Compressing Files? WinZip?

The situation: I have LEGALLY downloaded MP3s on my downstairs computer, let's call it Comp A. It's a Windows 98, NOT Second Edition - thus there are no CD burners that support the first Win98. The external burner I did buy (some Hewlett-Packard 4x piece of crap from 1999) has officially committed suicide. Let's just pretend I never bought it. I have a second computer upstairs, let's call it Comp B. This a Win2000 Pro. It has a CD burner. But it does not have the MP3s, and I want to keep it this way. It's used strictly for business purposes, it's basically a virgin to the internet in general (spyware, viruses, blah blah). Anyway, assume that I CANNOT download the MP3s from my LEGAL P2P service. (Oops, did I just use legal as an adjective for P2P? :sly: )

My Question: How do I get the MP3s from Comp A to Comp B? Or, in more acceptable use of terms, how do I access ANY files on COMP A from COMP B, or vice versa?

What I tried so far: I have a Gmail account and emailed the files to myself, downloading them from the email. But that only got me as far as the "less than 10 KB" MP3s, as the limit per file per email is 10 KB. So, I tried compressing it with WinZip. WinZip compressed a 21.2KB MP3 file all the way down to a 21.1KB. Big freakin' wow. I guess the MP3 is copressed enough to start with.

Additional factors: Both computers are currently linked via a network router, solely for the use of a cable modem internet connection. I really don't know how to set up a network so that I can share files between the two computers.

I tried setting up the network, but had no clue what I was doing :dunce: . Maybe this might be the answer? :confused:

The best solution would be transferring the files via a network since you already have the two machines linked via a router. I'm unsure of how to network a windows 98 machine with a Windows 2000 Pro machine though.

You don’t have any sort of backup HD? You might want to buy one just for the sake of having a backup disk, then you can use it as a transfer device.

If you have a USB Drive like a Lexar JumpDrive or the like, transfer it (if possible) from USB to USB (512-1GB sticks are especially good for transferring).

Sage
You don’t have any sort of backup HD? You might want to buy one just for the sake of having a backup disk, then you can use it as a transfer device.
MachOne
If you have a USB Drive like a Lexar JumpDrive or the like, transfer it (if possible) from USB to USB (512-1GB sticks are especially good for transferring).
I have both of these: A bigass external HD and a Lexar JumpDrive. Problem is, Windows98 is retarded - it doesn't recognize the newer USB memory devices...... in fact, it doesn't recognize much of anything made in the past few years. Everything that is sold now is for Win98SE, and I don't have the "SE" version. I wish Microsoft could just send me an update for the sole purpose of compatability. Win98SE software is worth, what, maybe $0.01 on ebay??

What I have attempted to do is try to install Win2000 on Comp A. I reformatted the drive and started from scratch. However, the lackluster performance of my Comp A (a 7 year old Compaq Presario) proved to be a vital problem - it don't work.

Shannon
You could also just take the harddrive out of Comp A and connect it to Comp B, then simply copy the files across.

This would be a bit cumbersome, taking it out and all.

DocMarteni
I wish Microsoft could just send me an update for the sole purpose of compatability. Win98SE software is worth, what, maybe $0.01 on ebay??
They would but, well, they stopped support for Win 98 aaages ago.

This would be a bit cumbersome, taking it out and all.
Unless you can set up a network between the two, I don't think you have much choice. :P

Back