So Im back into this series, trying to learn as much as I can. Ive been reading a lot, and everyone is always talking about oversteer, understeer, and weight shift but I cant seem to understand a few minor things. Can someone just help me out with the basics? Il write down my own understanding and please tell me if its correct:
Weight shift when braking: When you brake, your weight shifts to the front of the car, increasing traction on the front wheels, allowing you to turn better while the back wheels would lose some of their grip.... therefore SHOULD HELP YOU OVERSTEER? One tutorial says you should always keep 20% of your braking for while you are turning because it would let you turn faster, but others say that braking puts a load on the front wheel so they would lose traction easier... and then say we should finish braking before turning??! which is correct??
Accelerating : Weight shifts to teh back and you lose traction in the front, ... herego understeering ...
Lift off oversteer: When you lift your foot off the pedal you should oversteer because again, your weight previously in the back comes forward, increasing traction in the front wheel while the back wheels spin out? Wouldn't braking do this better? Why is this so important? I can't seem to do this with any cars :S :S
MR cars: Tend to oversteer when you accelerate because the rear wheel is getting a lot of torque and loses traction quickly? But then why does this not happen with FR cars? Shouldn't the extra wheight at the back increase traction in the MR? or is it that the weight is already at the back that less weight is being transferred there during the acceleration phase? So before we said accelerating = understeer, but with MR its oversteer... so is it that a bit of acceleration will understeer, but too much will make the wheel unstable and then oversteer??? just too confused about this ...
Finally approach to a corner: I tend to brake hard to the speed I can hit an apex on, and then just release everything and just drive in. I don't brake while turning unless I realize im still to fast and understeering. Is that the right technique or should I aim for a slightly quicker speed and brake while turning to do some oversteer? Also I rarely ever slide on turns, is that okay? How do you guys induce the drift? I never really learned that part :S
Weight shift when braking: When you brake, your weight shifts to the front of the car, increasing traction on the front wheels, allowing you to turn better while the back wheels would lose some of their grip.... therefore SHOULD HELP YOU OVERSTEER? One tutorial says you should always keep 20% of your braking for while you are turning because it would let you turn faster, but others say that braking puts a load on the front wheel so they would lose traction easier... and then say we should finish braking before turning??! which is correct??
Accelerating : Weight shifts to teh back and you lose traction in the front, ... herego understeering ...
Lift off oversteer: When you lift your foot off the pedal you should oversteer because again, your weight previously in the back comes forward, increasing traction in the front wheel while the back wheels spin out? Wouldn't braking do this better? Why is this so important? I can't seem to do this with any cars :S :S
MR cars: Tend to oversteer when you accelerate because the rear wheel is getting a lot of torque and loses traction quickly? But then why does this not happen with FR cars? Shouldn't the extra wheight at the back increase traction in the MR? or is it that the weight is already at the back that less weight is being transferred there during the acceleration phase? So before we said accelerating = understeer, but with MR its oversteer... so is it that a bit of acceleration will understeer, but too much will make the wheel unstable and then oversteer??? just too confused about this ...
Finally approach to a corner: I tend to brake hard to the speed I can hit an apex on, and then just release everything and just drive in. I don't brake while turning unless I realize im still to fast and understeering. Is that the right technique or should I aim for a slightly quicker speed and brake while turning to do some oversteer? Also I rarely ever slide on turns, is that okay? How do you guys induce the drift? I never really learned that part :S