Controller braking and zones

Canada
Canada
I'm sure this was covered somewhere but I can't seem to find.Thought I'd give the controller a try and it's surprisingly competitive, atleast in my ratings class.
The biggest problems I have is I'm getting out braked in the corners, atleast I'm getting punted alot, and the others aren't using the brake zone markers. Is that something that just slowly improves, braking past the double cone?

Also related, deep in the race when the cones are all wiped out, what do you guys use for reference? I'm finding it impossible to be consistent torwards the last laps when focus drops off. Sure there's track markers but they don't line up with the cars required brake points.

Thanks.
Having fun 5 races in and finishing 2nd and 3rd thanks to momentous track practices.

Try using the meter boards along the sides of the tracks or another landmark as braking points. I don't use the cones anymore just because they become a handicap after they have been wiped out.

Generally I tend to use the beginning of the curbs as reference and brake at a certain point relative to that. You can also the rubber in the track in braking zones and use that as reference. Once you drive a track enough you start to notice certain objects at each turn that you can reference. Outlaps are a good time to drive slow and notice your surroundings and recon for those reference points.

As far as braking goes, I've noticed a lot of people use it as an on off switch but you have to transition into braking and then off more gradually than on off. Once you start getting that right and controlling the weight of the car, turn in is easier achieved and you can better maintain traction on exit.

I'm a pleb though. I'm sure there are lot of much faster drivers who can better advice. This is a start.

Generally I tend to use the beginning of the curbs as reference and brake at a certain point relative to that. You can also the rubber in the track in braking zones and use that as reference. Once you drive a track enough you start to notice certain objects at each turn that you can reference. Outlaps are a good time to drive slow and notice your surroundings and recon for those reference points.

As far as braking goes, I've noticed a lot of people use it as an on off switch but you have to transition into braking and then off more gradually than on off. Once you start getting that right and controlling the weight of the car, turn in is easier achieved and you can better maintain traction on exit.

I'm a pleb though. I'm sure there are lot of much faster drivers who can better advice. This is a start.

Good point. I just full brake every corner and make sure not to turn much. See if I'm can modulate a bit. Doesn't explain why I'm still getting out braked. Even the exact same car rolls in deeper. I guess if you modulate braking which gives you small amount of steering maybe it shortens the braking zone.

Tidgney explains that exact phenomena with spreadsheets and replays in the video I linked. Trailbraking extends the braking zone into the apex so you can brake later and carry more speed. So rather than braking in a straight line and running off the track, you brake through initial turn in and toward the apex which let's you brake deeper since you have a longer distance to work with to get your speed right to hit the apex. Can bleed in some throttle if necessary to keep the rear end inline. Takes some practice but becomes second nature.

Tidgney explains that exact phenomena with spreadsheets and replays in the video I linked. Trailbraking extends the braking zone into the apex so you can brake later and carry more speed. So rather than braking in a straight line and running off the track, you brake through initial turn in and toward the apex which let's you brake deeper since you have a longer distance to work with to get your speed right to hit the apex. Can bleed in some throttle if necessary to keep the rear end inline. Takes some practice but becomes second nature.

Yep, trail braking is what I'm missing. It's surprising that the bit of steering can shorten the braking zone that much. Wonder how hard it is to learn with the controller vs wheel. Should be just the same as modulating the throttle I guess.

Also, if you pay attention to blinking lights on the screen, then suggested gear indicator usually starts to blink inside braking zones.

Back