Could this mean the end of GT Academy in North America?

• Thread starter NismoFan23
  • 20 comments
United States
United States
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/124488-imsa-nissan-confirms-series-exit

Nissan is pulling out IMSA, leaving only one driving position open for the GT Academy graduates. Way to go Nissan, you have four GT Academy graduates, five in you count Ryan Lynch but he didn't complete the driver development program, and only one position open. I'm guessing Bryan will hold on to his ride in World Challenge leaving the other three out in the cold.

Nissan North America never committed to the program like Global did. Only Bryan had a full time ride last year, the others had to share the Doran 370Z in IMSA. Since the beginning of the program it always seemed like it was an afterthought with no plans for the future like Global has done with their program. Being Nissan's largest market you would think Nissan NA would put more effort into the program. Last year they wasted $20+ million on the super bowl ad that benefited Global more than NA by announcing the LMP1 program. No NA graduates are even on the map for a LMP1 ride.

This can't bode well for the future of the GT Academy program in NA. What's the point of continuing if you only have one ride? It will be interesting to see if Nissan issues any type of press release regarding the future of the program. It's almost comical how bad Nissan NA has screwed up the GT Academy program.

GT academy is already dying, and has been for the past 2 years now. (at least in its current form)
I dont, however, believe that this specific decicion from NNA will affect things.
My guess is that they are discussing the continuation of GT academy right now, and the way it is built up.
Time will tell, but I dont think there will be a GT academy 2016, however I do believe it will be back in 2017, in a very different format indeed.

I sadly predict this is pretty much a dead program overall. With the programs that had GTA drivers being taken down (I predict the RJN team could be next), its only a matter of time before its all totally over. Sad for me considering it was initially the driving reason behind me getting a wheel as realistically, I have no shot in the current state of things to become a racing driver or attend any race.

I sadly predict this is pretty much a dead program overall. With the programs that had GTA drivers being taken down (I predict the RJN team could be next), its only a matter of time before its all totally over. Sad for me considering it was initially the driving reason behind me getting a wheel as realistically, I have no shot in the current state of things to become a racing driver or attend any race.

I believe RJN is already paid for in 2016. Cars, drivers and most of the personnel,

I really hope GTA continues in some fashion, it's one of the really unique things about GT that separates it from other games. Even if it's just a virtual competition with prizes, that would still make most of us pretty happy. Perhaps we'll see with the release of GTSport, that the FIA competition is a replacement of sorts for GTA.

I think that with Nissan's current troubles in motorsport, I think GT Academy might get slimmed down dramatically, perhaps to Europe only, until things are sorted out.

That's if Nissan doesn't pull out of Blancpain as well.

there go my dreams of being a race car driver. ive been putting in wrk so much driving it has consumed most ofmy life lol. improving, discovering new stuff day by day.. well at least this is going to help me out alot when i go to my local racetrack in my car

Son of a... Argh! Oh well, always something else to do. 🤬

Speaking of 🤬, can we get a widget of a censored with a smile?

I wonder if another manufacturer will step up to promote their motorsports program? Besides Toyota in LMP1 and Honda in F1 there's really not much I can think of. And a non-Japanese manufacturer is unlikely.

I wonder if another manufacturer will step up to promote their motorsports program? Besides Toyota in LMP1 and Honda in F1 there's really not much I can think of. And a non-Japanese manufacturer is unlikely.

Mazda and Spec Miata would seem like a good fit. Less of a "become a pro driver" program and more of a "get a leg up into grass roots motorsport" program. Prize for winning is a Miata race car and entry into a year of races as a branded Mazda driver or something.

I'd actually prefer that more than GTA, as it would be possible for anyone to follow in the winners footsteps if they really work hard and save their pennies for a few years. And then there's no danger of running out of seats in your motorsports program or anything, because each year you're just throwing the winner(s) a car and some cash for race entry and expenses.

Mazda and Spec Miata would seem like a good fit. Less of a "become a pro driver" program and more of a "get a leg up into grass roots motorsport" program. Prize for winning is a Miata race car and entry into a year of races as a branded Mazda driver or something.

I'd actually prefer that more than GTA, as it would be possible for anyone to follow in the winners footsteps if they really work hard and save their pennies for a few years. And then there's no danger of running out of seats in your motorsports program or anything, because each year you're just throwing the winner(s) a car and some cash for race entry and expenses.

Mazda already does this (Mazda Shootout), more or less, in the states. A former GT Academy finalist won it this year and got his invite from winning an MX5 Cup season in iRacing. There was one other iRacing invite, the rest were club racers who won a national event, whether that be Spec Miata, NASA PT, etc.

https://www.scca.com/articles/1998604-glenn-mcgee-wins-2015-mazda-road-to-24-shootout

Mazda already does this (Mazda Shootout), more or less, in the states. A former GT Academy finalist won it this year and got his invite from winning an MX5 Cup season in iRacing. There was one other iRacing invite, the rest were club racers who won a national event, whether that be Spec Miata, NASA PT, etc.

https://www.scca.com/articles/1998604-glenn-mcgee-wins-2015-mazda-road-to-24-shootout

Heh, so much for that idea. But it's awesome that Mazda is doing that already. I really like that as a way of getting talented people more involved in motorsport, as well as promoting Mazda at the same time.

Well along with Nissans announcement to drop the GTRLM program they have also dropped Steven Doherty,

I haven't seen any information on Steve being dropped. I saw he posted the below on Twitter. I thought he was looking for seat time since Nissan pulled out of IMSA and he is out of a ride along with Nick and Nic. Knowing Nissan even if Steve was dropped they wouldn't announce it.

Steve Doherty ‏@SteveDoherty023
Dec 12

@DriveHunters anyone needing a fast bronze? I am available. Please contact asap. Thanks!

Latest Posts

Back