Racing Class
: GT1, GT500
Engine: BMW S70/3 GTR 60º V12 Naturally Aspirated
Power: 600 HP / 7500 rpm
Torque: 480 ft-lbs / 5600 rpm
Weight: 1012 kg
Transmission: 6 speed Manual
Drivetrain: Mid engine, Rear wheel drive
Additional Information: 1995 24 Hours of Le Mans winner against LMP1s and LMP2s on heavy rain. 1996 British GT Championship winner. 1996 All Japan Grand Touring Car Championship
1995 24 Hours of Le Mans winner

3KvFXpb.jpg

HZqQQpE.jpg

132-1995-le-mans-winner-690x517.jpg

mclaren-f1-gtr-le-mans-1995-2.jpg

a65OSlt.jpg

1996 JGTC winner

Lark-McLaren-1996-JGTC-11.jpg

1996 British GT Championship winner

sefrsf-jpg.321588

Other liveries

McLaren-F1-GTR-66667.jpg

McLaren-F1-GTR-2669.jpg

McLaren-F1-GTR-77905.jpg

Anything less than SZ wouldn't feel right for the GT car that beat a bunch of prototypes, and is also a McLaren F1. Two very cool things mashed into one exiting car.

Also, this is the first poll where I'm trying the longer open voting period. 2 new polls a week, each stays open for 3 weeks.

Any car that wins Le Mans outright is easy SZ material for me, and this is probably the coolest of them all. The last actual road car to win a race dominated by superior, purpose-built machines. God may have taken the mother of all leaks that day, but it only goes to show the lack of ability from this car's "superior" competitors, and a David vs Goliath story makes anything cooler.

In reality though the competitiveness of this car was pretty short-lived. It achieved dominance for a year and decent results for a little bit after, until ze Germans came and ruined everyone's fun. Thus killing the golden age of GT racing (or creating it depending on your point of view).

Then McLaren tried to make this car last a little longer by giving it (in my opinion) a much uglier longtail kit, which never really managed to recapture the former car's success. So for me and the debate between short-tail and longtail, short-tail will always be superior despite being much slower.

I also really love the story of #11R, that's the one that Mercedes used all Thanos-style to develop the CLK GTR and kill GT1 racing. They used the McLaren to destroy the McLaren. It feels weird giving this car brownie points for helping develop a car I like more, but that's the way it went I guess.

So, to reiterate, easy SZ for the F1 GTR.

Sub-Zero. My all-time favorite car, a car I've always loved, and still one of the most mind-blowing cars ever produced. Love it as a road car; love it as a race car. Anything less than "Sub-Zero" is disrespect in my eyes.

Back