• Thread starter Snikle
  • 11 comments

1985-1993 Consulier GTP

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
United States
Poll 1453: 1985-1993 Consulier GTP nominated by Snikle
consulier-gtp-the-american-road-legal-track-toy-you-probably-never-knew-existed-170434-7.jpg

Body Style: 2dr coupe, 2dr targa
Engine: 2.2 Turbo I4
Power: 175-190 hp
Torque: 200 lb-ft
Weight: 998 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: MR
Additional Information: Succeeded by the Mosler Raptor, which was very similar.
1988-Mosler-Consulier-GTP-2.jpg

1988-mosler-consulier-gtp-ebay.jpg

2560px-1990_Consulier_GTP-LX%2C_John_Fitch%27s_car_%28rL%29.jpg

20130614_104606_Custom.jpg

Last edited:
One of those uncool cars I'd absolutely love to see/drive/have, like the Lincoln Blackwood. This is saved from SU like the Blackwood by virtue of probably driving better than a fat luxotruck. I'm a real fan of the back.

This car seemed like a road-going (then) Daytona Prototype before the proliferation of the Daytona Prototype. This car is totally oddball from front to back. I doubt this car would get anyone to have Group C sportscar performance and appeal back in its day. There is coolness to weirdness often times. Here, though, I would look elsewhere. Unless you want to get laughed at or don't mind drawing weird stares from onlookers, avoid this car like the Plague. It looks fairly horrid all around with some bad wheel choices, and that interior is awful, even for a car from its time. Even my mother's old Dodge St. Regis had a better looking interior than this atrocity! Seriously Uncool is my call on this one.

The Consulier is probably the best place dynamically that a K car drivetrain ever found itself. However, it can't escape those awkward proportions, plus that interior gives me semi-truck/lorrie vibes.

Uncool, but I would drive it on a track maybe.

So Wikipedia says:

The GTP was successful in IMSA racing for six years, however its excellent power to weight ratio, responsible for its success, effectively made the car unbeatable; the car was eventually saddled by IMSA with a 300-pound weight penalty before being banned entirely in 1991.

It was banned from racing for being too good. I'm immediately ignoring everything else about this car and giving it a Sub-Zero just for that.

I sort of appreciate the turbo Dodge powertrain but that doesn't save it from being SU.

Judging purely from looks and performance figures would’ve given it an Uncool from me. The car looks purpose-built for racing, but the power figures simply doesn’t match the looks.

I didn’t know this car before though, so I did a quick Google search out of curiosity, and some brief Wikipedia reading suggested that there is more to this car than I know, so it bumped it up a bit. Bonus points for the nice livery and wheels in the heading pic makes it a Meh.

I'm going with a cool. It's a strange looking car but I love the obscure, yet incredibly successful racing history of the GTP. It has some serious performance (at least within the realm of what it was built to compete in) despite the odd looks.

Although the successor car, the Raptor. That canopy makes it look like the GTP made love with a locomotive or aircraft cabin. One of the ugliest front windscreens I've ever seen on a car.

Although the successor car, the Raptor. That canopy makes it look like the GTP made love with a locomotive or aircraft cabin. One of the ugliest front windscreens I've ever seen on a car.
1998Rolex24_jb_0055.jpg

I agree, the Consulier is much better looking.

Latest Posts

Back