Could it be possible to add the Nurburgring to GT2?

• Thread starter Memesbro
  • 5 comments
New Zealand
New Zealand
I know that in it's current state, no. But wouldn't it be cool to add the Nurburgring to GT2 by deleting track data of other unliked tracks or cars?

If it were possible to do this without breaking the game, and all the cars that weren't used in events and were repeats of other cars were deleted, could it be possible to, building it from the ground up, add the Nurburgring to GT2 (and some other tracks)? And if so, has it been done? (I really want to play it)

I cannot make it, as I don't have the ability to mod GT2, in terms of hardware (I am on a chromebook) and expertise (of which I have none).

I think it's safe to assume that something like the Nordschleife would be a no go. Not much research has gone into that, but from what I've observed 700 KB would be the theoretical limit for track data (loaded from a .tro file) in memory, with some of the bigger tracks (Grand Valley comes to mind) already sitting above 400 KB if I recall correctly.

Also, while we're at it, it's important to stress that disc space is barely an inconvenience in terms of modding. The #1 issue is how much memory is allocated for each different file the game loads: tracks can't exceed the aforementioned size limit, cars have a polygon limit as well as a filesize limit, the master list of car parts has another limit and so on. The only situation where space has proven to be an issue is merging the Arcade and GT Mode discs' contents, as having both FMVs and GT Mode menu files breaks the physical limit of CDs – this is likely the reason why they were split in the first place.

I think it's safe to assume that something like the Nordschleife would be a no go. Not much research has gone into that, but from what I've observed 700 KB would be the theoretical limit for track data (loaded from a .tro file) in memory, with some of the bigger tracks (Grand Valley comes to mind) already sitting above 400 KB if I recall correctly.

Yeah, memory would be a serious concern, there are fixed allocation sizes for most things and they're generally quite close to the size of the unmodified files already (hence why there's a low limit on the number of new cars that can be added, or the quality of engine sounds).

Another problem would be the sheer physical size of the track - common to most games is the problem that the further from the imaginary centre point of the world the player moves, the less accurate their position is, and at some point the distance just can't be handled. The Nurburgring frequently needs special consideration due to how much larger it is than other tracks, and when attempting to mod it in nobody has access to the source code of the game to make technical changes like that.

At the most basic practical level though, nobody's figured out how tracks work or what things mean in the file format it uses. It took years of work to get the barest minimum support for editing car models (and the tools are horrendously unfriendly to use), while tracks are several times more complex due to things like draw distances, prop positions, surface materials, dynamic advertisement texture pools, and so on. I personally have very little interest in even trying, because it's likely beyond my abilities. I also think that it would be a struggle to find anyone with the art skills to actually create a new track - there are only a handful of people who have managed to make fully functioning car models and that's much simpler in comparison.

Also, while we're at it, it's important to stress that disc space is barely an inconvenience in terms of modding. The #1 issue is how much memory is allocated for each different file the game loads: tracks can't exceed the aforementioned size limit, cars have a polygon limit as well as a filesize limit, the master list of car parts has another limit and so on. The only situation where space has proven to be an issue is merging the Arcade and GT Mode discs' contents, as having both FMVs and GT Mode menu files breaks the physical limit of CDs – this is likely the reason why they were split in the first place.
Huh. Told you I don't have the expertise

Back