Cool Wall: 1934-1937 Mercedes-Benz G4 (W31)

• Thread starter Snikle
  • 3 comments

1934-1937 Mercedes-Benz G4 (W31)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
United States
Poll 1485: 1934-1937 Mercedes-Benz G4 (W31) nominated by @MDDeGrande
wallpapers_mercedes-benz_g4_1934_1.jpg

Body Style: 4dr sedan, 4dr convertible
Engine: 5.0L I8, 5.3L I8, 5.4L I8
Power: 98 hp
Weight: 3,700 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, 4 rear wheel drive (front wheels did not drive)
Additional Information: Conceived as an off-road military vehicle, it was relegated to commander/parade car duty since it weighed so much that it would sink in mud. Half-tracks replaced it's original function.
1024px-Mercedes_Benz_G4_1938.jpg

d1e8419a22548e89e3a819540aa2bce0.jpeg

aZ02Z0z_460s.jpg

1dd7e3952d5d11113c2f7dae60c211ba.jpg

MERCEDESBENZG4-W31--2596_4.jpg

So not only was it a nazi military car, it was also so heavy that it was unusable at the function it was designed for, and it had to be reassigned. That's pretty uncool all on its own. I mean yeah, prewar cars are nice and all, this one looks nice too, but its glaring flaws prevent coolness to me.

Also the queue has like 6 cars on it. Anyone reading this, nominate today, the poll will be up before you know it!

Last edited:
Despite the, um, associations, this is one of the wildest things from the pre-war period I've ever seen.

I kinda hate it when prewar cars get polled and I don't usually vote on them because they all look the same and I can't tell them apart in terms of quality, reliability, looks, etc. They always just seem to get SZ automatically "because old"

I think this actually deserves a SZ. It's just so wild I can't resist voting for it. The only other 6-wheeled Mercedes besides the G63 AMG 6x6. It's just so crazy to even think there are more than one in that statistic.

I voted SU for the last Nazi car polled, and honestly I've had a bit of a change of attitude. The Beetle is as much of a "Nazi car" as this is, literally designed for Hitler himself and his "ambitions". Like I sort of hate the glorification of things like Panzer tanks or an MP40 SMG because they are tools of destruction, but a Mercedes, Porsche, Volkswagen, etc. weren't directly killing anyone. They're just typical cars of the time used for basic transportation. This Mercedes wasn't especially good at it, but the six wheels is just crazy and I love it.

Cool is such a hard thing to define. Some cars are uncool because they have an impractical feature others are cool because of they do. For example pop up headlights are impractical but definitely cool IMHO. So I'm struggling with which camp to put this one in. Six wheelers can be cool but they can also be an G63 AMG 6x6. I think I'm going to go cool, despite the weight rendering it practically useless.

Back