Considering new PC for gaming/HTPC, review/feedback appreciated

• Thread starter NLxAROSA
  • 29 comments

NLxAROSA

Dual wielding Uzis FTW!
Premium
Netherlands
The Black Lodge
Hi all, I am looking to replace my current game/HTPC (see sig) with something new. Again, it has to fit in my cupboard, but this time, I'm getting rid of the PS3, so I can fit a decent case in that can house a decent GPU. :cheers:

I'll use it for gaming (BF3, pCars, other games) mostly, but the kids/mrs. will use it to watch videos/play music as well. So far, I assembled the setup below. Anyone care to comment/point out any weirdness?

Case: Silverstone Grandia GD05B
PSU: Silverstone STF60-P
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77M
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570
GPU: XFX HD8750 double dissipation
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX (2x4GB) DDR-1600
HDD1: ADATA ASP900S3-256GM-C 256GB SSD
HDD2: Western Digital Caviar WD10EALX 1TB
Optical drive: LiteOn IHOS104-106

And some small stuff like a 300N WLAN card, mouse/keyboard, Win7 HP license, etc. Should I maybe also add a remote control so the Mrs. doesn't have to use mouse/keyboard to play vids?

The only problem I could see (I'm not even sure), is that the size of your Case might be small to fit the quite big HD7850. You might wanna ask the shop if it fits, other than that it seems a pretty good configuration.
Not even sure if you need 256go SSD, I have a 128 and I think it's good enough, if you have the money tho go for it ^^.
I would take a smaller SSD and take a bigger SATA because 1gb is quite small if you put movie and other stuff in it.

Thanks for the feedback. 👍 I think I'll have the shop assemble it for me, have had great experiences with them in the past and it means they'll deliver a working system, as well as notify me when things don't fit, backorder, etc, so I think I'll be safe there.

As for HD size: right now I have 2TB, out of which approximately 1.5TB sits empty. Note that I will store media like videos, music etc. on a NAS so they're available to every device in the house.

The difference between 256GB and 128GB SSD is approximately 80 euros. Since the grand total we be around 1200-1250 euros, I figured I'd go with the larger one (I suspect 128GB will be filled up very quickly).

If you are planning on doing a lot of gaming I would consider putting the 80 euros towards a more powerfull GPU.

120gb ssd will be fine for Windows and essential programs and your 1tb hard drive gives you plenty of storage.

Or just buy 80 Euros worth of pink LEDs :)

Just a quick one on the 7850.
It's a good card but with Bf3 and pCars it will play them but you wont be able to max them out. Really it depends on what level of eye candy you want.

My recent build (in this forum) started with a 7850. It now has 2 7850's and is much better.

On the ssd 120/128 gb as others have said should be plenty. I have windows, programs, Bf3 and pCars on it and there is still plenty of room left.

Cheers Shaun.

Problems detected:
Case: Case is slim line designed for HTPC use not gaming, mid end to high end cards may not fit this case.
CPU: Good for gaming, overkill for HTPC.
GPU: Will not fit case.
HDD1: you can get away with a 90GB or 120GB SSD, The SSD will just before windows and basic programs.

Fixes:
Get a larger case to hold the video card or get a low end video card.
Get a smaller SSD to save money to invest on other parts.

A note on the case:

The Silverstone website from the link OP provided
Even though GD05’s diminutive size allows it to easily integrate into any home theater cabinet, it can still accommodate an impressive list of standard components such as 5.25” device, two 3.5” hard drives, a 2.5” SSD, a standard ATX power supply, and two high-end graphics cards up to 11 inches.

The 7850 dimensions:

9.5" x 4.4" x 1.5" (as found on newegg)

As for the i5, good choice and seeing as it's not the K version, i'm assuming you're not going to overclock. Even though you're not going to, I'd still suggest an aftermarket cooler to get cooler temps on your CPU and whatnot.

This is up to you though. :lol:

Thanks for the feedback guys. 👍

As for the GPU size, I'm quite sure it will fit (I specifically picked this case because it can fit a dual slot GPU), though I will probably need some angled connectors for the power supply to the GPU. Putting 80 euros towards a faster GPU instead of a bigger SSD is interesting though, since an extra 80 (or slightly more ;)) euros towards the GPU allows me to put in a HD7870 or even an HD7950. :)

I am not planning to overclock, so no need for the K version. Aftermarket cooler sounds like a plan though, but with this case I will be limited to models that are 70mm high max. That Zalman you posted fits quite nicely. 👍

EDIT: Did some more research on the GD05, height of the card will not be an issue.

EDIT2: The MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC looks like a great GPU too, about as expensive (okay, slightly more :P) than a HD7950. I suppose this would be a very fast one right? It's also slightly less long than the HD7950. I sense a slight creep in budget here, but nothing to worry about (yet). :lol:

Last edited:
Looks like a really nice build. I'm expecting pictures of it and a review of the 3570 cause I'm considering building a system around the 3570K. :D

Thanks. :D Still not sure about all of the components just yet, so I think it will take me at least a week or two before I order it, but I will definitely post pics and review here. 👍

Problems detected:
Case: Case is slim line designed for HTPC use not gaming, mid end to high end cards may not fit this case.
CPU: Good for gaming, overkill for HTPC.
GPU: Will not fit case.
HDD1: you can get away with a 90GB or 120GB SSD, The SSD will just before windows and basic programs.

Fixes:
Get a larger case to hold the video card or get a low end video card.
Get a smaller SSD to save money to invest on other parts.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. The OP will need a i3 CPU if he has any hope of using it as a HTPC. Otherwise, I would get a bigger case to comfortably sit an i5 for gaming, maybe even an i7, though that is a bit overkill compared to the rest of the rig.

You dont need a i7 for gaming really. A good i5 is more than enough. You better invest the difference in price in a higher graphic card.

The other issue is heat.

Smaller cases will have less air moving around in them so the parts will run a little hotter.

You dont need a i7 for gaming really. A good i5 is more than enough. You better invest the difference in price in a higher graphic card.

Did you even bother reading what I said? Even I admitted that an i7 is overkill unless the OP is putting in Final Fantasy XIV, and even then, that isn't really necessary, just recommended.

Other than that, I would get a bigger case, even if all he is using it for is a HTPC. The reason why is because Greyfox said, heat. You can easily run 90-130 degrees if you don't have proper ventilation, and by all indications on the case, is only run on two fans, and that isn't enough with all the components that he has selected to put into the machine.

I would go for the 3570k, it's only £12 more on ebuyer.

I have a 3570k and I haven't OC'd it yet but it's nice to know I have that option available in the future if necessary.

Also, I agree on the comments regarding cooling, I'm no expert but that case doesn't look ideal, maybe you should do a bit of research online regarding other peoples experience with it.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. The OP will need a i3 CPU if he has any hope of using it as a HTPC.
You can take the HTPC bit with a grain of salt. I need an excuse to put it in the living room. ;)

The other issue is heat.

Smaller cases will have less air moving around in them so the parts will run a little hotter.
That's something that has my attention as well, not sure how to deal with that yet.

Other than that, I would get a bigger case, even if all he is using it for is a HTPC. The reason why is because Greyfox said, heat. You can easily run 90-130 degrees if you don't have proper ventilation, and by all indications on the case, is only run on two fans, and that isn't enough with all the components that he has selected to put into the machine.
Well, it has three 120mm fans. But it is indeed rather tight with the big GPU in there.

Also, I agree on the comments regarding cooling, I'm no expert but that case doesn't look ideal, maybe you should do a bit of research online regarding other peoples experience with it.
I did, people running a GTX560 seem to be quite happy with it and not running too hot. But if I'm sticking a GTX670 or an HD7950 in there, all that powah (=heat) has to go somewhere. ;)

Okay, so to summarize, I guess the setup is okay, but the case is iffy as far as heat dissipation is concerned. Going to contemplate on a different case (and where the heck to put it ;)).

I need to do something similar so maybe I just let you try it out first and test it for me :P

Looking forward to the review :cheers:

Heh heh. :D Since the limitation here is space, there are definitely tradeoffs to be made. Just wondering just how much performance you can cramp into a case this size and still be able to dissipate all the heat.

Considering that the case comes with three fans and that you can add two 80mm fans in the back, the cooling would not be an issue. I do have to note that those three fans are configured for intake and none of them does any exhaust. I'm thinking a push-pull setup would work the best for this case. By that I mean flipping the two fans on the right side of the case to exhaust since that is where the majority of the heat will be located.

I havn't read all the posts, only the one down to GrayFox. But the card will fit in this case.

Linus of LinusTechTips got a 7970 in an even smaller case than this. When I'm out of a school lesson I'll find the vid. If he got it into that little thing, it'll fit into this no worries :)

EDIT: After reading a bit more, I'd suggest against Zalman coolers. Kinda a personal thing really, I've had a few and they've all, while performed well, been loud as crap, even at 7V. A Scythe cooler is what I'd suggest. :) In all honesty as long as it's 120mm it's going to be silent enough. Good thing is, Ivy chips are cool as a cucumber at stock, so there's not a lot where the fan has to ramp up much :)

Last edited:
I havn't read all the posts, only the one down to GrayFox. But the card will fit in this case.

No one is arguing that the card will fit in the case, but the problem is heat. As I have pointed out earlier, considering all of the components together, it can generate 90-130 degrees of heat easily. That is something that twin fans can't cool easily, especially 70mm fans. That is why general consensus is that he needs to go with a bigger case. It shouldn't be much bigger of a case, mind you, but it should be one that has enough room for air to move around.

No one is arguing that the card will fit in the case, but the problem is heat. As I have pointed out earlier, considering all of the components together, it can generate 90-130 degrees of heat easily. That is something that twin fans can't cool easily, especially 70mm fans. That is why general consensus is that he needs to go with a bigger case. It shouldn't be much bigger of a case, mind you, but it should be one that has enough room for air to move around.

How is the included fans a size 70mm?:confused:

The 3 case fans that are included are 120mm and they have a reputation for being pretty good.

Uhhh, no. The case can't accept any cpu cooler that's taller than 70mm.

While true, I suppose tlowr4 is referring to the diameter, rather than the height?

The case does indeed come with three 120mm fans, with room for an additional two 80mm fans. I could fit those additional two, as well as mount a decent CPU cooler, like a Scythe Big Shuriken (120mm fan, 58mm high). I think that will be able to dissipate the heat, but not sure about the resulting noise level...

While true, I suppose tlowr4 is referring to the diameter, rather than the height?

The case does indeed come with three 120mm fans, with room for an additional two 80mm fans. I could fit those additional two, as well as mount a decent CPU cooler, like a Scythe Big Shuriken (120mm fan, 58mm high). I think that will be able to dissipate the heat, but not sure about the resulting noise level...

I used the Scythe before on a 65W TDP C2D@2.93GHz and I could over clock it to 3.5GHz stable without going over 60C on load(3.9GHz was my highest but that was too unstable). The only loud sound from the cooler is the sound of air being moved but little coil noise from the fan. My suggestion is just to bump the fan speed down(Around 80%) and it will be as quiet as you need it.

Nice! 👍

I used the Scythe before on a 65W TDP C2D@2.93GHz and I could over clock it to 3.5GHz stable without going over 60C on load(3.9GHz was my highest but that was too unstable). The only loud sound from the cooler is the sound of air being moved but little coil noise from the fan. My suggestion is just to bump the fan speed down(Around 80%) and it will be as quiet as you need it.

Thanks. 👍 I will contemplate a bit more before making the buy (not in a real hurry to decide here).

Back