Coming Back: A GT4 Story by TheStig13: Chapter 6 added 28th of August

• Thread starter Stiggy
  • 24 comments
Australia
New South Wales
thestig-13
StiggyGTP
Chapter 1: The Crash
“And here comes the Charger 440 R/T into turn 1. An immaculate car in every way, with a Mopar performance pack, upgraded suspension and it is Go Mango in colour… looks like he’s turned in to the corner too early. He should watch out for that mound, though, as we’ve seen many cars launch off it.”

img0432tv.jpg

“Too late now, Jim, he’s already started to roll. That car is completely destroyed, I hope he’s okay….”
As I lay on the roof of my upside down Dodge Charger, which has been completely written off, I think of how lucky I’ve been to have such a great car. I still remember the day I bought it. It was a clear summer’s day in June ’92, a week after I arrived in the U.S. when I was browsing through a classifieds section in a car magazine. The owner was a mad keen Mopar fan and was selling to buy the new Dodge Viper R/T10, one of the first true Dodge muscle cars in years. I had watched the Dukes Of Hazzard on TV back home in Australia and always dreamed of an orange Charger, and this one was perfect. Over the years, I had raced at many historic events, including the prestigious Monterrey historic races at Laguna Seca.
Just then, I lost my train of thought when I overheard the paramedics saying that I would probably never race again due to my injury…

Chapter 2: Coming Back
Two years later, I considered myself fit enough to race again. I only had $14,250 left as most of the money from insurance went towards hospital bills. I remembered that there was a used car dealership that mainly sold muscle cars only two suburbs away, so I went to check that out. I was in for a surprise when I got there, though.
The dealership had been taken over by a businessman who didn’t have a passion for classic muscle cars, and what he sold really showed that.
The cars on the lot were:
1998 Daihatsu Sirion CX 4WD: Cheap, economical city runabout, four wheel drive, priced to sell at $4,990

img0435jm.jpg

1986 Toyota MR2 G Limited: Classic mid engined sports car on a budget. $7,349 drive away.

img0439c.jpg

1994 Subaru Impreza WRX STI: Rally bred four wheel drive performance car with upgraded turbo and exhaust. A steal at just $9,990

img0436k.jpg

1998 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK: Four wheel drive, one owner, 276hp engine, a bargain at $12,949

img0440l.jpg

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28: V8 power, new rims, genuine American Muscle, first to see will buy at only $15,671.

img0438j.jpg

I obviously wanted to buy the Camaro, as it was the only muscle car on the lot. I haggled the price down to $14,750 but the salesman would not let the car go for any less. In the end I decided on the Legacy as it had the same engine as the WRX but would be in much better condition. On the way home, I stopped at my local garage to change the oil and remove the back seats of the car. I also went for a few laps at the Apricot Hill raceway to get a feel for the car. Fastest lap was a 1’40.305.

Last edited:
I like the way this is going TheStig13. Let's hope he get's back into an american muscle sometime soon. Possibly a Mercury Cougar...*wink* *wink* Can't wait to see this story unfold. Cheers Cougar23

Just a bit of a fill-in of what happens between chapter 2 & 3

Chapter 2.5: Entering the First Race
When I came back to the pits, I noticed a poster on the wall with details for a race next week. Prizemoney is $6000 for first, $4000 for second and $2000 for third. I went to the track office to signup when the lady behind the desk said “You will be very lucky if you are able to get in this race, as the nominations are closing in a minute”. I rush to get the entry filled in, not caring about the legibility of my handwriting. Besides, it doesn’t really matter if the commentator announces my name wrong, does it? I hand in the form and get a copy of a list of competitors. Unfortunately for me and my Subaru, the other competitors are driving cars such as a Mazda RX8, a Subaru Impreza WRX STI and a Mazda RX7 Bathurst R. What I’m most worried about are two fellow Muscle Car Club members seeing me racing a ‘ricer’. They are Ron (driving a Shelby Mustang GT350) and Jim, who is a commentator at historic race events (driving a Holden Monaro).

Last edited:
A great beginning, although I guess I'm showing my age a little when I say that I can't look at that first picture seriously without picturing Roscoe P. Coltrane in "hot pursuit" in a Mopar relic and having a little "Cotton Pickin'" Banjo music going on in the background.
Bo & Luke would've done at least 3 corkscrew turns, then landed that on it's wheels however bad the takeoff though, so nice to see a little realism injected with the crash landing! 👍

A great beginning, although I guess I'm showing my age a little when I say that I can't look at that first picture seriously without picturing Roscoe P. Coltrane in "hot pursuit" in a Mopar relic and having a little "Cotton Pickin'" Banjo music going on in the background.
Bo & Luke would've done at least 3 corkscrew turns, then landed that on it's wheels however bad the takeoff though, so nice to see a little realism injected with the crash landing! 👍

You're not the only one so don't feel too old.

Or maybe you should... I listen to, watch, and care about things people a generation or two ago did.​

Last edited:
Whatever happened to the story? Did you give up on it?

Chapter 3: Return To Racing
A week later I arrive at the Apricot Hill Circuit in the Subaru and attempt to park it away from the Muscle Car club and the ricers in the pits. It was too late. Both the ricers and the Muscle Car club members had noticed me. Ron had came over to my car and said to me “Why are you driving that ricey piece of junk?” Meanwhile, I could hear the ricers making smart comments such as “Why did you bring your Granny’s car to the race? You might as well go home now.” I wanted to prove them wrong.

A few minutes later the announcer called us up to the start line. I was to start last in the race as the grid was sorted by the order of entry. My main rivals were Jim (starting 3rd), Ron (starting 5th) and one of the ricers in a tuned Subaru Impreza WRX STI, Jason (starting 2nd).

img0441v.jpg

As the race started, I could almost hear the course announcer screaming “GO! GO! GO!” in his best Murray Walker voice.

img0443k.jpg

I got a great start and by the first corner was challenging Ron and Jim for the 4th and 5th places.

img0444d.jpg

By the second corner I had caught and passed the 3rd placed RX7

img0445b.jpg

Jim had also passed the RX7 and we now set off in pursuit of a blue Mazda RX8

img0450d.jpg

Jason in his WRX had opened up a sizeable lead until he spun at the first corner on the second lap.

img0449a.jpg

I tried hard to catch the blue RX8, even cutting the track once but it was to no avail. I finished 2nd behind the RX8.

img0452bx.jpg

As I pulled back into the pits, I noticed a familiar face. It was Kamui Nakamura, better known as one of Subaru Japan’s best rally drivers until a career-ending smash at Rally Japan seven years ago. He requested that I open the bonnet of the Legacy. At first I assumed that he was a guest scrutineer for the event. He wasn’t.

Nakamura-san was there to look for drivers for one of the most prestigious events for up and coming drivers anywhere in the world, the famous “Stars of Pleiades” race at Tsukuba in Japan. The only condition to entering the race was that you had to race a Subaru. The prizes were good too, $30,000 for the winner and a test in the Cusco Subaru SuperGT car. “I was actually here to watch that Jason in the Impreza, but he was not good enough. However, I think you have the skills to participate in this race. All you need to do is sign this form.” Nakamura-san told me. It only took me two seconds to decide and I quickly filled in the form.
“See you in Japan.” Nakamura-san replied as he walked off.

Last edited:
Chapter 4: Off to Japan
Two weeks had passed since I had been invited to Japan by Nakamura-san. I was sitting in the airport waiting to board the plane, holding a bag full of motoring magazines that I had purchased from the airport newsagent. I took out an issue of Road and Track and began to read an article titled “Rookies off to face off against Japan’s finest”. I glanced down at the picture and saw myself in the Legacy battling against Jason in his Impreza.

“Flight 889 to Tokyo boarding now”.

I chucked the magazine back into the bag and boarded the plane.

18 Hours Later:

The plane landed safely in Tokyo International Airport. I was told to meet Nakamura-san at gate 38. The only problem with this was that I didn’t understand Japanese very well (I had taken classes in school, but I forgot most of what I learnt). I remembered a song about Japanese numbers and suddenly realised gate 38 was san-jiu-hachi. He had booked a taxi to get me to the motel where I was staying. The only problem was that this was a capsule hotel. In my infinite wisdom, I had asked Nakamura-san to book the cheapest hotel he could. I had obviously forgotten about capsule hotels and paid the price – not being able to get to sleep as the person in the next capsule was watching their TV (which they had to pay 1000 yen to watch) until 2am.

Next morning I woke up, shuffled out of the capsule and headed out to the Tsukuba circuit. It may only be short, but it is still one of Japan’s most challenging tracks. It is also Best Motoring’s test track.

I arrived at the circuit and found the Legacy parked in pit bay number 6. Unfortunately for me the pit bay number determined the grid positions. Jason’s white WRX STI was in pit bay 2. In pit bay 1 was a local driver, Takuma Ichikawa, in a 2004 model WRX STi Spec C. His suspension was tuned just for this track, where as my Legacy still had the same suspension that it had when it first left Japan. He also had a boost controller for the turbo and I overheard him say that he was going to run maximum boost for the five lap race. Then an announcement came over the PA system saying that there was only five minutes till the race.

Much to my dismay it was a rolling start, which meant I would start further behind the leaders than I thought I would.

img1161q.jpg

Into the fourth corner I got up the inside of a brand new Legacy B4. The crowd were rendered two dimensional with excitement!

img1162pr.jpg

Legacy B4 driver: “I knew I should have upgraded the suspension and fitted some lighter rims”

I then ran off the track but got back on in time to keep 5th.

img1163b.jpg

On the second lap I passed the black WRX Coupe.

img1165.jpg

WRX driver: What! I don’t believe I got passed by my grandma’s car!

The first corner was becoming the top spot for passing. I used up all of the ripple strip as I passed a Legacy wagon (!). The driver obviously watched Volvo’s efforts with the 850 wagon in the BTCC.

img1167pau.jpg

Remember how I told you that Ichikawa was going to wind up the turbo boost? Well, he did and he paid the price – pulling into the pits at the end of lap 3 with a blown turbo. This now meant I was in second – behind Jason.

img1168e.jpg

On the last lap I was closing rapidly on Jason and was hoping to put pressure on him in the last turn. As I learnt back at Apricot Hill, Jason’s weakness was long, sweeping corners. And that’s exactly what the last turn at Tsukuba is. However, he stayed in control of his car and went on to win.

img1169k.jpg

img1170p.jpg

Surprisingly on the podium Jason wasn’t his usual cocky self and he congratulated me for my second place. Perhaps he had learnt some manners since the last race.

I was quite pleased with second. $15,000 and a 5,000,000 yen voucher for an automotive tuning shop called GT Auto. Nakamura-san came up and handed me a piece of paper. It was a reservation for a five star hotel. Thank goodness I didn’t have to go back to that awful capsule I stayed in last night.

The black Impreza Coupé looks so tiny next to the Legacy! I hope the main character can win some races: it looks like it's 0 wins from 3 races.

Personally, I'd prefer to see some dialogue between the characters.

The black Impreza Coupé looks so tiny next to the Legacy! I hope the main character can win some races: it looks like it's 0 wins from 3 races.

Personally, I'd prefer to see some dialogue between the characters.

I think that the lack of wins so far shows that no one can win every race they enter, which adds a shot of realism. I'd say keep this story going Stig!

Chapter 5: Second Sucks

I was flicking through a car magazine when I noticed an advertisement for races at Suzuka. Suzuka was one of the tracks that I really wanted to race at while in Japan.

A few hours later...

I arrive at the entrance of the Suzuka Circuit behind a Chevelle and a Charger Super Bee. I pay the entrance fee of 500 yen and park next to the two muscle cars. I get out of the car and talk to the drivers.

Me – “Nice cars”.
Charger driver – “Thanks”
- “Are you racing today?”
Chevelle driver – “Yes, and were hoping to those Skyline drivers who’s boss”
- “That is good to hear”
Charger driver – “But you drive a Legacy? You should be the type of person who loves Skylines”
- “ I used to have a 1970 Charger, but I rolled it at Sears Point a few years ago”
Charger driver – “So you are the person who rolled at Sears Point. You are very lucky to still be alive.”
- “I know. Where did you find out about this?”
Charger driver – “It was in the Mopar Muscle Monthly magazine that I import from America”
Chevelle driver - “Was the accident caused by a typical Dodge part failure?”
- “No, it was driver error. I went too far on the inside of a corner and hit the bump that sent me flying”
Charger driver – “I should mention that we are members of the Japanese Imported Car Club and that we will be at Fuji tomorrow”
- “Do you know someone who wants to sell a muscle car”
Chevelle driver – “One member is looking to sell a green Mercury Cougar. He is taking it to Fuji tomorrow if you want to look at it”.
- “Thanks for that, I will see you on the track”
With that I got back in the Legacy and drove to the grid.

On the front row were an Impreza WRX STI and an R33 Skyline. The Charger and Chevelle were on row two while I lined up next to an Evo 6.
img1655j.jpg

In the first corner I slid under the Evo 6 for 5th.
img1656iq.jpg

The Charger ran wide on the exit of the corner and I snatched 4th place.
img1657m.jpg

The Chevelle managed to pass the R33 at the hairpin
img1658p.jpg

Chevelle driver – “You just got fried, ricer”

I went up the inside of the R33 at Spoon Curve. I could see the Charger sliding wildly in my mirrors.
img1659g.jpg

Understeer is not something you want when entering 130R at around 200km/h. That is exactly what I had. Miraculously I only lost one spot to the R33, which I regained at the Casio Triangle.
img1661l.jpg

The big ol’ Chevelle ran wide on the exit of turn 2. I had to take evasive action to ensure that I didn’t hit two tonnes of American steel.
img1662g.jpg

This meant I only had to catch the Impreza to win the race.
img1663p.jpg

Unfortunately for me, a last ditch effort at the Casio Triangle didn’t pay off and I was travelling through Suzuka’s equivalent of the Sahara Desert.
img1666ni.jpg

Second, again.
img1667w.jpg

I went and congratulated the winner of the race. He was obviously surprised at this, for a reason that I didn’t yet know;

Impreza driver – “I thought you would be really angry about coming second.”
- “Why’s that?”
Impreza driver – “I noticed a ‘Second Sucks’ sticker on your rear window when I was looking at the cars that I would be racing against”.

As soon as he said this, I knew exactly who put the sticker there...

No wonder Jason wasn’t as cocky as usual on the podium at Tsukuba...

Chapter 6: Not a scenic drive.

The morning after the race at Suzuka, Nakamura-san suggested that I should get my mind off racing for a while and go for a scenic drive. He handed me a brochure with the top ten tourist destinations in Japan. I decided to go to Mount Fuji, and you will see why in a few moments.

Nakamura-san - “Ah, Mount Fuji. It is lovely at this time of year. Are you going to climb it?”

Me – “I might climb it if the weather is ok”

With that I set off on my way to Mount Fuji Speedway for some sightseeing racing.

As promised the car club members were there so I decided to park near them. I managed to spot the green Mercury Cougar XR7 in the car park. It looked like a tidy, well maintained car. However before I got the chance to go and look at it I was called to the starting grid.

To my surprise there was a FPV F6 Typhoon and a Jensen Interceptor on the grid. I’m guessing the Jensen driver wanted to show the WRX and Evo drivers the original four wheel drive sports car.
img1668hb.jpg

I got off to a bad start after being cut off by a white Impreza.
img1669a.jpg

However I braked last for the hairpin and managed to jump up into third behind the FPV.
img1671m.jpg

Later in the lap I got past the FPV.
img1672h.jpg

That meant there was only one car left to chase, the Skyline R32 GTR. It had pulled out a good lead, but I was steadily catching it and in the final few corners took the lead. The unexplainably large crowd for this minor event cheered with excitement.
img1673so.jpg

And across the line...
img1674p.jpg

Finally, a race win. But the best is yet to come...

I decided to go and have a test drive of the Cougar and I wasn’t disappointed. It was a very clean car despite having over 40,000 miles on the odometer. As well as this, it was selling for only $18,000, the reason being that there isn’t much of a market for 1960’s muscle cars in Japan. I hand over $18,000 to the seller and I went for a few laps of the Fuji circuit. The previous owner agreed to keep the car in storage until I wanted to ship it to the USA.

I got a surprise when I arrived in the pits and saw a photographer who wanted to use the Cougar for a photoshoot. He gave me these pictures.
img1752y.jpg

img1754g.jpg

img1755l.jpg

When I got back to the hotel that night I managed to surprise Nakamura-san when I showed him the trophy.

Nakamura-san – “I thought you were going to Mount Fuji to do some sightseeing and take a break from racing”

Me – “Did you really expect me to go to Mount Fuji to sightsee and not have a race at the Fuji Speedway while I was there? I even took a picture to prove that I was sightseeing as well as racing.”
img1678lv.jpg

LOL. Some racers never listen to their elders...
Good story anyway.
Keep it coming.

Back