2018 Buick Regal GS lead

Body Style: 5-door liftback
Engine: 3.6L V6
Power: 316hp
Torque: 282 lb-ft
Weight: 1937kg
Transmission: 9-speed automatic
Drivetrain: front-engine, all-wheel drive
Additional Information: Less than 1,000 units were sold in its two year production run. 0-60 time: 5.9 seconds. Top speed: 167mph.
2018_buick_regal-sportback_4dr-hatchback_gs_fq_oem_1_815.jpg

Review-2018-Buick-Regal-GS-2.jpg

2018-buick-regal-gs-026.jpg

message-editor%2F1524684020086-regal-gs-int-2.jpg

The fast version of... The Buck Regal. The rarity is cool to me, but it's still just a Buick I guess. Low cool (Although I kinda meant to click meh lol). If only the TourX got this engine

Also, sorry I missed posting this last Friday, I was busy all day. On an unrelated note, I'm thinking of moving to a 2 poll per week system, and leaving each one open 3 weeks instead of 2. That lets more people get a chance to vote on cars, hopefully reduce the times that people comment on closed polls, and keep the queue from getting too small too fast. I won't implement this yet, in case everyone thinks its a terrible idea or something, but if I don't hear much/any pushback I'll start that next week.

Last edited:
It used to be that you'd be laughed at riding in a Buick. It is a lovely, though not gorgeous car. This car will not make you the biggest of rock stars. While this car is quite lovely, I doubt it's going to make you look and be cool. Some people don't think I properly understand what "Cool Wall" is. So to that end, let me say that while lovely, it is Seriously Uncool because it just lacks any real character overall. How's that?

It's amazing how rare these really are, showing how little of a demand there was for a sporty Buick sedan. As a car, there's nothing particularly wrong with the Regal GS- it looks quite good, boasted decent performance numbers, and had a similar amount of tech as it's rivals. Other than being a Buick, it's main problems were twofold: there were much better and faster cars for the price- for nearly $45k, one can opt for a Charger SRT8, Kia Stinger, or Infiniti Q50, all sports sedans which are either quicker or more sophisticated than the Regal GS. Secondly, the car literally wasn't advertised or marketed at all. Unless you're a serious car enthusiast, chances were you didn't even know this vehicle existed.

Last edited:
The only one of these that was remotely neat was the TourX. The LGX is a sweetheart of an engine, but this car in general was past its sell-by date by the time it had even come out. It would have been hopeless even if it wasn't for the corporate nonsense going on behind the scenes that showed GM never really learned any lessons from going bankrupt in 2008.

The only one of these that was remotely neat was the TourX. The LGX is a sweetheart of an engine, but this car in general was past its sell-by date by the time it had even come out. It would have been hopeless even if it wasn't for the corporate nonsense going on behind the scenes that showed GM never really learned any lessons from going bankrupt in 2008.
I think the Regal GS would have done better if it were budget-priced. Nearly $45k is a lot to ask, while if it were closer to the 30-35k range, it would most definitely find more buyers. There’s nothing inherently luxurious about an Opel Insignia, so I’m not sure why it’s so expensive. That goes for the regular Regal trims as well.

I feel, if were an actual USA Regal(a rebadged CTS-V, Blackwing or something rwd, the old CTS Coupe), it would have faired better in Regal-ness.
As that's not happened and this rebadge are what the public got, it's so uncool in the Buick history of cars, to me.

I feel, if were an actual USA Regal(a rebadged CTS-V, Blackwing or something rwd, the old CTS Coupe), it would have faired better in Regal-ness.
As that's not happened and this rebadge are what the public got, it's so uncool in the Buick history of cars, to me.
Personally, I don't see why GM didn't base the Regal on the CTS platform instead of rebadging an Insignia. Would have been a better car all around that way, plus it would leave room for a hot Grand National or even GNX variant if GM really wanted to get daring.

Counterpoint:

1970-buick-gran-sport
Exactly. Nothing to laugh at. My Dad had a ‘69 Skylark coupe and a ‘74 LeSabre 4-door. Buick were the poor man’s Cadillac in the ’70s(and '80s and '90s). Style & Luxury with big performance.

Exactly. Nothing to laugh at. My Dad had a ‘69 Skylark coupe and a ‘74 LeSabre 4-door. Buick were the poor man’s Cadillac in the ’70s(and '80s and '90s). Style & Luxury with big performance.
350 or the six in the '69?

350 or the six in the '69?
350. His mechanic always put a 350 Chev in all his cars. Even replaced the 327 in his Malibu wagon with a 350. Only his ’70 Camaro had the 305(sold it because it couldn’t fit us five when the wagon was crashed).

I rated the station wagon version of this car a cool, so it seem appropriate that the sleeper performance version should receive the same treatment.

People may laugh that you drive a Buick, but they won't be laughing anymore when your boring car for senior citizens is much faster than theirs.

So you're telling me that this is rare than your average supercar? I'm sold
Also as this is literally an Insigna GSi with a better name, I much prefer the older OPC/VXR, very underrated car in my opinion.
As for the Buick, it's uncool because really, who really needs a car like this with an uncompetitive price to boot?

Last edited:
Back