1967-matra-djet-v-0-1568648379.jpg

Body Style: 2dr Coupe
Engine: 1.0L-1.3L OHV I4
Power: 70-105 hp
Torque: 62-72 lb-ft
Weight: 660 kg
Transmission: 4-speed Manual
Drivetrain: MR
Additional Information: Known as the first production mid-engine Sports car - Fully independent suspension and disc brakes on all 4 wheels, advanced for its time - Designed and sold by Rene Bonnet, Matra took control of the project in 1964 after Bonnet faced financial troubles
15650099759_4c3d4b401a_b.jpg

626529.jpg

matra-djet-11.jpg

MatraBonnetDjet_02.jpg

2 different dash styles, apparently
1200px-1965MatraD-Jet5-interior.jpg

cf8322cc11ff6cdfc45f555f2cf56596.jpg

It looks like a baby Alpine A110, despite coming first. With that out of the way, I love this car. Props in beating everyone to the punch on mid-engine road cars. I know the Miura is remembered as the first mid-engine supercar, but this I4 sporty boy paved the way. Plus other technologically advanced features for its time, wrapped up in a cute little French body (although in profile it looks a tad strange, but that's true of many early mid-engine cars, such as the Dino) I don't believe I've ever seen one of these in person, as is often the case for old French cars. Even at the Frenchly-named Concours D'elegance there aren't many weird French cars. That was a tangent, sorry, anyway SZ for this car.

I, too, was thinking Alpine A110 seeing this design for the first time. Quite lovely (and kind of cute!) car! The A110 is one of my all-time favorite cars. This car misses the mark for Sub-Zero for me, but it gets a (strong) Cool from me.

The rear hatch and back panel look funky and out of place, but given this is the first real attempt at making a mid-engine body style that can be forgiven. Smart thinking on the fully indepedent suspension and discs all around, I imagine this would have been a snap-oversteering deathtrap if it was sprung like most vehicles of its age.

High Cool, as this seems like a car that deserves more noteriety than it has just for its pioneering nature.

Top marks for innovation! Not quite top marks for styling. It's nice but also a little awkward. Cool but not quite SZ.

70 to 105HP isn't much for a little sports car even in the 60s, but it doesn't weight anything so I'd imagine it's still pretty peppy.

Kind of interesting that this is the first mid-engine sports car in production with the engine in front of the rear axle unlike the Alpine that this looks like, pretty cool.

Also the higher ride height gives the impression that this would have been used as a rally car at some point, and looks like it was. Not a very popular entry by any means but a couple of them got used as such from what I was able to dig up.

1651604945915.png

Also there's this wild racing version too I thought I'd point out. Just thought it looked really cool. I'm thinking of tuning an Alpine in GT7 and using this livery for it potentially.

1651605011383.png

Back