Could this be a good deal? Or a nightmare?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Beerz
  • 6 comments
  • 596 views

Beerz

E PLURIBUS UNUM
Premium
Messages
7,510
Portugal
Lisbon,Portugal
Messages
beerzgood
This one. For €12.500.

Remember, cars are expensive here. Take that into account. For example, a Impreza STi 2.5 Turbo (not the new one), is listed as new on the Subaru webpage for merely €56.600,00 which translates roughly in about USD$88.000,00.

Granted it's not the GTS, but if it's in a good shape (from the crappy shots it appears ok, and the engine bay doesn't look steam-cleaned), would you guys say it's worth at least the trip to that dealer to check the overall condition and see for myself? (it's about 300k north from where I live, so I'd have to schedule it with the guy)

The page is in Portuguese, but the basic info is pretty straightforward to anyone, I reckon, and located just above and right of the main photo.

Any opinions/suggestions welcome.
 
Only 40,000 kilometers? It either had a pampered life, or it sat in a garage for many years, which sometimes isn't a good thing, once it is regularly driven.
 
I think you might as well go check it out. Doesn't look in half bad condition and ya onl 40K on it and its 27 years old, thats pretty good.
 
Porsche 928's are generally cheap, so the price is right. These cars have a very complicated V8 though so anything that does go wrong (bound to happen, the car is over 20yrs old) it will cost you in labour costs. Still, they are very nice very cool cars. If you can afford these things go for it I say.
 
How difficult is it to import cars into Portugal? Could you get one from elsewhere in Europe where they would most likely be cheaper?
 
Only 40,000 kilometers? It either had a pampered life, or it sat in a garage for many years, which sometimes isn't a good thing, once it is regularly driven.
That's the thing that is puzzling me more right now, I found it weird too. But I tracked the seller's reputation and so far it seems solid with no scams that I know of.
Is there any other way to assess if the odometer's been tampered apart visually checking the alignment of the numbers?

I think you might as well go check it out. Doesn't look in half bad condition and ya onl 40K on it and its 27 years old, thats pretty good.
Hey, dude. :)
I'm finding it somewhat hard to think with my head clean as it has been one of my dream cars since I can remember, and I never came across one for sale that looked any decent, low K's and at a price I can actually afford (loan-wise).

Porsche 928's are generally cheap, so the price is right. These cars have a very complicated V8 though so anything that does go wrong (bound to happen, the car is over 20yrs old) it will cost you in labour costs. Still, they are very nice very cool cars. If you can afford these things go for it I say.
They're usually not cheap at all here, due to the standard low-budget cars that we get everywhere.
OVer here, sellers say: "hey, it's a Porsche. It has to be expensive". So it's hard to get good deals on these cars. Plus, it's a classic.
As far as problems, of course everyone is bound to have them, especially on a car that, like you said, is over 20 years old and has the engine it has. but to your knowledge, are they reliable? I mean, if well taken care of?
(I'm not going to compete in events or drift or do doughnuts or anything - if I get it, of course)

How difficult is it to import cars into Portugal? Could you get one from elsewhere in Europe where they would most likely be cheaper?
Importing isn't difficult. In fact, we do have a lot of imported cars circulating around everywhere (mainly from Germany).
Problem is, the so-called "free circulation of goods and people" in EU doesn't quite apply here, as the Portuguese government still hasn't dropped the high taxes for importing cars and such. And they're higher as car engines get bigger in cc.
For example, on a car like this, it would probably cost me an excess of 3000 to 4000 euros to have it legalized here (not to mention the paperwork and extreme hassle), coming from another country. Even if that country is also in EU. 👍
 
Is it a manual or an automatic.
The Auto is a better choice on an old 928.
Per the manual, they require a clutch change about every 10-12,000 miles.
That may be why it has such low mileage.
Don't be put off by the auto, it is still a driver's car.
It is an expensive car for Upkeep and repairs.
If you find a nice 944S2 it might be a better choice as they are not as complicated, but even more of a driver's car, and cheaper to insure and maintain.
 
Back