Commuting Thread

• Thread starter mazda787
  • 4 comments
United States
Virginia
bab2390
A topic that interested me recently is that of commuting. I searched and did not find a thread for it, so I decided to make one for everyone to share anything about their commutes (including interesting incidents involving other drivers/commuters perhaps). I have switched from driving my car to work to using mass transit and walking (to/from the station to my home/office), and even though door-to-door it still takes about the same time (walking is half of it), it is so much less stressful than driving through rush hour traffic, constantly on the lookout for impatient drivers, etc, not to mention the reduced wear and tear on my car. As a side note, I have become increasingly appreciative of "work from home" being listed as a benefit/perk in a job description.

Bump.

Here where I live, it takes local commuters around three different transportation modes on average just to reach their desired destination.

Of course, this depends on the distance and the availability of whatever they can ride on like taxis, motorcycle taxis, buses, minibuses and trains in certain locations.

Because of this big inconvenience, citizens prefer to learn how to drive and buy cars. As a result, the metropolis is clogged with one of the worst traffic you can find worldwide.

I used to take a light rail into the city from where I live. I'd drive about 3 miles, park at a station, and ride the train in, then walk 3 blocks to work. All of this took about an hour. Now I just pay $90 a month for a parking pass and it takes me 20 minutes to drive to the office, I park in a garage, and I never have to walk outside. Also, I don't have to deal with meth addicts, homeless people, and someone trying to convert me, so that's a plus.

Having done both ways for an extended period of time, it's not hard to see why public transportation gets a stigma attached to it. It's slow, inefficient, and the number of people on it that you don't want to associate with is way too high. Also about once or twice a month some idiot would go around the gates and get hit by a train too. If you were unlucky enough to be on that train, then you'd get stuck on the tracks waiting for god knows how long while the police figured everything out. Oh, and it'd occasionally explode too:

I think I'll just stick to driving.

I ride a bicycle to school. Have done on and off for many years. When I haven't ridden the bicycle I've ridden the motorcycle. It takes me 10 minutes by bike from where I currently live, but in the past (in China) my cycle commutes have been closer to an hour and then everywhere in between those times depending on where I'd lived in relation to school at that time.
There is absolutely no point driving my car on the commute at all. My house is about 3km from school.

In the last 3 months I've been having the worse commuting experience I've had in my life.

I need to catch 1 bus to the train station, then a train to the next train station, then another train, and finally a bus.

It's around 90min each way, which makes for a really boring and time consuming experience.

Wanna find a new flat next year but here in Hamburg it's chaos. Too much people for too few houses available for rent.

Next year might buy a cheap car or motorcycle to get around the city tough. Let's see how it all pans out.

Back