Corner Names in GT4

Messages
82
Do you have any ideas for corner names for the tracks in GT4.

When you post some OLR race results would it make more entertainment if you said.

"I was doing well until about lap 15 when my rear tyres began to chunk and then I had a huge spin out at the Gravity Cavity..." in a report over the El Capitan Enduro.

I'm not asking for names for every single corner, and I certainly don't want "SP33D Haxor's bend" but maybe a collection of names that make you remember the older days of racing.

Most of the Real Life city tracks don't really need corner names with too much imagination as the local landmarks should help you out. (42nd Street Hairpin, Icho-Namiki, Vendome Chicane, etc.) - So if you actually live in Paris/ Tokyo, Seattle, Assisi or New York or fancy a trip from New River City to tell us more about SSR5.

So maybe a homage to famous corners of the past.

Also it would make any track guides much easier to put out and then start a thread about. If you have read Scaff's rather excellent car Set Up guides you will already know that he likes to rank up a tracks corners in terms of where they are located over a lap. Critical corners on Scaff's set up sheet really deserve emotive names.

---

Here are a few of mine.

***El Capitan*** (Maps from the Prima Guide)
Turn 1 "Speed trap"
Turn 2 "Inspiration Point" *named after a local landmark
Turn 3
Turn 4 "Ton Turn" * Named after my own stock car tests, if a car was pulling 100 MPH by the apex then it was looking like a car able to pull a sub 2 minute lap of the track.
Turn 5 "Lewis and Clark" Really a double apex turn, named after the American Pioneers
Turn 6 "Bridalveil" Named after the famous Yosemite Waterfall (Corner is the left prior to the Tunnel"
Turn 7 "Carson's Ramp" (Uphill left after tunnel) Named after the Explorer Kit Carson.
Turn 8 "Gravity Cavity" (Road Atlanta used to have a proper corner named this, but it has since been transformed into a sanitized and very slow chicane.)

I'll stop now!
 
Most of the turns at the 'Ring do have names.

He was suggesting making names up for original courses.
 
Last turn on Deep Forest: " The Sweep" or "lil' 130R"

First turn on Deep Forest: "Aremberkurve jr."

Last chicane on Trial Mountain: "Satans Tail"

Sharp hairpin on Apricot Hill "Rodriguez Hairpin" (named after me, because I have a big ego :D)
 
Some say in hot weather he sheds his skin like a snake.
Some say he is alergic to the Dutch...
Did you mean the Nürburgring Nordschleife Stig?

Imagine if it were just a track, no names to help you tell people where you find it hard.

New York - Maybe some local driver can tell us what the corner names would be. The straights are pretty obvious, Avenue of the America's, Broadway and the rest, but Corner names should be some famous shop on the corner.
GT4 is too low res to tell you the building names.

One thing I think I know about New York's track is as you drive and head along the Southern edge of Central Park, the Left hander just before the Split on this straight. Is this the Hotel where Gary Kasparov played and Lost against Deep Blue from Poughkeepsie's IBM plant? (At Chess)?
Every time I race at New York I think of this when I reach this corner...

And Stiggly wiggly, what about the Corner names at your own Top Gear test track? Hammerhead, Chicago, Gambon, Follow-through, Koeniggsegg graveyard... it gives even that airfield some personality.
 
I used to work in NY for quite a few years. The semi-circle is half of the Columbus Circle which splits the One way and Two way Broadway's
 
Back