Consistent fun competition?

• Thread starter iLex
  • 6 comments
gtp_iLex
I've asked this on the xbox Forza forum too, but since my account is 'under moderation' (I guess for being a new account... I hope) I'll ask it here too:

TL;DR: Is there a way to select your cars to have a consistent competition across all races?

Hello all,

I’m a new player and I was wondering something.
How do you deal with car selection to get a consistent competition?
I come from playing a lot of Gran Turismo (starting at GT1 on the PS, ending at GT6) and a bit of Project cars. These games are quite straightforward in the way they handle competition, basically because the cars you drive against don’t change (much). This means you can enter a car and if the competition is too strong you just upgrade your car a bit and try again (within the limits given for a particular race).
However, the competition in FH4 is matched to your car selection, then modified by your Drivatar settings (right?)
After playing for two weeks now I don’t seem to get a grasp on how to manage this.

Take 'The Titan' the last race in the cross country series.
Now, I started out in the hoonigan RS200, which was all over the placed I ended up 11th (but apparently everyone’s a winner! :/ ). I then got back to it again in my 1983 Audi Sport Quattro, which was fast enough, but needed more grip to not be sliding about (and for some reason, the AI has plenty of grip). So I changed the tires on the Audi, assuming this would give me a better chance of winning. However, since the tires added quite some points to my PI, I ended up racing against a field that would quite quickly disappear into the distance (the first 3 that is) never to be seen again.
I then tried various different cars, with various degrees of success, where I mostly ended up in 3rd/4th/5th place with the first group too far ahead to even consider competition. Ultimately the Nissan Titan Warrior Concept did the trick and got me a fun race and a win.

So, my questions:
1) Is this random?
2) If not, Is there any way to find the sweet spot for races without going through trial and error like this? Like: “make sure you are 10 points below the breakpoint to the next class…”
3) Is there any use to upgrading your car if the competition upgrades with you?

I use a wheel and while I am not the best driver, I am fairly consistent, especially when you throw a bit of rewind in the mix. I only have ABS on. Drivatars are on ‘highly skilled’ to comply with some of the seasonal restrictions.

Just to be clear: I am not looking to win all the time (I can set the drivatars to “drive in the wrong direction” or whatever the lowest setting is and do that). I am looking for consistency in the competition, preferably while driving different cars and not defaulting to the same set.

Cheers, Alex

The AI kind of cheat in Street Scene and Cross Country events. Those events are usually harder than Road or Dirt racing. You won't be able to find consistency between those events. You can reach that consistency by using the "right class" for those events. Like you found out yourself using Off-road Class in CC will get you more consistency than using Extreme Monsters for example. You will find that sweet spot by playing the game.
Now regarding the tuning of your car. Yes, it make a huge difference when you make a good tune. Some events are good for handling others for speed.

Thanks for your reply!

The AI kind of cheat in Street Scene and Cross Country events. Those events are usually harder than Road or Dirt racing. You won't be able to find consistency between those events. You can reach that consistency by using the "right class" for those events. Like you found out yourself using Off-road Class in CC will get you more consistency than using Extreme Monsters for example. You will find that sweet spot by playing the game.

Got it, I feared as much. Ah well, it's not a chore anyway. It is good to know this is more pronounced in cross country events though. Thanks.

Now regarding the tuning of your car. Yes, it make a huge difference when you make a good tune. Some events are good for handling others for speed.

I meant upgrading more than tuning, my bad. I have noticed that a good tune can make a world of difference (the option to download them is very nice I must say).
With upgrading though I found that going back to stock parts sometimes was the better way to go because of the increase in PI in the competition.

I meant upgrading more than tuning,
There's little difference between them. If you upgrade the right parts you can still make a huge difference. The Peel is a good example. You can upgrade it to D500 and make it a walk in the park even on unbeatable.

There's little difference between them. If you upgrade the right parts you can still make a huge difference. The Peel is a good example. You can upgrade it to D500 and make it a walk in the park even on unbeatable.

That's interesting as I got the idea that the competition reacted to, say, upgrading the power of the engine (they would get better too). I might have gotten that wrong then. Thanks!

That's interesting as I got the idea that the competition reacted to, say, upgrading the power of the engine (they would get better too). I might have gotten that wrong then. Thanks!
I didn't said that. The competition still react and adjust to your pr. Let's just say that the AI it's not as competent as a human who knows what to do.

Back