Considering RAM upgrade: HP says I can't, motherboard says I can

  • Thread starter Thread starter Delirious
  • 2 comments
  • 975 views

Delirious

Meh
Premium
Messages
2,614
Messages
Metroider17
Going to HP.com looking up my A720N, it says

"Maximum allowed 1 GB (2 x 512MB)"

But when I go to the motherboard spec page my
Mb manufacturer name: ASUS A7V8X-LA

HP/Compaq name: Kelut-GL6E

It says this

2 x 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets

Support up to maximum 2 GB memory (PC manufacturer's maximum memory may differ)

Supports unbuffered PC2700/2100 non-ECC DDR SDRAM memory

So...what's up with that? I have 1 Gig of memory right now on XP, if I could upgrade to 2 gigs of memory would it make much difference?
​
 
My guess would be the manufacturer's custom BIOS only allow 1 GB.
 
Going to HP.com looking up my A720N, it says

"Maximum allowed 1 GB (2 x 512MB)"

But when I go to the motherboard spec page my
Mb manufacturer name: ASUS A7V8X-LA

HP/Compaq name: Kelut-GL6E

It says this

2 x 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets

Support up to maximum 2 GB memory (PC manufacturer's maximum memory may differ)

Supports unbuffered PC2700/2100 non-ECC DDR SDRAM memory

So...what's up with that? I have 1 Gig of memory right now on XP, if I could upgrade to 2 gigs of memory would it make much difference?
​

What are you using your PC for now? If it's working fine for what you're using it for now, don't bother with the premium. You could always upgrade to a higher speed I guess.
 
Back