Constantly getting Cookie Notification when opening new tabs

• Thread starter Bealdor
  • 10 comments
Germany
Germany
When opening subforums or threads in new tabs I'm getting this notification exactly every second time:

GTP cookie note.png

This continues to happen even if I already clicked on "Continue to Site" (multiple times).

The exact same issue already happened ~1 year ago but disappeared after a while but now it seems to be back.
I'm using the latest Firefox browser and Win 7 and 10.

It's not a huge issue I admit but since I'm used to work/read with multiple tabs, this is annoying to me.

The exact same issue already happened ~1 year ago but disappeared after a while but now it seems to be back.
This is a notification that was added for European visitors affected by GDPR regulations a few months ago. It did not exist a year ago, so I'm not sure what you were seeing back then (there was a problem with the notification for iPad users back in November).

I'm using the latest Firefox browser and Win 7 and 10.
I cannot reproduce the problem in the latest Firefox (65.0.1) on Windows 10.

Are you using any browser plugins? Any software which may modify your browser cookies? Are you using Firefox in Private Mode?

Ok then it must've been a few months ago and not a year but the issue definitely went away for me and now returned.
I'm using Adblock Plus but it's deactivated on GTP. No, I'm not using Private Mode.

Thanks for your support mate.

Can you try disabling Adblock Plus for a few minutes and see if that affects it?

This is very puzzling because GDPR consent, which is stored in a cookie, is saved for one year. There is nothing different about opening pages in new tabs or windows that should affect cookies; I can see the unaffected cookie working as expected in my own copy of Firefox.

I tried that and it seems to partly work.
But I still get this notification on basically every subforum I haven't visited yet with my current session at least once.
Could it be that there's separate cookies for every subforum/site?

I can understand that it happens everytime I visit GTP for the first time after opening Firefox because I don't let my browser store cookies (it deletes them when closing FF),
but it's happening on all subforums at "first-time-opening".

Last edited:
I tried that and it seems to partly work.
But I still get this notification on basically every subforum I haven't visited yet with my current session at least once.
Could it be that there's separate cookies for every subforum/site?
Hmm, no, that is even more strange. The GDPR consent is the same and universal across all pages of the site; it uses cookies and the browser's local storage capabilities to maintain the setting.

Do you have other browsers you could try, or could you try using Firefox's "Privacy Mode" to see if it still occurs? I have tested with multiple installations of Firefox on multiple systems. I remain unable to reproduce the problem, and the lack of other people complaining about it (especially given our volume of visitors from the EU) makes me suspect that some other software or browser plugin on your system is interfering with Firefox and preventing this from working correctly. It will take further investigation and a process of elimination to figure out what that might be.

@Jordan I don't know if you did anything regarding this or if it's caused by a Firefox update, but I just wanted to mention that this particular issue isn't happening to me anymore since a few weeks. I get one notification upon first visit only. Once I log in, no notifications are popping up for me.

The code which triggers the GDPR notifications has been removed from the page template if you are signed into your account, so I'm glad to hear that partially fixed the issue for you.

I say partially, though, because if it was truly "fixed", you would only see the notification once a year. I remain unable to reproduce the issue with a standard Firefox installation, but hopefully it is a bit more tolerable for you now.

I say partially, though, because if it was truly "fixed", you would only see the notification once a year. I remain unable to reproduce the issue with a standard Firefox installation, but hopefully it is a bit more tolerable for you now.

Yeah that's totally fine by me. I'm auto-deleting all cookies after every session, so I expect to see this message once in every new browser session anyway.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Could you please make those cookie preferences a little bit more annoying to use? I would have to disable each of them one by one. Of course there's a "Allow all", but no "Disable all".

Could you please make those cookie preferences a little bit more annoying to use? I would have to disable each of them one by one. Of course there's a "Allow all", but no "Disable all".

I had the exact same problem, solved it by using the browser's dev tools:
Code:
$("span.switch_isSelected--17KWm span[class^='switch_visualizationContainer']").click()

I don't know how often does the Javascript change in the popup, so I can't vouch for how long it will work.

Latest Posts

Back