Congratulations, 2009 MotoGP Champion Valentino Rossi! (Valencia Spoilers, sorry)

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by niky, Nov 8, 2009.

1. niky

niky Moderator

An action packed weekend at Valencia today...

Of course, before going to the MotoGP race, we need to mention the last race of the 250cc class, which was a cracker. Hiroshi Aoyama survived a rodeo ride through the gravel when Hector Barbera pushed him off-line to keep on track and seal his first and last 250cc championship over reigning champion Marcus Simoncelli.

Simoncelli, on the other hand, pushed hard, grinding his way from 8th to 1st in a tremendous charge to catch Barbera... pushing Aoyama out of the way to take second then trading places with Barbera a few times before finally clinching first. From this position, he could have taken the championship if Aoyama had finished 12th or lower, but no such luck... less than a dozen laps from the finish, he lost the rear end of the bike out of turn one, got it all crossed up, recovered, and then lost the bike completely under braking into turn two.

Aoyama takes the championship, a Japanese driver on a Japanese bike, to the delight of the Japanese fans in Spain... Barbera takes the win and edges Simoncelli out of second place in the championship.

It's a shame that the 250ccs will give way to 600cc prototypes with a set engine supplier. I don't think a virtual one-make race will be as much fun as a multi-manufacturer race.

-

Oh... and Valentino Rossi seals the MotoGP championship. The drama of a race to the line with Casey Stoner was not to be, though... as Casey crashes out on the very first lap.

No, not the first lap of the race. He goes over the high side of his Ducati on the warm-up lap. From the pole. Ouch.

Still... it was an exciting afternoon... well... the 250cc race was... the MotoGP championship was just a walk in the park for Rossi... *yawn*... going from fifth to second, finishing just behind Danny Pedrossa.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. daan

daan Moderator

He won it at the last race in Malaysia.

Which was a good job as putting a spoiler in a thread title is bad, mmkay. :dunce:

3. niky

niky Moderator

As is putting the thread in the wrong section... thanks for moving it for me... (yeah, it took me this long to realize that...) :lol:

4. wfooshee

wfooshee Premium

If your thread title had said anything about Valencia spoilers I could have avoided it and probably would have enjoyed the broadcast more when it comes on a half hour from now here in the states. The 250 in on right now, the MotoGP comes on at 6 PM Eastern.

Not everybody gets it live, dude. :grumpy: Bad form posting results without the SPOILERS tag.

And as Daan said, he won it last race so it was old news. You apparently didin't realize that, so you posted a result in the thread title. Again, really really bad form.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  5. daan

daan Moderator

I can see your point, but if you don't want to know the result, why are you in a thread that may be discussing it?

If I miss an F1 race and I want to watch it later, I won't visit the F1 forum, never mind the race thread.

6. wfooshee

wfooshee Premium

The thread title said NOTHING about Valencia. How was I to know it would be discussing it? Since the championship is old news, and the title only mentioned Rossi, what how was I supposed to know?

7. niky

niky Moderator

Whoops... big... BIG... sorry... I'll edit.

But it was quite an exciting 250cc... anyway...

8. Rusty*

Rusty* Premium

Rossi wins again...:lol:
    That's nothing new.:D
    I hope Casey is alright, high-sides are nasty.:nervous:
    R*

9. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Premium

Great to see Spies snag 7th from Dovizioso, as well as putting in some stellar laps and passes in the latter half of the race, in his first race after winning the 09 WSBK title :) By holding off Dovizioso he mathematically gave 5th place in the Championship to Edwards, his teammate at Tech 3 next year. The other America riders (Edwards and Hayden) also rode fabulous races themselves. Should be interesting to see how well Spies does against Edwards next year, once he gets a bit more riding time on the MotoGP bikes :tup:

10. Dragonistic

Dragonistic

Spies impressed me to, a stellar ride no doubt and showing some real potential for next year. I can't believe Stoner wiping himself out on the warm-up lap! Other then that the only real thing that happened all race was Spies helping out Edwards (although I'm sure thats not what he was thinking about at the time!). That said, I still enjoyed watching it as I always do when I get the chance to catch some Moto GP goodness :).

11. Prince.M5

Prince.M5