Transmission: 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: MR
Additional Information: Designed by Gordon Murray
2001_Goodwood_Festival_of_Speed_Brabham_BT46B_Fan_car.jpg

brabham-bt46-the-brainchild-of-1.jpg

LS201007-p2.jpg

Last edited:
Gonna give this one a meh.

It doesn't look especially nice compared to other cars of the era, and any sort of dominance it did have doesn't mean anything because it was banned immediately afterwards.

Cars like the F2004 I find to be really cool because they dominated by just being a really good design and the rulebooks didn't need to be skirted around or altered to stop them. This one triggered that immediately and it was only really good because it had a fan in it.

It's not really historic either because Chaparral beat them to it by quite a while, with another car that was promptly banned.

In summary, these cars aren't good because they're a superior interpretation of the rules or anything, they just had fans installed when nobody else did and they got kicked out shortly after.

Maybe not Tyrrell P34 (the famous six-wheel F1 car) unusual, but this design is surely unusual. I am not one to hand credit on something just because it is different. There has to be more to it to earn praise. To me, it needs a lot more to be considered sublime. So my call is Cool and no higher on this formula race car.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back