Controller users

Needed some thoughts on controller use and normal steering.

I could swear I have more control with "normal" steering, and the under/oversteer feels more natural and realistic to me.

What do you think, pad users?

My settings:

Deadzones (steering, throttle and brake): 0 inside, max outside.

I know this was being discussed in another thread, but I made this one only for controller users, and some feedback so as to which one is better for controllers.

Interestingly, sim steering on controllers doesn't necessarily make it any more sim-like, IMO.

Cheers.

I agree completely. I have had to use a controller lately and sim is insanely twitchy. Trying to counter steer when the tail steps out, the car just goes ballistic and wiggled itself out of control. I think its partly because you can't really make minor adjustments to keep the wheels straight like you can with a wheel.

Trying to counter steer when the tail steps out, the car just goes ballistic and wiggled itself out of control.

You real good racers worry about all this...I just let my car go, and hit the grass, or wall, and if there was a river I'd probably be in it too..:)

You real good racers worry about all this...I just let my car go, and hit the grass, or wall, and if there was a river I'd probably be in it too..:)

Hahahaha... how dare you accept your less than stellar driving skills in a sim?!! I banish you to kingdom NFS for all eternity!!

I agree completely. I have had to use a controller lately and sim is insanely twitchy. Trying to counter steer when the tail steps out, the car just goes ballistic and wiggled itself out of control. I think its partly because you can't really make minor adjustments to keep the wheels straight like you can with a wheel.

Precisely. With a wheel, I'm sure sim steering works wonders.

But with a controller, you get the pendulum effect once your car starts fish tailing. Normal steering on a controller, gives you better sense of grip and contact with the tarmac for sure. Without compromising realism or physics. That's the best part. No wonder in Horizon, if you go into the control options, it would recommend using "normal" on a controller, and "sim" on wheels.

So I've experimented with this at great length, and this is the conclusion we've come to!

Simulation is pretty much pointless for controller users, no doubt in my mind. Like you said, Speedster911, it doesn't change anything to make the experience more "sim." You still get input filters on the joystick, they're just sharper and twitchier. I'm sure there are people out there who would prefer the quicker response of "Simulation" on a controller, but there's no benefit to be had in forcing yourself to acclimate to it.

I stick to Normal in FM4 and FH because Simulation is just insane on countersteer, like you guys said. Too much, too early, too quickly.

When I had space to use my wheel and set up, sim hands down but yeah on a controller its like being thrown around in an earthquake haha. The only useful thing I've found with sim on a controller is you can do 360s pretty handily ;)

Simulation is pretty much pointless for controller users, no doubt in my mind. Like you said, Speedster911, it doesn't change anything to make the experience more "sim." You still get input filters on the joystick, they're just sharper and twitchier. I'm sure there are people out there who would prefer the quicker response of "Simulation" on a controller, but there's no benefit to be had in forcing yourself to acclimate to it.

I stick to Normal in FM4 and FH because Simulation is just insane on countersteer, like you guys said. Too much, too early, too quickly.

When I had space to use my wheel and set up, sim hands down but yeah on a controller its like being thrown around in an earthquake haha. The only useful thing I've found with sim on a controller is you can do 360s pretty handily ;)

Right on, yeah. Both'aa you. The feel of the cars is definitely more natural with the "normal" setting. Though I'm really compelled to get a wheel now and try out the "sim" setting on that. Yet, I hesitate.. as I know I'll be wasting almost entire days driving! I'd rather keep the game a game (with a pad), and just enjoy actual driving with an actual wheel!

I once tried out a friend's wheel, not sure what steering setting he was using, but it was sweet. So if I do get it... I know without a doubt, I'm wasting countless hours on it, which I don't want to! :D

Right on, yeah. Both'aa you. The feel of the cars is definitely more natural with the "normal" setting. Though I'm really compelled to get a wheel now and try out the "sim" setting on that. Yet, I hesitate.. as I know I'll be wasting almost entire days driving! I'd rather keep the game a game (with a pad), and just enjoy actual driving with an actual wheel!

I once tried out a friend's wheel, not sure what steering setting he was using, but it was sweet. So if I do get it... I know without a doubt, I'm wasting countless hours on it, which I don't want to! :D

Buy a wheel and set up I think its worth it :D Also what are people referring to saying pad? I feel like such a Rook when I see people say that :lol: But yeah as for me while using a controller, normal it is.

I've checked some of the other forums. Seasoned Forza folks there have similar sentiments.

Saying normal is best for controllers. And sim only benefits wheel users since the rotation increments are generally much larger, and allows for finer control. Unless they make a pad one day that has a ridiculously large and gradual range of motion/turn axis, sim is virtually of no benefit to controller users!

End of discussion pretty much, I suppose!

I've checked some of the other forums. Seasoned Forza folks there have similar sentiments.

Saying normal is best for controllers. And sim only benefits wheel users since the rotation increments are generally much larger, and allows for finer control. Unless they make a pad one day that has a ridiculously large and gradual range of motion/turn axis, sim is virtually of no benefit to controller users!

End of discussion pretty much, I suppose!

Wait! Answer my question! What is a pad?! Lol!

When it comes to C class and below simulation makes it easier to turn for me on tight corners. A lot of my PB leaderboard times were obtained using the mode on controller. A class and above gets increasingly twitchy though.

Yes, no surprise there. The unusual tendency for every car to understeer and oversteer more than usual is quite obvious with sim steering. I'd stay use the one that suits your driving style, but normal steering definitely feels more direct and natural. Compared to real life driving, not sim steering, or any other game.

Cheers man.

Keep the FB coming guys!

Back