Country Classic Cars (Who uses 56K anymore?)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jim Prower
  • 13 comments
  • 1,263 views

Jim Prower

The Big Blue Ford.
Premium
Messages
10,620
Messages
gtp_jimprower
Hey, guys, I went down to a place in Staunton, IL with my grandpa's antique car club. The guy's a dealer, dealing in '80s and earlier vehicles. It's pretty neat, there's a lot of old American iron, there. these caught my eye.

WARNING: If you are here expecting a whole bunch of shiny, fully restored cars, turn back. Many of the cars I took pictures of are priced less than $10,000, are in less than perfect condition, and a couple even belong in the "Questionable Modifications" thread. I don't want to hear a bunch of bellyaching about how the cars aren't perfect, but I do hope you enjoy some of these old cars for what they are.

countryclassiccar.jpg


Here's the main building. See if you can identify the collection up front.

Jeepster.jpg


This Jeepster was pretty sharp. It was among the better cars, hence why it's inside.

yellowZ.jpg


I badly wanted this one. They actually had three S30s, an early 280, a late 280, and this 240. the Late 280Z was pretty bad, some moron had stuck a wing onto it, and it had been resprayed, so I didn't snap it. This one was in really good condition.

Checker.jpg


A '79 Checker Marathon, the Civilian version of the famous Checker Cab. This one was okay, save for that flat. It'd been sitting awhile, I surmise.

Fiatbrava.jpg


Wait, Fiat sold cars other than the X1/9 in America? this was an '81 Brava.

GNengine.jpg


There was a Regal T-Type, and this Grand National there. I couldn't get a shot of the entire GN, so I got the engine instead.

XR7.jpg


This Cougar XR7 wasn't in great shape, but wasn't bad, either. It'd been modified a little, and probably resprayed.

Grumman.jpg


What happens when you deck out a Grumman mail truck. I think it may have come from the factory this way.

whitejag.jpg


SHARP Jag.

edselmaw.jpg


The forerunner to the 2008 Focus, the Edsel ate babies, too. Actually, it looks kinda cool, and I couldn't resist a photo op.

whitecuda.jpg


This poor Barracuda looked so sad, sinking into the ground. It looks pretty solid...will someone please rescue it?

dattruk.jpg


This little guy made me smile. It's a little Datsun truck, and it has a beer keg as a fuel tank.

torino500.jpg


There was a GTO nearby, but, meh, this Torino was undeniably cooler.

bus1.jpg

bus2.jpg


A pair of VW buses. there were some Bugs out there, too, and a Thing, but I couldn't get good pictures.

ihotrod.jpg


IH pickup turned into a hot rod. I wasn't sure what to think.

ihtruck.jpg


Later IH. I liked this one better.

questionable1.jpg


Uh...That's not an AMC....that's not even a cool car. (Any mods you see, the dealer didn't do.)

POWERWAGON.jpg


Now THAT's getting your name across!

rampage.jpg


It may be ugly, and in rough condition, but it's kinda cool seeing Dodge's "ute," the Omni-based Rampage.

Kaiser.jpg


HERE'S a neat old car. It's a Kaiser, from an American independent of the early '50s. You don't see many of these, in any condition.

Lincolntrunk.jpg


The photo doesn't do it justice: you could stick a small graveyard's worth of bodies in that trunk.

quetionable2.jpg


More "eew" -ness. This car has an SBC swap, tint, ugly wheels, Pipes an inch away from being Demi-Bosozoku...yeah. ew.

v864cad.jpg


Nothing special here, just a crummy old Cadillac, right?

v864.jpg


Wrong. It had the failed V8-6-4 option. First time seeing one in person, t'was kinda neat.

62buick.jpg


Ever wonder what the Buick Special in GT4 looked like stock? Now you know.

row.jpg


A row showing the selection, here.

OrangeZ.jpg


This is the early 280Z I was talking about. It's pretty sharp, though it had a slight miss, and a "Rare" automatic transmission option. There was a young couple (or perhaps father and daughter) looking it over for serious consideration. It was the first of the S30s I saw, and I'd have taken it if I had the money. That is, of course, until I saw that yellow 240...

so, that was my day. what do you guys think?
 
That Datsun pickup has been at CCC for at least three years. they have a huge number of the dealsonwheels listings. Thanks for the pics. 👍
 
No problem! I did add a few more.
 
I've gone through their website quite a few times, it's a good time-waster. :)
 
Wow! I haven't seen a Cadillac 8-6-4 car in years... They're amazingly rare (and for good reason)!

I love places like that. You get to poke around and look at stuff, maybe get some project ideas and such. That Checker car you had there was actually built long, long ago in a plant about 40 minutes from my house, a very rare find indeed.
 
cool collection in my opinion.

i dont follow the herd so this appeals to me.
 
yellowZ.jpg

XR7.jpg

OrangeZ.jpg

dattruk.jpg

whitejag.jpg


I'll take those please, ship 'em down to Texas.

Hey, how much was the two Z cars and that XR7?
 
There was a 1965 Galaxie that was there for 3 years or more...
 
Wow! I haven't seen a Cadillac 8-6-4 car in years... They're amazingly rare (and for good reason)!

I love places like that. You get to poke around and look at stuff, maybe get some project ideas and such. That Checker car you had there was actually built long, long ago in a plant about 40 minutes from my house, a very rare find indeed.

That V8-6-4 was one of several sinking into the ground, and it was pretty rough, don't know if it ran or not. If you're ever south of Springfield, IL on I-55, stop by there. My Grandpa got his '51 Chrysler from there.

It was a fun day, and Most of the cars I pictured were under $10K. They weren't perfect, but hey, so long as they ran and drove, I'd have taken one. If I weren't flat broke. He's got a nice heated building where there were a bunch of sharp old Musclecars and hot rods, but I don't think he had anything over $50,000.

JCE
I'll take those please, ship 'em down to Texas.

Hey, how much was the two Z cars and that XR7?

He actually will ship. Seriously. He goes all over the country buying cars, usually consignments, and he also acts as a broker.

all three of those cars are between $5K and $10K. The 280 actually stickered the lowest of the three you're inquiring about, around $6,500. The yellow 240 was immaculate, it was $9,700 or so, if I remember. Reading that windshield on that XR7, it's $8,950, but it's not very original, there's a little rust on it, and it had been recently resprayed. If you haggle a bit, you could probably get him to go down.

That Datsun truck, reading the sticker, looks like $2,450, and that Jaguar's not bad, either.
 
The 280 actually stickered the lowest of the three you're inquiring about, around $6,500. The yellow 240 was immaculate, it was $9,700 or so

WOW.

Trust me, if I had $6,500 cash I would SO buy that Z.
 
Well, I dunno. It had a bit of a miss when I heard it running, and it had a (rare) Automatic transmission option.
 
Great photos 👍 - it's nice to see some interesting stuff that you don't normally see around here (GTP).


This would make an ideal basis for a historic race car. This one raced at Goodwood last year (or the year before) and could probably fetch £60-80k $$$$$

 
Not for that one, though. It had been sitting awhile and was sinking into the ground. Fairly solid, not much interior, but it looked like a sad puppy, and it should be rescued by someone who needs a real project. I'm not sure how much he wanted, as it'd been washed off the windshield.

I'd import one of the Hemi head slant sixes from Australia, and put the Formula S suspension under it, if I could.
 
Back