Cornering Issue

• Thread starter wlashack
  • 6 comments
Czech Republic
Czech Republic
wlashack
Hello,
I have one oddity that I don't understand. I'm trying to drive the Circuit Experience at the High Speed Ring (with a Zonda if that matters). The third sector is driven without braking, just turn the steering wheel fully to the left and let off the gas. And I always hit the barriers there, because my car just won't turn like in the Demonstration.

After lots of vain attempts, I noticed that while in the demo the red dot of turning the steering wheel goes all the way to the left, I can't get to that extreme position at all, while I have the gamepad turned more than enough. For me, the red dot just jumps around by itself between about 80% and less (I do not have it under control). Why?

Here is a short video for comparison:

My gamepad works correctly, when driving, the red dot goes to the extreme positions just fine in corners. Just not in this corner with this car. I also noticed that he has TCS On in the demo video, so I also turned it on, but it has no effect on the result, I also tried different TCS intensities, but nothing. I just don't turn it all the way to the left, so I'm not able to get through the corner properly. Can you help?
Thanks.

Last edited:
That is caused by gamepad softening.
The demonstration is absolutely likely driven either by wheel or on a version of the software where the controller input has no softening.
The gold time though can definitly reached with a controller, though it requires a bit different steering inputs.
TCS wont help you, as this only serves to reduce power when there is slip on the acceleration, it wont help when you are going too fast.
Instead you need to tap brake and then find the right angle and speed as well as the right spot to full throttle again.

That is caused by gamepad softening.
The demonstration is absolutely likely driven either by wheel or on a version of the software where the controller input has no softening.
The gold time though can definitly reached with a controller, though it requires a bit different steering inputs.
TCS wont help you, as this only serves to reduce power when there is slip on the acceleration, it wont help when you are going too fast.
Instead you need to tap brake and then find the right angle and speed as well as the right spot to full throttle again.

Thanks. I never heard about DualSense softening but yes, it may be the cause. And the solution you propose sounds good to me. And yes, maybe it is time to finally buy a wheel. :)

Last edited:
I never heard about DualSense softening but yes
This is something that various games to a certain degree to make it easier to play with a controller.
In case of GT7 this is propably done to reduce the player giving too much or too fast input and cause massive oversteer moments (which can still happen anyway), but as a result also prevents controllerusers from taking the very same maneuvers that are possible on a wheel. This was somewhat of an issue ina TimeAttack Event on Suzuka (I think) where the wheel was faster due to this.

Other games of course use different ways to guide the player, for example in many FPS games either their is a small amount of automated aiming, or sticking targetting, or projectiles that go a slight bit of crosshair to hit their mark.

And finally: dont expect a wheel to make you faster the moment you have it, it will require relearning the game and maybe will make you faster or not at all - it is no magic cure ;)

From a wheel I expect new lessons to learn only. 😉 I started with gamepad to find if racing sim is my way.

Back