Countdown Timer for gtplanet

• Thread starter ynot
  • 10 comments
United States
San Antonio, Texas
Obi-Tonobi
There used to be a 3rd party countdown timer that some threads where using a year or so ago. I used it as well. Gave a live countdown to race time so anyone in the world would know how many hours till the race started.

It stopped working one day and I have not seen anyone use something like that since.

Any change someone from gtplanet could incorporate one into the site someday.

Would be a nice addition.

Thanks for reading.

Yes, i believe a site update happened a while ago which had the unfortunate side effect of disabling these countdowns. I think Jordan updated the infrastructure, which ended up making it so that GTP's servers only checked back at image hosting websites once a week, which means that daily countdowns didn't work. Or something like that. I can't find the update log post that describes this though, so maybe I am wrong. :)

I did find this site that I used last night for a club member in Norway. It wont show you the timer in your thread posting but it will create a link on it that takes you to the timer. It works ok but I really want one that shows the countdown clock in the thread here in gtplanet.

https://www.onlinecountdowns.com/

Jordan, if your reading by any chance, could we get something like this working on this site?

Thanks again for everyones time.

Your best bet is a link to a countdown timer and skipping the dynamic/image route.

TB
Your best bet is a link to a countdown timer and skipping the dynamic/image route.
What is dynamic/image route? When the image and time are visible here in gtplanet vs a link to a separate site and see the timer there?

What is dynamic/image route? When the image and time are visible here in gtplanet vs a link to a separate site and see the timer there?
In the past, you could use a countdown timer site and post their .gif image on GTPlanet so you could see the image updating in real time. The problem with that method was page load performance as it had to constantly update the image. The new forum software doesn't support that method so you're going to have to link to an external site if you want a timer.

TB
In the past, you could use a countdown timer site and post their .gif image on GTPlanet so you could see the image updating in real time. The problem with that method was page load performance as it had to constantly update the image. The new forum software doesn't support that method so you're going to have to link to an external site if you want a timer.
Thank you, thats what I thought you meant.

Latest Posts

Back