Transmission: CVT, 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: front engine, all-wheel drive
2022-Subaru-WRX-wheels-up.jpg

JDPA_2022%20Subaru%20WRX%20White%20Rear%20Quarter%20View.jpg

2022-Subaru-WRX-18.jpg

2022_Subaru_WRX_026-scaled.jpg

2022-Subaru-WRX-GT-interior.jpg

WRX-Infotainment-Hero.jpg

It's meh to me, I guess. While I like the looks of some of the older ones, WRXs aren't my thing to begin with, and this is certainly not one of the better looking ones, with the extra Crosstrek-inspired cladding. That said, the side profile is actually better than I thought it'd be. Order it in darker colors and it'll probably look fine, WRXs were never known as lookers anyway. I know this one drives as good as or better than the previous model despite the small increase in the peak hp and torque numbers.

Why they put the performance options with the CVT only, I don't know.

Oh boy, is it time to drag the new WRX again?

It feels like everything is wrong with it. The styling is polarizing, the good options are locked behind the CVT, and I just saw that damn infotainment like :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Glad we're debating this Impreza/WRX and not the 2005-ish "Hawkeye" one most people seem to love. Subaru is, and always will be known for its rally prowess, not just in the World Rally Championship. The Impreza/WRX will always be a cool car to me. Looking at the design of this specific model, the brake lights have some older Honda influence to them. The styling of this model Impreza/WRX is not horrid, but it could have been styled better. So I will leave a Cool vote for this car. There isn't enough for me to make it "Meh" or worse.

Not cool and it looks like Subaru forgot the positioning benefits of separating Impreza from WRX in the first place. The Impreza became a more serious contender in the compact family car market and with a terrain cousin in the Crosstrek / XV. This enabled the WRX to focus more on purity and performance, but this new WRX doesn’t really look like it knows what it wants to be. WRC legend with one job, but Subaru made it polarizing.

Last edited:
Bad thing is, you don’t have to look at it from behind the wheel…. but then, it ain’t pretty behind the wheel either. Yeesh.

I dunno why but the transition from late 2010's to early 2020's, it's been rough for a lot of car models.

The Honda Civic was one of them, it went from a smart and sharp looking NSX-inspired design to some boring, bulbous thing.

BMW, the majority of their models went from looking smart and sharp to having massive pig-nosed grills.

Then of course you have the Subaru WRX. The rear end looks like it ripped off the previously-mentioned Honda Civic, but Honda doesn't even use that design anymore so I guess it's fair game. The front looks better, pretty faithfully inspired by one of the WRX concepts from years ago. But as basically everyone brings up about this car, all of it is ruined by the cheap-looking black plastic.

So it's saved from being SU simply because it's a WRX. It's still a good performance car despite the new looks, it's just the shell on top of the chassis and drivetrain is just poorly thought out and ugly as hell.

I will say this, with every new Impreza WRX/STI generation unveiled, it usually gets negative press at first in terms of styling. That happened with the previous gen, as well as the "Stinkeye" and "Bugeye/Blobeye/Hawkeye" generation, though eventually, the styling grew on its fanbase and it's no longer considered an "ugly" car. I think it's a matter of time before the car community in general warms up to the gray plastic cladding, and there is a chance the cladding is painted body-color in the future, or when the STI model is rolled out. Though, I'm still not a fan of the grey plastic cladding by any means.

In terms of the car's performance and overall quality, reviewers are raving. Massive improvement over the previous generation, despite only a small increase in horsepower and price. Honestly, the WRX in a class of its own. It's a better performing car than a Civic Si, GLI, or Elantra N for sure, though it drives distinct from a Type R Civic or Golf R. It's definitely the funnest car one can buy for the price, and it's a pretty good value as well.

Though, I vote uncool, partly for the grey cladding, and partly of course, for the douchey, usually stoner-ish "bro" culture associated with Impreza WRXs and other cheap AWD sports cars.

This car vapes. It also looks like it was designed by a committee of people who don't understand their target market. Like someone wanted a list of cars that appealed to older Millenials and then just crammed as much of those design aesthetics into the overall package.

I think I like this more than most of the recent WRXs but it is still not great. It looks oddly jacked up too. I quite like the stubby boot/trunk on this though. Overall Meh.

Ok, what happened to the interiors? That infotainment is hideous!
Other than that, it's ok but it's not an STI or something; Meh it is

The higher grade infotainment where it's the bigger single vertical display is a lot better than the base.

And this looks so much better than the previous generation WRX. If the poll was still open I would have voted Cool.

This car looks like it should fill my mythical dream automotive segment, a semi-affordable performance car that’s actually designed to handle rough/dirt roads rather than tracks and glass-smooth pavement like everything is obsessed with proving their prowess on nowadays. But I just know it isn’t. Why can’t anyone build something small-ish with 200+hp that actually has ground clearance, suspension travel and tire sidewall and is fun to drive and doesn’t have a truck-like seating position? And most importantly has a dual clutch or torque converter and NOT a CVT. Not a big fan of manuals though obviously I support keeping them around for the people who enjoy them.

And while they’re at it no cameras/radar and ridiculous intrusive driving aids.

I just wish they’d put the WRX motor in the Crosstrek already.

The entire point of this new WRX is that it seems designed to fail so Subaru finally has an excuse to stop building unprofitable performance cars and focus entirely on boring crossovers. The cladding is baffling, even the old Outback SUS had painted plastic cladding.

Last edited:
Back