Cornering and understeer

• Thread starter Jmyguk
  • 4 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Trying to improve my laptimes by looking at my braking and cornering (it's the same type of corners where I always seem to lose ground).
I've noticed some of the faster guys on youtube are able to 'throw' the car into the corners so the front end just dives in and the back end follows with little understeer or tyre screech. Whenever I try this I just understeer massively and lose loads of time. What am I doing wrong?

Example in this vid - Z28 from about 1:09:00.. those few corners I struggle with sliding.

I'm not an expert at this myself, but I know that people use negative brake balance values in order to get the back end more loose in cornering. gtr3123 does this for instance and it has helped him get some really good lap times. He also taps the brakes sometimes during cornering in order to get more oversteer effect.

I'm not an expert at this myself, but I know that people use negative brake balance values in order to get the back end more loose in cornering. gtr3123 does this for instance and it has helped him get some really good lap times.
I've had to do it a bit to stop the front end of the Mazda Gr3 washing wide on the brakes, it's bad for it. The Alfa 4C however has the backend coming round lovely with standard brake balance.

He also taps the brakes sometimes during cornering in order to get more oversteer effect.

Yup, I just learned this trick recently.

https://driver61.com/uni/weight-transfer/

It's a great way to break out of an understeer or to force a tighter radius towards the apex on some turns. It's tricky though since being too heavy on the brake initiates a drift.

Back