Coming Back to Drifting

England
West Yorkshire
ScottNX
Basically...

I used to have a 180 degrees wheel (Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience) and I used to be able to drift excellently with it. I could drift perfectly with that wheel after a lot of practice. It didn't have any full FFB though...

I've just bought a DFGT and I wanted to get into drifting again. Seen as if my previous wheel was not 900 degrees and didn't have FFB, I'm a little stuck now. All my skills have diminished!

So, the question is... How can a previous super-drifter come back and use a 900 degree wheel? D:

Are there any cars that you guys recommend for learning with a DFGT?

Thanks in advance,
ScottN

Just use your old drift cars, and tweak them to make you feel better. Or, use the sticky thread for wheel tunes and find a balanced car, not so much a pro car just, balanced. Something along the lines of a S13, AE86 etc. easy cars to learn to drift on. Then work your way up.

I'm in a drift room at the moment and I'm sucking so much! :D

It's really nice to start from scratch with something though. :)

Use your same cars, just watch your steering and throttle inputs. You have to turn the wheel a lot more now but is more prone to over or under steer, you need to find your sweet spots, shouldn't take you too long to re-learn.

Good luck!

I've been trying to figure out some little tweaks for my cars. I picked up a nice AE86 tune and have been trying around Tskuba! :)

stock Shelby Cobra, Stock Mustang. Buy em', put on drivetrain parts and start slowly upgrading the suspension ie: tweak your settings more and more every time you get accustom to that tune.

High speed ring has 2 big turns which will be great to practice your steering control. Then after you get that down add more power and practice throttle control.

I went from a wheel that was 270° (logitech momo wheel) to a g27. I can drift again, but no where near as well as before. The biggest reason its the distance is so much further to turn the wheel that the corrections that are so fast and small on a controller or 270 wheel takes far more effort. Because of this, you have to be more precise with throttle, brake and steering input. That topped with the latesttweaks pd did to the physics and it makes for a frustrating session. Keep at it though. And maybe tryslowing down a bit, might help.

I've got a little better now. I have been able to kick out a few drifts here and there now without spinning. The main problem now is the distance to travel on the wheel when straightening out and counter-steering.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the tips!

Back