• Thread starter Famine
  • 23 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
Part of the fun of learning a track is learning the corner names - and the history behind the names themselves. The majority of turns at real world tracks* have names that hint at their shape, namecheck sponsors or commemorate drivers and events - even some straights too!

Silverstone has Hangar Straight, Vale, Brooklands
Brands Hatch has Surtees, Hawthorns and Dingle Dell
The Nordschleife has Dottinger Hohe, Adenauer Forst and Caracciola Karussell (and the Ring GP track has the Michael Schumacher S)
Laguna Seca has the Rahal Straight, Andretti Hairpin and the legendary Corkscrew

The list goes on. And on. And on. But with Gran Turismo's original tracks we're limited to naming the turns in sequence, from turn 1 to turn 2 and so on - unless you're like our friends at GranTurismobyNumbers and make up your own!

Do the Polyphony Digital team come up with nicknames for the corners and straights that shape their creations - and if so, can any be shared with the fanbase? I'd love to know what to call Grand Valley's hairpins or Trial Mountain's final chicane..!

*I'm aware that this is less common with Japanese circuits, like Motegi (no names), Fuji (Coca Cola, 100R, Dunlop, Panasonic and Netz), Suzuka (Dunlop, Degner, Spoon, 130R, Triangle) and Tsukuba (no names) - though I don't know why...

Oh man, I never thought of that!

Can I petition to have Trial Mountain's tight right-hander between the rockfaces, just after the T1 split, named "Evans"? :D
I didn't know you were a fan of Good Times (J. J. Evans:sly:).

original

Part of the fun of learning a track is learning the corner names - and the history behind the names themselves. The majority of turns at real world tracks* have names that hint at their shape, namecheck sponsors or commemorate drivers and events - even some straights too!

Silverstone has Hangar Straight, Vale, Brooklands
Brands Hatch has Surtees, Hawthorns and Dingle Dell
The Nordschleife has Dottinger Hohe, Adenauer Forst and Caracciola Karussell (and the Ring GP track has the Michael Schumacher S)
Laguna Seca has the Rahal Straight, Andretti Hairpin and the legendary Corkscrew

The list goes on. And on. And on. But with Gran Turismo's original tracks we're limited to naming the turns in sequence, from turn 1 to turn 2 and so on - unless you're like our friends at GTbN and make up your own!

Do the Polyphony Digital team come up with nicknames for the corners and straights that shape their creations - and if so, can any be shared with the fanbase? I'd love to know what to call Grand Valley's hairpins or Trial Mountain's final chicane..!

*I'm aware that this is less common with Japanese circuits, like Motegi (no names), Fuji (Coca Cola, 100R, Dunlop, Panasonic and Netz), Suzuka (Dunlop, Degner, Spoon, 130R, Triangle) and Tsukuba (no names) - though I don't know why...

You forgot the GT6 version of Circuit De La Sarthe: Dunlop Chicane, Tetre Rouge, Mulsanne, the RUF Curves...

You forgot the GT6 version of Circuit De La Sarthe: Dunlop Chicane, Tetre Rouge, Mulsanne, the RUF Curves...

Don't forget the Gran Turismo chicane on the Mulsanne straight! :sly:

In case you don't get it: the first chicane is now known as the Forza Motorsport in real life due to Microsoft's sponsorship, and since the Forza banners on the 2013 version were replaced with GT banners...

I knew there was a list somewhere...
'Cuda Bend at Trial Mountain was named after CudaMan (US GT Academy winner Bryan Heitkotter).
Several other corners there were named after other GTF\GTbN members. Some still hang out at GTXF.

Could name them after some of or all of the gt academy winners on the corners of original courses that they really like/dislike.

Back