concerning slamming a drift car...

United States
United States
I am interested on making one of my drift cars into looking like it is slammed (stanced, whatever you want to label it as).
I realize to achieve the look, I'd have to adjust my camber.
If I were to adjust the camber from my original drift setup (which I enjoy alot) take it slammed, would it affect the set up drastically to a point my original drift set up would be pointless?
I know it's obvious that it would affect my set up due to drastic change on camber to make it slammed, but wasn't quite sure how much it would be detrimental to the original set up, or if there are certain changes I must make to my suspension to maintain similar affect I'd normally get from original drift set up.
Any input would be nice. Thank you

Yes and no. Depending on what your 'drifting style' is, it could either mess up your whole setup and you would find it very hard to drift in your chosen car or it wouldn't make much of a difference.

When I used to drift on CS (#NoobAlert :lol:) I would use as much camber as I wanted, and I was able to drift the way I would now. But I decided to scrap the camber and I still was able to drift.

If I was you I'd write your original setup down and give the stanced camber a go, if it doesn't work you still have your original setup so you can go back from were you started from.

You'll still be able to drift as normal, but it will take a lot of getting used to. :cheers:

Higher camber will reduce straight line grip but increase lateral grip (To a point) so naturally different grip levels at different points is going to effect your cars handling and how you have to drive it.

You'll likely have to alter other parts of your tune for it to work, every element of tuning effects every other element - that's just the way it goes.

I still don't think camber is working properly in GT6 (check the tuning forum for more details), so increasing your camber just reduces grip.

On some cars that have a lot of rear grip, some rear camber can help achieve more wheelspin and angle.

Adding front camber can make the front less responsive, which can be useful if the front of the car has too much bite and is snapping a lot.

It's a shame camber doesn't work like it's supposed to (as @UrieHusky said), because a drift car without much camber looks odd/oldschool to me.

I've seen some people drift cars with lots if camber (talking about rear camber specifically here). They were usually not very smooth, and either slow or had not much angle.

If you really want a form over function style car, you can make up for the lost rear grip due to the rear camber by trying some of the following:

-increasing front ride hight / lower rear ride hight

-soften rear springs

-lower rear damper compression

-lower front damper extension

-lower rear ARB

-lower LSD Accel value

-add ballast to the rear

-increase overall weight

-lower hp & torque

None of those is a magic cure, and all have their trade offs, so experiment with different settings. And don't try doing all those things at the once lol...one at a time.

Personally, I would start with the weight and balance of the car, followed by the power, then the LSD, and last, use the suspension to make finer adjustments to balance and handling.

Save your original tune (cell phone pic works quick). I would suggest having a "function" tune on one setting sheet, and a "form/stance" tune on another sheet. That way, you can switch between the two (no matter how much tuning you do, no car with hella camber will perform the same as a car with reasonable camber).

I am interested on making one of my drift cars into looking like it is slammed (stanced, whatever you want to label it as).

There is no "whatever you want to label it as," as it's two different things.

Slammed is just that, slammed. Lowering a vehicle until it can push a cigarette pack.

Stanced is the way a car stands on it's wheels when they are positioned proportionately. It does not have to have camber, aftermarket wheels, or stickers.

Cambered is just that, cambered. The wheels are too wide for the car, so excessive amounts of camber are necessary to fit them.

IMO, unless you mod/know someone who mods there is no point in doing this, as it's the only way to have a "stanced" (by your definition) car. Having all that camber is going to sink your wheels on most cars, which means your car will not be stanced.

As far as driving, fully lower it and drive it. Just have fun

Slammed is just that, slammed. Lowering a vehicle until it can push a cigarette pack.

Stanced is the way a car stands on it's wheels when they are positioned proportionately. It does not have to have camber, aftermarket wheels, or stickers.

Cambered is just that, cambered. The wheels are too wide for the car, so excessive amounts of camber are necessary to fit them.

IMO, unless you mod/know someone who mods there is no point in doing this, as it's the only way to have a "stanced" (by your definition) car. Having all that camber is going to sink your wheels on most cars, which means your car will not be stanced.

I don't know about the
he wheels are too wide for the car, so excessive amounts of camber are necessary to fit them.

Since people like my self, like to use camber to gain lateral grip. Regardless of the wheel width.

I don't know about the

Since people like my self, like to use camber to gain lateral grip. Regardless of the wheel width.
I took it to be in response to the desire for a "stanced" car. People that do that aren't terribly interested in increasing the lateral sheer threshold and simply want to fit an obscenely low-offset wheel with a dangerously stretched tire under the edge of the wheel arch. It's all pretty stupid if you ask me...

Had a new poster a while back on a Miata forum wanting his car to handle amazing with cambered 9s (front) and 10s (rear), and he just wasn't getting that there may be middle ground but you really can't have both at the same time. Hey, at least he was seeking out parts suppliers and technical information rather than simply posting on Facebook: "My Miata is gonna be sick yo! #Hoonigan!"

I apologize for the generalization. What I initially meant was to turn a car like the ones you see in "Hella flush" (or was it Hella dumped? ) videos. And the reason why I asked if there would be any chance of a car turned "Hella flush" (btw, apprently they use the term slammed and stance to describe their hella flush themed vehicle. "... Hellaflush have been recently promoting ‘Slammed Society’ as their brand. The term slammed means dropping the vehicle to the lowest it can go often making it difficult to navigate from point A to point B..." and "... What is “Hellaflush”? What is “Stance”? These two terms have been used and heard around the car scene for the past few years. Hellaflush means the wheels are flush to the vehicle’s fender using the correct offset, camber and height..." ((source: http://ijdmtoy.hubpages.com/hub/JDM-Hellaflush-And-Stance-Car-Culture)) ) could in fact be drivable, as in being able to perform well, specially in drifting and/or racing is because Ive see ppl in lobbies that did well both on drifts and in tracks (mind you, I didnt ask then because I wasn't really into the scene if you wonder why I didnt ask them at the time and initially I thought that they might have been hacking or used mods like you've mentioned). But I appreciate your knowledge of the definition difference between slammed and stance.

P.s. You may not see the point but there are a group of people who devote their time in real life to such vehicles (maybe just for shiw, maybe some focus on the car being flushed and for performance) I too got interested since Ive seen ppl driving them I real life and in-game

Last edited:
There is no way to get the look you want within the confines of the game and the method used to do it cannot be discussed on these forums because it means going against rules implemented by Polyphony and/or Sony. That said, I'm aware of a couple options for getting closer to the desired look based on wheel fitment of a few cars, though I haven't tried and I can't guarantee any kind of success.

NISMO Fairlady Z-Tune - Rear wheels are pushed out farther than the fenders to an extent but the car's overall appearance cannot be changed.
Infiniti G35 Sedan (year unknown) - Front wheels as above but car cannot be lowered excessively and standard "balloon" tires mean +2 aftermarket wheels don't lower the tire profile to what may be considered appealing. Power available isn't substantial and the car is heavy.
Mercedes-Benz 190 road car - Front wheels as above, "appealing" wheel sizing, low power but also low weight. Car can be painted but spoiler cannot be removed.
Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG - Both axles pushed out to a degree to allow for a subtle "fitted" appearance, standard tires are low-profile making +2 nearly hidden, more power than you're likely able to cope with when modified fully. Visual issue in that the rear wheels are pushed too far back in the arches, whether that's a problem is up to you.

Just remember that with one it's hard to have the other and drivability will likely suffer if you have the desired look. Oh and there are groups of people that devote their time to wreaking havoc and cutting off peoples' heads to prove a point--just saying.

City of Arts and Sciences - Night_4.jpg
City of Arts and Sciences - Night_4.jpg
Syracuse - Night.jpg
Gemasolar.jpg

a couple of my creations :)

Attachments

• City of Arts and Sciences - Night_5.jpg
    City of Arts and Sciences - Night_5.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 7
You drift VW's now Dean? :lol:

You complain about graphics then go and mod a standard R32 when there's a premium '32 which looks 100x better... :embarrassed:

I'm done with you m8... :D
Ok no more hybrids for you lolol
And duddy what you liking for you just mad i wont make you hybrids lolol.

Back