Could ranked/unranked option in sport -mode work?

• Thread starter Haitauer
  • 23 comments

Could ranked/unranked option in sport -mode work?

• Yes

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 61.8%

• Total voters
Finland
Finland
HI-tauer
I was readind (once again) conversations, how people tend to pass on some daily race combinations to safe keep their DR/SR. Im surely one of then (SR).

Maybe we could have choice between ranked or unranked match making in daily races. If you want to just have fun you can go to unranked - loose nothing, gain nothing. You are matched with others willing to drive unranked. Still be matched with similar dr/sr/time but no affect on your points. Good for fun and training.

It won't make any difference. Just as a lot of top drivers avoid dailies now they'd still avoid them then, ranked would still have all the same issues as now and they won't drive unranked for very long time either after they've been hit off a few times by people just driving for "fun".

There is also lobbies for unranked fun.

I'd like that but it'll end in a crash-fest. So it'd need some kind of it's own "unranked-SR"
Still be matched with similar dr/sr/time but no affect on your points.

Yes :cheers: Nice to quote my self.. :lol:

There is also lobbies for unranked fun.

I use lobbies a lot, but i miss the sportmodes convenience of full grid in minutes. Also sport mode enforces trying new things. Not just gr3 dragon trail all day.. :lol:

Imo, the whole "crashing is allowed" thing will result in everyone crashing. Just enter lobbies :) It's a nice idea though but the sportsmanship aspect of racing doesn't lend itself well to your idea I think.

If your SR sits at 99 no matter what you do in the unranked games I guarantee you that everyone will go for every gap and risk crashes/divebombs that would normally result in a huge SR drop

Playing with clean guys i guarantee thats not the case. Many rather take 4th place with clean racing vs winning dirty.

Imo, the whole "crashing is allowed" thing will result in everyone crashing. Just enter lobbies :) It's a nice idea though but the sportsmanship aspect of racing doesn't lend itself well to your idea I think.

If you are matched according to SR A/S, crashing and wreckfest is not the problem. But accidents happen, and you can lose a lot of hard earned points due to an accident. I believe unranked SR A/S could be good fun, clean, no pressure -racing. 💡

Last edited:
Playing with clean guys i guarantee thats not the case. Many rather take 4th place with clean racing vs winning dirty.
Not when their SR and DR are not affacted by how they behave ;)

The way things will be going according to the now famous mega report. More races will now have to be raced by the big boys. They may have to do these 'killer' races to keep up and be in contention for competitions.

Every option to choose a different race at the same time will reduce the number of players available for matchmaking and therefore its quality.

Options are all fine and well, but with a limited number of players you run the risk of ruining all races with this.

Every option to choose a different race at the same time will reduce the number of players available for matchmaking and therefore its quality.

Options are all fine and well, but with a limited number of players you run the risk of ruining all races with this.

That is true if theres too few players online. I cant tell if that is the case or we have plenty more than enough. Then if the unranked would work as intended, it would bring also more players online.

That is true if theres too few players online. I cant tell if that is the case or we have plenty more than enough. Then if the unranked would work as intended, it would bring also more players online.
Not really. Lobbies are still more customizeable than unranked Sport mode, and there's no incentive for E/B players to try it out

I was readind (once again) conversations, how people tend to pass on some daily race combinations to safe keep their DR/SR. Im surely one of then (SR).

Maybe we could have choice between ranked or unranked match making in daily races. If you want to just have fun you can go to unranked - loose nothing, gain nothing. You are matched with others willing to drive unranked. Still be matched with similar dr/sr/time but no affect on your points. Good for fun and training.

Not exactly what you're suggesting as I think it should stay ranked, but make the ranking less obvious. That is, don't show DR in daily races at all. Its nice to see you're improving I guess, but I think its kinda silly. I think it should be used to help with match making and thats it.

Mixing ranked with unranked would never work in the same race. Way too risky for the people who covet rank.

The option of solely un-ranked daily races sounds good though. Relaxed (but not too relaxed...) penalties, nice credit payouts to inspire people to try an online race instead of boring AI grinding and good old fashioned standing starts. A much safer place to practise racing other people. If GT6's quick matches were anything to go by, they won't all be the rough and tumble you'd think they'd be.

Pet peeve. Get rid of the damned waiting for races to start and they'll get at least one person back online. When I want to sit down for some racing, I'm usually there for a full 5 course meal. With GTS, I'm slowly spoon fed the entré and then the stupid restaurant has to shut.:mad:

Get rid of the damned waiting for races to start and they'll get at least one person back online.
How? Most dailies only have like 5-10min at most between races. That gives time for the slower races to finish. I notice in the fast lobbies there is usually more time in between races and in the slower ones less time. Last night there was only 3-4 min between races and after a quick chat after the race there was almost no time to even get another quali lap in before the next race started. I agree that they could do a better job making sure each race has enough laps to really use all the time between races but usually i have about 6min between races.

TBH i just re-read what i wrote and 6min between races x 10 races is an hour wasted so maybe you have a point :lol:

I'm just pining for the old quick matches back. 3-6 minute races and a minute or so later, the next race starts. Race till you drop sorta thing. Toilet and tea breaks needed meticulous planning so that you're not the 'away from console' numpty who's sat on the grid causing chaos in the next race.:lol:

Yes :cheers: Nice to quote my self.. :lol:

I use lobbies a lot, but i miss the sportmodes convenience of full grid in minutes. Also sport mode enforces trying new things. Not just gr3 dragon trail all day.. :lol:

Please somebody explain to me how you get a full grid race out of a lobby?

Surely most people do daily races to gain DR or try to?
Not me, and not everyone does. Some do them because of the instant matchmaking. The problem with lobbies is that they can take too long to start due to the host. And sometimes, the host can kick you out of the lobby due to unfair and/or biased reasons. This is why I avoided going into lobbies in both GT5 and 6, and vastly preferred the quick matchmaking found in 5 Prologue and 6's Quick Matches.

The only problem with Sport Mode I have as a D/S player is the unbalanced matching. As I mentioned in the other thread, I keep getting matched with A/S and B/S players. My only option other than trying to git gud is drop down to D/B. Sure, there may be dirtier drivers, but I think I'd rather have them than to compete with those who are legitimately 10-20 seconds faster than me.

So yeah, I'm up for an unranked option.

Please somebody explain to me how you get a full grid race out of a lobby?

You will need to do a race & class most people will want to do. Then post that race in advance to get others attention.

Let's say you get 10 people sign-up for the race then if you keep it as a public lobby others will join in very quickly.
Having them all stay to the very end is another story.

You will need to do a race & class most people will want to do. Then post that race in advance to get others attention

Let's say you get 10 people sign-up for the race then if you keep it as a public lobby others will join in very quickly.
Having them all stay to the very end is another story.

I see, thank you!

The only problem with Sport Mode I have as a D/S player is the unbalanced matching. As I mentioned in the other thread, I keep getting matched with A/S and B/S players. My only option other than trying to git gud is drop down to D/B. Sure, there may be dirtier drivers, but I think I'd rather have them than to compete with those who are legitimately 10-20 seconds faster than me.

I don't understand.. You don't want to be matched with better drivers - which the matchmaking tries to do but can't every time depending on time of day.

But then you want a free for all where everyone from E to A+ is matched in same races.

Not me, and not everyone does. Some do them because of the instant matchmaking. The problem with lobbies is that they can take too long to start due to the host. And sometimes, the host can kick you out of the lobby due to unfair and/or biased reasons. This is why I avoided going into lobbies in both GT5 and 6, and vastly preferred the quick matchmaking found in 5 Prologue and 6's Quick Matches.

I don't understand.. You don't want to be matched with better drivers - which the matchmaking tries to do but can't every time depending on time of day.

But then you want a free for all where everyone from E to A+ is matched in same races.

Just to underline my original thought. Match making would stay as it is - just DR//SR points are not gained nor lost in unranked mode.

Of course its good to have conversation on different possible variations. :cheers:

Admittedly, yeah, it's a gamble. But I'd rather take that gamble than being consistently matched with a bunch of players who drive like rabbits on drugs. lol

Back