AMG school with cloudy weather. Take a look the picture. It is shot during replay with the photomode. I doubt that it is only my screen. It looks even more weird in motion because the color bands move across the sky. Not nice.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 
i think it's the different layers of fog
 
same here.it's terrible. they used lower bits images ti speed up.
 
That must be your tv set. Mine is fine.
 
Dude come on, it's shooting a pretty decent shot in a video game about racing, not photography. Cameras in real life have far worse color banding. Clean it up in photoshop.
 
My Sharp LCD tv will take any opportunity it can get to show colour banding or pixelated colour blocks, seeing this even on all the Blu-ray films i have watched too. I hate this kind of effect it's as if high definition is being shown in 256 colours.
It's not just my tv though, i took a blu-ray film into a retail store and asked to try it on one of their display tv's and it did the exact same thing, blocks of colour that make it look like a cartoon.
What's going on?
 
It's not your television because it's quite visible on my screen which is an internally calibrated NEC 3090 Spectraview monitor (about as accurate as it gets without dumping an armored car full of cash on an Eizo).

The banding is caused by dithering of the lower bits which means they are only generating five or six bits of color per channel. Generally we can't see the dithering until there are are only five bits per channel but on some systems other errors compound with this one and make six bit dithering visible. If they were generating eight bits per channel you shouldn't be able to see it, I deal with color management professionally and I can't.

The reasons for doing this are basically performance related, so what it comes down to is they are taking shortcuts in the rendering to improve the frame-rate. Obviously the trade-off is to annoy the same amount of people with low frame-rates as with color banding, and I'm guessing they're somewhere around where they should be. Of course they could generate perfect images but then the trolls would be storming PD with their torches because the frame-rate would be unacceptable.
 
blu rays are only 8 bit per channel.

Blu-Ray video is H.264 which YUV 4:2:2 subsampled. RGB video or true 8 bit per channel non-subsampled is 4:4:4. What this means is that the Chroma information is sampled at a lower bandwidth than the Luma so in places you will see the same kind of banding problems that are visible in the picture above.

The motivation for doing this on Blu-Ray is compression ratio, rather than performance but the end effect is the same.
 
That must be your tv set. Mine is fine.

I am not an expert, but I would assume that it can't be only my tft. Because if, the banding shouldn't be visible on the photomode picture. The photomode is an internal GT5 process and has nothing to do on what screen the PS3 is connected to, imho.
 
Blu-Ray video is H.264 which YUV 4:2:2 subsampled. RGB video or true 8 bit per channel non-subsampled is 4:4:4. What this means is that the Chroma information is sampled at a lower bandwidth than the Luma so in places you will see the same kind of banding problems that are visible in the picture above.

The motivation for doing this on Blu-Ray is compression ratio, rather than performance but the end effect is the same.

So this shows that Blu-ray films are compressed too much and 50gb is too small a size to hold a 1080p feature film?
Bad news for current Blu-ray systems, but good news for future formats that are better and that they wont need a new generation TV to display the proper 1080p non compressed films...
My TV is fine then i hope.
 
This is minor, hardly worth mentioning! 👍
 
Did anyone experience it as well? I have seen it especially on the AMG school with cloudy weather. Take a look the picture. It is shot during replay with the photomode. I doubt that it is only my screen. It looks even more weird in motion because the color bands move across the sky. Not nice.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I do see the color bands to. I don't know about you, but it looks more like rain showers to me. If not, you may have had some custom settings in photomode for the photo to turn out like this.
 
Only happens on tracks with weather/time of day since the colour/tone of the sky is rendered on the fly rather than loaded as a skybox.
 
I do see the color bands to. I don't know about you, but it looks more like rain showers to me. If not, you may have had some custom settings in photomode for the photo to turn out like this.

No custom settings. This is unedited. Ingame it looks the same.
 
No custom settings. This is unedited. Ingame it looks the same.

Well then, it must be fog, rain showers, or what ever else PD has in GT5 for weather at Nurburgring.
 
I found this to be kind of bad on the SSRoute 7 Night/Rain course.
 
It's just the low quality lighting effect they use for dynamic skies. Another graphical shortcut to keep performance up.
 
Back