Coming back after an 8 month hiatus, need help

• Thread starter Boedefeld
  • 10 comments

Boedefeld

(Banned)
Germany
Germany
MojoMoley
Hey guys, I finally have time and the mental capacity to start racing again and I’m wondering what has changed in the last 8 months. What are the new meta cars (or are the old ones still the go-to's), what changes were made to the penalty system, any changes to daily/weekly races etc. etc.

And I have to say I really missed this forum and spending hours every day reading new threads, testing out new cars, waiting for BOP changes and so on.

Welcome back :gtpflag:

Were you familiar with penalty zones? Basically penalties are now served in zones marked by a yellow marker, and the game will apply the brakes for you (and ghosts your car) until the penalty is served. This was part of FIA races possibly 8 months ago but has since been implemented into daily races. Feedback around here is mixed on this. I think it's a positive as it's stopped everyone scrubbing their penalties just before the finish line and does force penalties to be served shortly after they are given. However it does create situations where a number of cars are all unghosting at the same time on the same bit of track.

The penalty system is a whole is still what it is. It will sometimes get things right and sometimes will punish the wrong person. Some people 'game' the system to make sure they don't get penalties and/or give other people penalties but that will probably always be the case.

Good luck with getting back into racing 👍

Thanks for the quick response!

I’ve heard of the penalty zones but didn’t know they had been implemented into the daily races since. I haven’t had a race with them yet so I can’t comment.

And thanks, I’m so happy to be back with this game!

There have been a couple physics updates, the most recent one being the most significant imo. Get ready for lots of on-throttle understeer coming out of corners and additional oversteer as a result of feathering the brake when trail-braking. It doesn't seem to have affected overall pace very much, but it's definitely something that you'll need to adjust to. Personally, I no longer use or need rear brake bias in FR cars like I used to, as the rotation under braking seems overemphasized.

There have been a couple physics updates, the most recent one being the most significant imo. Get ready for lots of on-throttle understeer coming out of corners and additional oversteer as a result of feathering the brake when trail-braking. It doesn't seem to have affected overall pace very much, but it's definitely something that you'll need to adjust to. Personally, I no longer use or need rear brake bias in FR cars like I used to, as the rotation under braking seems overemphasized.
So would this suggest that MR cars are now much easier to drive? I hope the Lexus '17 hasn’t suffered from these changes as I fell in love hard with that car before my long hiatus

So would this suggest that MR cars are now much easier to drive? I hope the Lexus '17 hasn’t suffered from these changes as I fell in love hard with that car before my long hiatus

I've never been very good at MR cars so I avoid most of them and typically try to find an FR alternative, so I'm not sure, but it's worth a try. I just test drove the Gr.3 '17 Lexus the other day for Nations and it still drives like a dream on mediums. I've always found that it's a little tough to handle on hards, but mediums and above make it feel fantastic. Now that I think about it, the understeer didn't seem as dramatic in the Lexus and neither did the rotation under braking, it just didn't have the same pace as the M6 at DT Gardens so I didn't stick with it. I did have BB at 0 though, and I used to prefer it at +2 or even +3.

First off, Welcome back man! :cheers:

I can definitely say that MR cars are easier to drive now, at least going back as far as last October when I got the game. I used to avoid them like @Winnie847 but I’ve slowly been gravitating towards them over the past few months/updates, they definitely have gotten better/easier to drive as the updates have gone on. Most of them now have much less lift off oversteer than they used to. :)

There also a heck of a lot more grip now then there was when I first started playing the game, it felt like all races were held on ice tracks back then. :)

I am also returning to GTS after an all too long layoff. I recently fired up the game and found I had a throttle spiking problem with my G29. After several failed attempts at fixing the problem I decided to step up to a CSL Elite which will be arriving tomorrow. Thanks @Boedefeld for starting the thread and everyone that responded as I was also curious about the changes. Hope to y'alll on the track once I find a setup for the wheel ( :boggled: more involved than the G29) and get used to it.

Seems the rain is arriving soon, if rumours are true. Soon pulled me back after a long break and many content updates. So far, no real troubles readjusting.

To be fair, winning is easier now than ever too, but that's all thanks to Sven for his info over the hiatus. (Or many better racers are moving on). Just gotta learn the new penalty adjustments and you'll be playing Jezzball very soon.

There also a heck of a lot more grip now then there was when I first started playing the game, it felt like all races were held on ice tracks back then. :)
I like the change, but a lot of guys hate the new grip and physics :lol:

but that's all thanks to Sven for his info over the hiatus.
What is this info your talking about if I may ask?

I like the change, but a lot of guys hate the new grip and physics :lol:

What is this info your talking about if I may ask?
I was just being cynical dude. Sven is a regular contributer to the issues with the penalty system. The downside to a player highlighting as much as he does can attract as much as deter is all.

Not to undermine much of what he says as he's clearly trying to highlight much to see the fair gaming improve and I/many only want that all round.

I'm just past the point of hoping for PD to further address it all, so I take cheeky jabs at it. I shouldn't I know. Apologies for that.

Latest Posts

Back