Could someone explain the Ford Mustang Mach 1 ‘71?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Credge
  • 12 comments
  • 5,415 views
Messages
27
I don't understand this car. I'm using it on Toscana at the moment and... it makes no sense to me.

First turn the car does one of three things:

1. Drifts and is incredibly fun to drive but does so as if I don't have racing softs on it.

2. Understeers.

3. Takes the turn just fine but I'm going at a pace slower than what the slow AI takes and they decide to hit me multiple times on the turn, resulting in me spinning out.

Yes, I'm hitting the turn properly. I've got no problems with this turn on any other car of mine that does the race.

Been doing Toscana for an hour and a half now and I haven't been able to do what I would call a proper turn. It's either a 4,000 point drift, understeering, or taking the turn slower than the slow AI does.

Can anyone explain to me why I'm having this luck?
 
It's a muscle car from 1971. That pretty much explains why. :lol: You can drive as good as you can, but ultimately you're limited by 70's technology. If you tune it a bit and give it a good suspension and LSD setting, it will become a lot better. 👍
 
I love the car but the factory suspension is very soft, and especially sloppy with power upgrades. Stock suspension settings on upgrade kits alone make the car much more drivable with upgrades.
 
I hate how you have to buy a new transmission to get it past ~110 mph.
 
The RKM tune in the tuning forum makes it pretty darn quick. One of my favorites. It does however make a whole lot faster, lots of hp upgrades, so it may not be what you want.
 
It's a muscle car from 1971. That pretty much explains why. :lol: You can drive as good as you can, but ultimately you're limited by 70's technology. If you tune it a bit and give it a good suspension and LSD setting, it will become a lot better. 👍

70's American cars were never great at turning. We Americans were only concerned about going in a straight line (when the car debuted), and it's part of the reason why our cars can't handle well today. We've been conditioned to accept crappy handling cars.

Recently, it seems that trend is disappearing. I point to the recent CTS-V and 2011 Mustang GT as examples, although it's a shame that auto manufacturers don't put the same effort into every car they make.
 
On my Mach-1 I only bought race suspension, lsd, racing gearbox and slightly better tires. I think it's a cool car to drive. Fun to have something made for a straight line simply glide through corners.
 
Just how the car was made... But don't worry. Turn all driving assists off and try driving it.
 
70's American cars were never great at turning. We Americans were only concerned about going in a straight line (when the car debuted), and it's part of the reason why our cars can't handle well today. We've been conditioned to accept crappy handling cars.

Recently, it seems that trend is disappearing. I point to the recent CTS-V and 2011 Mustang GT as examples, although it's a shame that auto manufacturers don't put the same effort into every car they make.

The primary reason cars from that era handled poorly was the tire technology of the day.

They were running fiberglass belted bias ply tires. Not the radials of today. There were few options available for soft compounds, and forget about Z-rated 150mph + tires; they didn't exist. So, there wasn't a lot you could do to the suspension to make them handle better.

Finally, these cars were cheap! That Mach 1 sold for about $3500 brand new.
 
Just how the car was made... But don't worry. Turn all driving assists off and try driving it.

I do. This is how the car behaves without any aids on. With ABS set to 1 it's a bit better, but I still have to go comically slow on turns or get a toss up between understeer in to a wall or flawless drift.

Comparing this car to my 69 Camaro, or rather, pretty much any non-racing car that can do that event, it behaves more like a civic tuned up for drifting with super-soft tires than it does American muscle with racing softs.

Which is why it doesn't make any sense to me.
 
Here's another way to describe it...

 
^^:lol:
Saxondale was the first thing that came to mind when I spotted the car in GT.

The most annoying thing for me about the Mach 1, is the fact that you don't get a paint chip for it.:grumpy:
 
You need to fit a sport exhaust on it as well, as it sounds amazing! I put sports suspension on mine and changed the camber and stiffned it all up now mine is fine!
 
Back