Corvette HUD

  • Thread starter Thread starter dorihako133
  • 21 comments
  • 2,588 views
Messages
63
Messages
dorihako
Hey all ,i done a search and found nothing.
Anyone else notice that the Chev corvettes head up display of the
speed will only read in mp/h ?
I have my speed units set on km/h.
In the GT concept version it does display in km/h but its 10k's off what the other speedo says.
Would there be any reason for this or is it just a glitch?
 
The Corvette is an American car, it's units are in mph, when you set km/h you are setting the games HUD to km/h, not converting the car.
 
Yeah i see your point
but im saying why will one convert the speed and the other doesnt.
Just because its tunned by GT?
The tunned version can be mp/h or km/h on the cars hud
but its still 10km/h lower :sick:
anyway its a minor thing. just cant use both speedos lol.
 
Last edited:
Tach is way more usable than speedo, and generaly I evaluate my speed rather then checking it, you need to check the course all the time :P
 
Tach is way more usable than speedo, and generaly I evaluate my speed rather then checking it, you need to check the course all the time :P

Are you saying there's a tacho in this game???

Please tell me where
 
The tachometer is the long striped bar at the bottom right corner in the cockpit view, next to the gear indicator. The red section shows the beginning of the redline. If your eyes are good, then you can use the instrument panel display as well. In other views, the tachometer is the left gauge beside the speedometer.
 
The tachometer is the long striped bar at the bottom right corner in the cockpit view, next to the gear indicator. The red section shows the beginning of the redline. If your eyes are good, then you can use the instrument panel display as well. In other views, the tachometer is the left gauge beside the speedometer.

Ah, okay, for a minute there I thought he was on about that detailed telemetry stuff they had in GT3/4 (can't remember which or both)
 
This is the same story as the Amuse S2000 which only displays KM/H, japanese car japanese dials.
 
Not a big deal. It's not like I'm driving the speed limit and constantly looking at my speed. hehe
 
According to your view, the tachometer/speedometer can be displayed as dials in the center of the HUD display, with a digital readout of the speed between the dials. I am used to having the speedometer/tachometer directly in front of me (reality) so it is the display I use most often.
 
Not a big deal. It's not like I'm driving the speed limit and constantly looking at my speed. hehe

I almost always pay attention to my speeds on corner entries and exits. Lets me know if a slight change in line has had any negative or positive effect. I'm still chasing that elusive 145mph on 130R in the 06
 
If you dont pay attention to speeds or at least the tacho
then how do you tell if you entered at the right speed ,that seems very inconsistant to me.

If you do 100km/h in the tunned vette the speedos on screen in the cockpit veiw say different things to each other one will be 100km/h and the other says 90km/h
 
then how do you tell if you entered at the right speed ,that seems very inconsistant to me.

You 'feel' it, sence of speed, I never look at my Speedo or tach really (shift by sound) unless I am a little bored and am just looking around.
 
By the time you look down to check your speed for the corner and you realize your coming in too hot, its too late to try and correct it. Your done. Judge speed by feel, not by the numbers.
 
You 'feel' it, sence of speed, I never look at my Speedo or tach really (shift by sound) unless I am a little bored and am just looking around.

I shift by sound, too or just when I'm in the mood to :crazy:

Watch the road! Not your dials!
 
only need to watch your tach during shifting up....people who say they shift by feel cant seriously be shifting at the same optimum revs every time lap after lap? I mean how many times do you hit the limiter during a race???
 
I mean how many times do you hit the limiter during a race???



Never... (well very very rare)

Seriously, You know by sound, your ears are sensitive enough to know when to shift.
 
I have also noticed this annoying error.

If you have driven an American Corvette the actual speedometer will change to km/h if you want and I think the HUD also (it would be harder for chevy to convert just the actual speedometer and not the HUD to km/h as they both would likely share the same digital input).

This should be corrected in the game. Please make the HUD read the correct digits.

As for not reading the tachometer or speedometer around corners I think those who don't use either to gauge how fast they travel through corners are not analyzing their laps enough. If you truly want to get the most out of each lap you should glance at the tachometer or speedometer to gauge how fast you went through each time and if there is more grip available try to go through a sliver faster until you are over the limit. It can also be used on lap replays to see if you got the best out of each corner.

Cheers, Doggyollie
 
If you dont pay attention to speeds or at least the tacho
then how do you tell if you entered at the right speed ,that seems very inconsistant to me.

If you do 100km/h in the tunned vette the speedos on screen in the cockpit veiw say different things to each other one will be 100km/h and the other says 90km/h

A number is all you need. Not the EXACT number. Any. It could be "2 MPH" through spoon for all I care. Memorization and the feel of you car. I really never use my tach.

By the time you look down to check your speed for the corner and you realize your coming in too hot, its too late to try and correct it. Your done. Judge speed by feel, not by the numbers.

Exactly. Period.
 
As for not reading the tachometer or speedometer around corners I think those who don't use either to gauge how fast they travel through corners are not analyzing their laps enough. If you truly want to get the most out of each lap you should glance at the tachometer or speedometer to gauge how fast you went through each time and if there is more grip available try to go through a sliver faster until you are over the limit. It can also be used on lap replays to see if you got the best out of each corner.


Thats what I check my splits for, generally you should be able to tell with 'feel/sense' how good or bad you took the corner or if it can be improved, then checking splits confirms, I usually can predict what my split times will be pretty well from self analyzing the way I take corners.

The only times I check speeds is if I compare replay's.
 
Never... (well very very rare)

Seriously, You know by sound, your ears are sensitive enough to know when to shift.
maybe but if thats the case every race/road car ever raced at the track by a racing driver from club level to F1 should by your technique never require a tach or shift light:idea:
As far as checking speed during a race is concerned it is not a major requirement to have a speedo, just use the split times, your braking markers and feel to make your way around.
 
Last edited:
I have also noticed this annoying error.

If you have driven an American Corvette the actual speedometer will change to km/h if you want and I think the HUD also (it would be harder for chevy to convert just the actual speedometer and not the HUD to km/h as they both would likely share the same digital input).

This should be corrected in the game. Please make the HUD read the correct digits.

You're correct - the speedo and the HUD can both be switched from mph to km/h via a standard options setting (English versus Metric units) which also affects all other units (e.g. temperature, pressure, fuel consumption). I've owned C5 and C6 'Vettes and the HUD has always worked this way. The HUD is wonderful, not least because a 300mph speedo (if you're using English units) isn't easy to read at a glance!
 
Back